mtbr member
    Jan 2010

New question here. Carpal Tunnel... need a FIX!!!

Starting to flare up again & need to address it before I have to have surgery again. Ride a 2010 29er 3 (stock). Need to address the vibrations & possibly my reach. Any suggestions? Too much stress on my hands & wrists. Considering any & all of the following... going to carbon bars, maxing out the Headshock stem height (C'dale rep was in my LBS shop tonight & said it was 20). Shortening to shortest stem length, going to a riser bar, broader sweep 700+, Ergo grips, softer composite grip, Easton carbon Ergo bar-ends (these work with Ritchey WCS carbon bars), & also want to upgrade to the BEST glove out there. ANY & ALL suggestions very much welcomed! Anyone been in this situation before? Item/situation-by-item advice or broad scope carpal tunnel insight would help.

I'm Riding It
    Apr 2005
    I would spend the dough to get your bike professionally fitted. Definitely worth the cash!
    And a HUGE thumbs up for Ergon grips. I had terrible wrist pain after every ride a couple years back, and it almost caused me to drop out of the sport altogether, but my LBS recommended I try some Ergon grips, so I did. And guess what? No more problems. If you're lucky, all you will need to do is get Ergon's and things will get better, but a pro-bike-fitting can never hurt either.

Best of luck.
    www.bikeride.ca
    Alberta born-n-raised mountain bike racer.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I second the Ergon grip suggestion. They're a little expensive, but well worth it. Especially for long descents, they really helped my wrists.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd
    I second the Ergon grip suggestion. They're a little expensive, but well worth it. Especially for long descents, they really helped my wrists.
    +1 on the Ergons , they make a real difference.

Tool
    You may want to consider weightlifting gloves with wrist support. I dont use them for biking, but they eliminated the wrist trouble I had while lifting. I have seen posts with other riders using them and recommending them.

Also, although this mostly affects the ulnar nerve and not the wrist, gloves with padded palms are not always a good thing. For me, they cause ulnar nerve problems, while for others they eliminate the problems. Sometimes there is no substitute for trial and error.

-Pete
    I can barely get my mouth around it.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Good point about padded gloves, Pete. I hadn't thought of it before, but it makes a lot of sense that the placement of pads in a glove could have a pretty big effect on the ulnar nerve. Definitely something to consider the next time I buy gloves. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    i rotated my bar. so that the sweep of the bar is 1 to 2 degrees down. relieved a lot of pressure off of my hands.