mtbr member
    Jun 2008

Causes of chain slippage?

Every now and then the chain on my F1000 will slip when pedaling hard or going up hills in the higher gears? Any idea what the cause might be? It feels to me like it's slipping in the back but the cassette looks like its in good shape. On the chain rings (Coda) there are a couple of teeth filed down but that's to "aide shifting" as coda puts it and shouldn't cause the chain to slip. Any ideas?
    [SIZE="4"]Don't take life to seriously because you can't get out alive-Warren Miller[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Money can't buy life-Bob Marley[/SIZE]

LA CHÈVRE
    If it slips and moves to a different gear, your derailleur is probably not well adjusted but it's probably not the only thing if the chain actually slips. How old are the drivetrain components? Probably not young if it's branded as Coda... If the cassette is fine but the chain is very stretched, it will not work at it's best. And there is a difference between 'looks' in good shape and being in good shape. Another thing is chain tension. If the chain is too stretched or too long (too many links), the derailleur can take enough of it's slack and so the chain can skip more easily.... It's hard to diagnose these things on a forum though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah I'm just trying to get an idea of what it might be. I'll probably eventually replace the drive train anyway. Everything shifts smoothly so I'm pretty sure the derailleurs are fine. The drive train is pretty old. The bike I believe is a 98 and the cassette and chainring are stock. All other components have been upgraded by the owner before me. I know this because that year comes with LX components and when I got it it was all XT. Let's say theoretically if I replaced the cassette, crankest, and new chain what are the odds that it would fix the problem?
    [SIZE="4"]Don't take life to seriously because you can't get out alive-Warren Miller[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="4"]Money can't buy life-Bob Marley[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Probably a worn out chian and cassette, and possibly chainrings too...

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Measure the chain. Assuming no chain guage a good steel rule will do. 12 "whole" links are 12" new. If they measure 12 1/8" replace the chain if they're 12 1/4" the cassette is also US. If that doesn't fix it the rings too are probably past it.