mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Chain catcher/watcher for Scalpel 29er?

Anybody out there using a chain catcher for their Scalpel 29er? I'm having a few minor chain suck issues, but, the chain is getting lodged in the BB under that large bolt on the front der. There's not much room in there for the chain to fall, but somehow it wedges in between and gets stuck between the crank and the frame. Not a good thing.

Wondering what you guys are using (outside of the 1x guys) for a 2x10.

Thanks

SS XC Junkie
    I'm having a little issue with my Flash29 dropping the chain outside the chainring (pedal side of the chainring.) For me this is an adjustment issue. I've simply been forgetting to fine tune the outer adjustments - I get the actual names high and low confused with what they do. One thing I have noticed, I dropped my chain a few times the other day. After I got back to the car I noticed the clutch (XTR Shadow rear derail) was not in the 'on' position. If you don't have a 'clutch' rear derail you may want to invest in one. I used the SRAM XO on my previous bike and it pretty much stopped all my chain drops. On my F29, I don't hear the chain slap and I don't drop it unless the clutch isn't in the 'on' position.

On my old bike (Lynskey Pro29) when I was running 2x10 I had a problem dropping the chain on the inside (frame side.) I was looking at the chain catchers but ultimately our team mechanic was able to get my front derail adjusted so that it no longer dropped inside - magic of 20years of experience I guess. That combined with the clutch based derail and I never dropped a chain again.