mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Ceramic BB bearings on C'dale SI cranks?

Does anyone have experience using Real World Cycling/Enduro Fork Seals Ceramic Hybrid bottom bracket on their Cannondale? http://www.enduroforkseals.com/id180.html

If this has been discussed elsewhere in this forum just let me know. I did a search on mtbr but didn't find anyone talking about specifically using the ceramic hybrid bb on the c'dale SI cranks.

If you have experience riding/racing ceramic bearings in wheels or bb (or pulleys) I'd love to hear about your experiences and learn whether you think it makes a difference.

thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    I have ceramic pulleys. ceramic bearing on my lefty wheel and rear as well. ceramic bearing for the bottom bracket in the sl crankset. and it feels faster. it rolls smooth and from what I know they last much longer than the steel bearing... I really like but they are expensive......

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by sebastian21
    I have ceramic pulleys. ceramic bearing on my lefty wheel and rear as well. ceramic bearing for the bottom bracket in the sl crankset. and it feels faster. it rolls smooth and from what I know they last much longer than the steel bearing... I really like but they are expensive......
    What brand of ceramic bearings are you using? I read that F1 Racing are top notch but way too expensive!

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    im using the enduro bearing . they are good and not that expensive

mad aussie
    I use the ceramic SI bearings that Cannondale sells, which are pretty high quality. From what I understand some of the low grade ceramics are not as good as a high quality steel bearing. I know some people have had poor durability with the enduro bearings. The ceramic balls last a long time, but the races will wear.

I was recently talking to Cannondale tech and they said that their tests showed NO significant improvement with the ceramics over their standard bearings in terms of wattage. I asked why they sold them, and the answer was that they are a hot item and people want them right now. At least I have the cool red dust caps!

Kevin

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    I use the ceramic SI bearings that Cannondale sells, which are pretty high quality. From what I understand some of the low grade ceramics are not as good as a high quality steel bearing. I know some people have had poor durability with the enduro bearings. The ceramic balls last a long time, but the races will wear.

I was recently talking to Cannondale tech and they said that their tests showed NO significant improvement with the ceramics over their standard bearings in terms of wattage. I asked why they sold them, and the answer was that they are a hot item and people want them right now. At least I have the cool red dust caps!

Kevin
    They may not roll much better if at all, but they should be a little lighter. But is that weight savings worth the $$$$$$$
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mad aussie
    Weight savings is only a few grams at best. Extended durability is the main advantage as long as you use a high grade (Cannondale uses Grade 5 I believe). I think the advantage would be greater with the external bottom bracket designs because the smaller diameter and more exposed location.

Kevin