mtbr member
    Jun 2011

chainline help for flash 29er Carbon

I copied this from the wolftooth thread. I didn't know that the BB shell was different? maybe it isn't and the stays are a bin wider, I don't know. I am just trying to think ahead for when I become a real man and run a bigger ring

Figured I would get more insight on the frame differences here and ring advice on the other thread.

Need help on my gxp DM. Switched to a carbon frame today and things are all messed up.

here's the clearance with the 10mm spacer and a mm or added from shims to clear the stay. These were both bb30 bikes. both Cannondale flash 29

I have a 16mm that was on my alloy frame to begin with. When I switched over to the x9 I used the 10mm spacer and it worked perfect. If I use the 16mm spacer (if its even possible) my chain line will be pretty messed up (at least I think)

heres the middle cog and it looks to be pretty good.

looks like if I go out any further this will get worse.

Thing is I would like to get a 32 or 34 tooth one day. there is no way there is room in there right now. unless the rings are offset different for different tooth sizes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    On the alloy frame we have the 16mm spacer making us need to use the standard DM WT chainring. If you are using the 10mm space now you probably need the BB30 DM chainring now.
    2011 Vassago Bandersnatch HT 29er
    2013 Cannondale F29 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    No go on the 15.4 this is a short spindle crank. I hope that chain line is ok as I have no money for a while.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So the alloy had an indent for clearance, the carbon doesn't.

Does this chanline look ok to ride for a month or two?

Gears change fine. I just worry obout the frame if anything bad was to happen.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    As long as nothing is rubbing/touching the frame you should be ok to ride the bike for a while. Shifting my not be optimal in some gears and you may induce a little extra wear to the cassette/chainring in some as well. The real question is if the crank you are running right now is the correct on for the bike. You say you switched to an X9? If so that could be the problem if it has a short spindle and like the alloy frame the carbon frame may also need a long spindle. Do you still have your other crank? Anyone else have any thouhgts?
    2011 Vassago Bandersnatch HT 29er
    2013 Cannondale F29 1

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    So the alloy had a 3x10 on a long spindle with 15.4mm spacer.

The x9 is a short spindle with 9.1mm spacer.

The short spindle with 9mm worked great due to the relief in the chain stay.

As far as I can tell the shirt spindle is ok to use as I can still turn the preload run on the non drive side a couple turns. That tells me the crank is mating to the sling as much as it should. However the alloy wih the shirt spindle had some side to side play before using the preload ring.

Im going to put a straight edge on the ring and see how it looks.

Any more thoughts?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    You need the BB30 DM from Wolftooth. It is flatter than the GXP that you are running. Short spindle cranks requires BB30, long spindle requires GXP.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Ordered the bb30. Its sitting in North Carolina waiting for me to pick it up.

I am still concerned that the extra 5mm might cause some wear on the components. I haven't heard of any issues with people running xx1 on the flash so I will just see how it goes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Keep the 9.1 spacer with the BB30 DM. According to WTC you'll be fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I have the bb30 ring (looks awesome!) but I cant help but wonder if it could he shifted in bound a mm or two. I've been in brevard nc and there is a ton if climbing. I havent run into any issues yet but it does appear to he wearing alittle more due to me needing tue large cog to climb these amazing hills.