Ride what you want!!

Cdale still around?

Excuse my ignorance, but I though Cdale went bankrupt. Did they get bought? Are they still American made? Whatps the deal?

george
    Trogs: Too Tough for Carbon Fiber

mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Yep

http://www.cannondale.com/company/pr.../20030505.html

The motorsport venture killed them.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    The LBS's say that their orders and claims are getting processed much faster than ever. Local inventory is ample and flowing.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Still kickin'

Quote Originally Posted by george_da_trog
    Excuse my ignorance, but I though Cdale went bankrupt. Did they get bought? Are they still American made? Whatps the deal?

george
    Basically they were bought by their major creditor.

Sold off the motorsports division (the ATV was OK, the motorcycle bombed)

Fired some of the top management just before Interbike in Oct.

Go here << http://www.bicycleretailer.com >> and search for Cannondale if you want more info.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

more info...

C-dale was purchased by Pegasus LLP, and their plan is to build the company and sell it off in 5 years. They are committed to keeping production in the US, and continuing the tradition of pushing the envelope of product development. With the high-tech factory that they have, the potential is very high. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that everything works out long term.

resident crackpot
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy©®™
    Sold off the motorsports division (the ATV was OK, the motorcycle bombed)

Fired some of the top management just before Interbike in Oct.
    I thought it was the ATV that nailed the coffin shut. Didn't they make MXers for at least a few years and then went to ATV? Actually, I think they went to the bad place when they began manufacturing their own engines. The framework they obviously knew what was going on, but not everyone can be Keith Black.

jcw
    Ride your bicycle(s)!

I'd say it was the entire motorsport division...

that did 'em in. Every unit they sold, be it motorcycle or ATV, was sold at a loss. However they were never able to get past the initial horrendous motorcycle engine debacle. The ATV's worked well and were well received, but they had already dug themselves too deep a hole. In hindsight it's easy to say "yeah, it was really stupid for C-dale to try to design and build their own engine from the ground up", but that's the way C-dale does things, or at least used to do things. And if it works well, you have a unique product that stands out from everybody else (think Lefty). If it flops, you end up looking like a moron. I think they really thought they could build a better mousetrap.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

In addition...

Quote Originally Posted by jcw
    ...The ATV's worked well and were well received, but they had already dug themselves too deep a hole. ....
    ... C'dale tried to leverage the demand for the ATV to move the overstock of motorcycles. For a dealer to get one ATV they had to take 3-4 motos (can not remember the exact number). Nobody would buy the motos and dealers were not willing to buy unsellable motos to get the ATV so they dropped C'dales completely. By the time C'dale declared bankruptcy The motorsport division was basically worthless: No dealers. No sales. Lots of product no one wanted. Lots of debt that was funded by bicycles sales.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Quote Originally Posted by loonyOne
    I thought it was the ATV that nailed the coffin shut. Didn't they make MXers for at least a few years and then went to ATV? Actually, I think they went to the bad place when they began manufacturing their own engines. The framework they obviously knew what was going on, but not everyone can be Keith Black.
    Whuh? Who is Keith Black and what does he have to do with Cannondale?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Who is Keith Black and what does he have to do with Cannondale?
    LOL

Guess your not a motor-head

Keith Black is an engine builder. He was the first to make a 540 Big Block (using his long stroke crank and custom forged alloy block).

However, today people like Pat Musi are the ones on top of their sport and KB was/is yesterdays news

The point loonyOne was making was, not everyone can be everything. Cannondale was on an ego high thinking they could build a World MX SuperCross bike all in-house and from scratch. What Tucker did in the 40's...Cannondale did in the late 90's (sorta-kinda). Besides, the Cannondale dirtbike was waaay too heavy and not as good as a CR or YZ.

Well, you asked
    Last edited by RaveOn; 01-03-2004 at 09:29 PM.

tl1
    Bicyclist
    Actually the name rang a bell but I couldn't place it.
    (Detroit motor head born and raised but out of following motorsport for a while now).

Thanks.

resident crackpot

The point I was making...

Was exactly what RaveOn referred to...kind of. Cannondale became very vain at the thought that since they had mucho experience building aluminum frames, and lotso luck with the full suspension bicycle frame. 1 + 1 =2...right? This is where the corporate level comes in and some dipshit thinks that the corporation can build an MXer, AND build the engine (Keith Black referrence...builder of exceptional BB engines) in house (basically), and make beau coupe dinero...singing all the way to the bank. The accountants thought that they could float the motorsports division by borrowing against the bicycle division. But, as referred to below, the dealers were scared away by required 'incentives' and the boat sailed on the whole damn corporation. Now think about this...What group of lawyers actually thought this was a good idea?? I mean, isn't it their jobs to find a way to secure all assets?? Especially in this day and age. I personally don't like Cannondales, but I hope that they don't fall into the same fate as Mongoose, Schwinn, Giant, GT, and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by tl1
    Actually the name rang a bell but I couldn't place it.
    (Detroit motor head born and raised but out of following motorsport for a while now).

Thanks.