mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Chainguide suggestions

I'm looking for a 1x10 chainguide for my F29 carbon. What are the options besides going custom (Hellöre for instance)?

LA CHÈVRE
    I looked into that too for my Scalpel... Could not get my brain to accept paying 100$ for a MRP or E.13... I mean, they're just simple plastic derailleurs without mechanism, I don't understand how they can cost as much as the most hi-tech front derailleurs. So I modified an old XT front deraileur I had laying around and I have never dropped my chain...

If paying that much is a consideration, might as well spend a little more and get a XX1 spider and chainring (which I may end up doing once the Cannondale's own XX1 Hollowgram spider starts shipping). I'm still playing around with chainline and ring size though

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I'm not really interested in getting another crankset. What I'm looking for is just a possibility to run 1x10 in some races.

I might just wait for the Wolf Tooth drop-stop spiderless chainring, and try it without a chainguide (my bike has a Shadow plus RD). I just hope it's not going to be ridiculously expensive.

LA CHÈVRE
    What crankset do you have?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Sram S2210

LA CHÈVRE
    So you do have the removable spider... There is always the possibility of getting a SRAM XX1 ring and XX1 spider for your crank, although I expect it must be more expensive than the Wolf Tooth option.

If it's just for some races, maybe just putting the properly sized ring you want, keep the derailleur on there as a guide. That would be the cheapest and simplest, no need to take off and re-install the left shifter/cable/derailleur each time you switch... I was looking more into a permanent switch (hence the cleaner, better option of going XX1)

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    I might also just wait for SRAM to release aftermarket spiders. Then I could get a spider + XX1 chainring for my crankset, and that would be it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    I looked into that too for my Scalpel... Could not get my brain to accept paying 100$ for a MRP or E.13... I mean, they're just simple plastic derailleurs without mechanism, I don't understand how they can cost as much as the most hi-tech front derailleurs. So I modified an old XT front deraileur I had laying around and I have never dropped my chain...

If paying that much is a consideration, might as well spend a little more and get a XX1 spider and chainring (which I may end up doing once the Cannondale's own XX1 Hollowgram spider starts shipping). I'm still playing around with chainline and ring size though
    Nice work! Cost does seem ridiculous for simple pieces like this. I'm trying to work something similar using this Paul chainkeeper -- Paul Components Paul Chain Keeper 28.6 Black in Tree Fort Bikes Chain Guides (cat463) -- but I need to customize to make it work with a bashguard since I like cranking over big logs. Since the usual position around the chain and ring would interfere with the bash, i'm hoping that moving it to the inside of the chainring with just enough clearance to avoid rub will work... any thoughts or advice?
    Wondering how to account for the big gap that it looks like the chain will fall right thru when chain is angled over to the smaller cogs. Maybe screw on a little shelf somehow that would run under the (upper) chain, so that despite the lateral play available it won't fall DOWN??

Any suggestions much appreciated!!