mtbr member
    May 2007

C'Dale Hardtail Build - Help

I recently picked up an F2000SL Optimo frame w/Ultra Headshock and would like to build a sweet ride without breaking the bank. Being inclined to stay mostly with the spec'd build of XT components, I'd love to hear what the MTBR community has experienced. My goal is a lightweight bike which takes in to account today's technology. Basic decisions - Mechanical or hydraulic brakes? (Avid is a preference - which model?) BB/Crank/drivetrain - (XT looks like a solid answer - chich model?) Wheels - (Mavic - I don't need DH/Jump for my style...) I'm a longtime Hardtail fan (even on the 2 hour+ rides) as I prefer the road bike similarties when the headshock is locked out. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated!
    JMang

Cannondale Snob
    XT Dual Control hydraulic shifter/brakes with XT calipers. Light, rugged, intuitive to use, and I've picked up a complete package (used) on EBay for $200 shipped.

Mavic rims... Depends on your budget and preference. I have CrossLands on my Rush and they hold up well. They're not particularly light, but they are pretty cheap (good value).
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    XT crank/cassete/fd
    SRAM X.9 gripshift/rd/chain
    Avid Juicy 7 or Magura Louise brakes
    DT340/DTrevolution/Mavic717 wheels

it's pretty light, it works, and it's not to expensive.

Evil, apparently
    I really love my Avid mechanical disc brakes. Simple maintenance, and won't break the bank.
    "Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that."-Homer J. Simpson

"It's called cyber courage,a sad pathetic disease...."-T3