Trail Liberator

Carbon Speed lefty $700.00 fix?

I was riding last saturday on xc trail and my carbon lefty made a clank noise. I stopped and picked the front end of the bike up and I could shake the fork and move the wheel four inches. The terralogic platform was not working anymore but the shock still had rebound and compression. I eased back to the car and took the fork to the bike shop. I get a call that they cant rebuild the fork, it has to be sent to cannondale. So I get a call that cannondale wants $700.00 to upgrade the fork to the dlr2. I think that is BS. Anybody have suggestions on my next move. I could spend $700.00 on something that doesnt constantly have issues. BTW the fork might have 100 hrs and it has been serviced many times.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Terra forks aren't offered any more, due to issues and hassles had by many.

Understand that the damping guts do not make the fork. They are the jelly in the sandwich. Use the same tasty bread you like, but switch up the jelly for a different meal

Yours is unique in it's bore size, so another damper won't just plug into it, you'd need a new lower leg, and a damper, yep, sound about right price wise.

If your Terra was working, chances are it will again, with seals fresh oil, etc. The free play you have? Sounds like a fork that has too light a bearing preload, and it's starting to try to pull itself apart.

So you've had it serviced before? By the shop that said it has to go to Cannondale? If so, they never serviced it in the first place. Don't know what they did, but you can't do a service on one of those forks, and then say, it has to go to Cannondale. Something isn't adding up.....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Trail Liberator
    The fork was serviced by a different shop,and it has always had problems. That is why I decided to take it somewhere else. I always felt like I was gettting hoodooed by my lbs. Honestly the fork is great for racing and that is all I have ever used it for. Cannondale has never treated me very well and I am going to invest my money elsewhere. I have owned Trek,Specialized ,Fisher and cannondale is by far the worst at standing behind their product.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I know Craig the above poster (MendonCyclesmith) probably can't say "send it to me" with his mod status and other guidelines, but I can tell you to send it to him.

He has always sent me parts and help me with installs like he has done it 40 times in the last 2 days. So, if there is a way to fix you lefty, he'll know.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Was it Cannondale or the bike shop that never treated you well?

If "hoodooed" is a bad thing, perhaps your local shop is the real problem, and if so I would request some refunds from them for the "many times" it has been serviced.

As far as Cannondale being "the worst at standing behind their product" did you read that in Consumer Reports?

While it is unfortunate that you are having a bad experiance, perhaps your lefty can be repaired by someone like Mendoncyclesmith for an amount that is easier on the wallet?

Good luck.