mtbr member
    Mar 2010

cdale badboy help with mtb wheelset

hey, i have a badboy ultra (2009) that i love to ride. as it came with road tires, my rides have been on paved surfaces. now i want to start some off-road riding (not too aggressive, just some fire trail etc). when i bought the bike the store owner (who had a badboy also) told me that one of the good things about it was the ability to put on 26" mtb wheelset and it would be a good hardtail. i looked at the F3 (?) and the specs seem to be exactly the same as the badboy, just with 26" mtb tires.
    has anyone used this bike for both types of riding by interchanging wheelsets?

i know the best solution is 2 different bikes...but will this work?

mtbr member
    Yes it will work, that is the plan with the bad boy, when they first came out I think they even came with 2 wheel sets.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thx!
    considering that the badboy cost around $1400 US, is it overkill for me to spend $500-$600 on a good wheelset and tires ( I was looking at the Mavic Crosstrail ) to go with the badboys caffine frame...?

mtbr member
    Seems to me that the BB height would be rather low with that kind of wheel size swap?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    It's only overkill if you're never going to ride it! I bought the Mavic Crossmax ST for my bad boy and it works fine.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    If you are just going to fireroad ,you could just change the tires, I put some Schwalbe Marathon Cross on mine, they have snakeskins so they could work for you.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by kneejerk
    Seems to me that the BB height would be rather low with that kind of wheel size swap?
    Well, the BB height with 26" mtb tires would be just like a F-series hardtail or similar to the current Flash (and about the same as with 700x23c road tires), not a problem riding trails, even less on fire roads... The 09 Bad Boy Ultra frame is a mountain bike frame, a Caffeine, with road wheels, not a hybrid frame so it not only is well adapted to be ridden as a mountain bike, it was actually designed to.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    u mean keep the wheels and just change the tires (different tread)...wouldnt the rims be to fragile for off road?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by mbenjamin
    u mean keep the wheels and just change the tires (different tread)...wouldnt the rims be to fragile for off road?
    If you are truly riding on fire roads or rail trails , which are basically dirt roads, I would say that the wheels will hold up OK.

I wouldn't try any sort of XC work with them though. I have a Rize for that.

If you want to see some nice wheelsets of an MTB style , look in the Post Your Bad Boy thread for DarkAce's bike, near the end of the thread.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I have a Bad Boy Solo that I put Mavic crosstrails on and it works fine. Nothing to rigorous just casual trail riding.
    2010 Bad Boy Lefty

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by texas john
    I have a Bad Boy Solo that I put Mavic crosstrails on and it works fine. Nothing to rigorous just casual trail riding.

With all respect to TJ; for the OP to spend around $600 on CrossTrails ,excellent product though they are, for the occasional off road rail trail excursion seems like a sledgehammer to crack a nut, but i am sure there a plenty of bike shops willing to take his money.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    which wheelset would you recommend? i plan on going off road 3 to 4 times /mth...is that occasional? its just i dont want to go too aggressive (yet).

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    which wheelset would you recommend? i plan on going off road 3 to 4 times /mth...is that occasional? its just i dont want to go too aggressive (yet).
    I'm not an expert , but if you think you are eventually going to venture off trails onto more technical stuff I personally wouldn't want to do that on the road wheels so a change to a more MTB ready wheelset is a good idea.

The Mavic Crosstrails are a well respected wheelset and would work for what you want , you should also look up the Stan's No-Tubes website for other wheelsets.

You can probably get a Mavic wheelset , tires etc from Pricepoint for around the $600 mark.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    thanks i will check out stans...
    alot of helpful posts here. if anyone else has any other thoughts please post...thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

next BBU upgrade?

Hi,

I did exactly that with my '08 BBU, picked up a set of Crosstrails and a new cassette so I have a nice quick change-over when going XC.

After a while I found I was spending a lot of time adjusting the standard Avids to keep them feeling good, so I invested in XT brakes, which I find great and mostly hassle free.

These days I am spending about 50% of my time on my 700c wheels and 50% on the Crosstrails - has anyone got any suggestions as to what my next upgrade should be? (aside from a Flash!). Everything else on the bike is stock.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by texas john
    John,

What size are your crossTrials and which tires are you running - tubeless?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010

bad boy...another question to my original post from 4 weeks ago...

regarding getting a new wheelset (mavic crosstrail for example) so i can take my badboy off road, a rider suggested that if i am only going on firetrails, etc...and not more than 50% of the time...that i should just get new tires for my 700 wheels...and he said they should be ones that are knobby on the side and smooth on the center (slicks?). he said that those tires could be the only ones i would need for both paved and off road riding.
    any opinions on this please?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    regarding getting a new wheelset (mavic crosstrail for example) so i can take my badboy off road, a rider suggested that if i am only going on firetrails, etc...and not more than 50% of the time...that i should just get new tires for my 700 wheels...and he said they should be ones that are knobby on the side and smooth on the center (slicks?). he said that those tires could be the only ones i would need for both paved and off road riding.
    any opinions on this please?
    Which tires - brand or model is he suggesting ?

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    he didnt suggest a brand...can you?

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    he didnt suggest a brand...can you?
    I'm not familiar with a tire which is slick in the middle and knobbly on the sides. i would suggest looking at the Schwalbe and Kenda web sites.