mtbr member
    May 2005

New question here. Carbon seatpost?

I have a 2003 F1000 Sobe hardtail in a size small that fits well.
    I race in 40+ expert class so I have to do 4-5 laps of 5-7 mile loops.
    The bike has a Thomson Elite setback seatpost and I am wondering if going to a Carbon Fiber seatpost would help dampen the ride any?
    My back got really hammered on this last race and I am having a hard time walking, even after 5 days.

I have heard some negative feedback about suspension seatpost that they move around and hurt handling because rider position changes too much. That is why I am asking anyone about any benefits of a Carbon seatpost with noticable results.
    I bought Carbon handlebars and it sure took the shock out of my wrists and was worth the investment and hope a post would do the same?

Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    I have never noticed the damping or any of the other terms described, regarding carbon seat posts. I went from a hard tail to a fs bike and thats how I have noticed the difference. If you upgrade to fs you will notice other important things, like being faster down hill and better climbing. I suppose you could try a suspension seat post out.
    What am I going to do with forty subscriptions to Vibe?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I hate to say it but I think your best bet is full suspension, I have always been a hardtail guy but I rode the new rush and I could go way faster than on my hardtail, with the propedal I could climb similar to my hardtail, and downhill I could fly, no comparing it to a hardtail, way faster with way more control, and I didn't even notice the bumps, I did not feel beat up after the ride and we rode hard the whole time. Even though I ride my hardtail all the time and love it and it was the first time on the rush I was way faster and more comfortable through the technical stuff, it's almost like cheating.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Hi,
    If you don't go to a full suspension xc bike (the Scalpel is an fantastic weapon), check titanium seatposts like Moots or U.S.E Alien Ti.
    Titanium is the best option against vibrations and micro shocks... second choice would be carbon seatpost like Easton ec70 if the 1' layback is ok for you. That's the one I have been using for 2 years now and I am happy with it.
    Only one negative issue: these products are pretty expensive.
    http://www.moots.com
    http://www.use1.com
    http://www.eastonsports.com

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Thanks for all the responses!

I will try the moots seatpost before I completely give up.

I used to have an 04' Team Scalpel small frame and always felt like I was on stilts.
    I am 5'4" @ 127lbs.
    The Scalpel is perfect XC bike for normal height and weight riders, but I could never get that bike setup right for my size. The rear end spent way too much time in the air?
    The frame geometries must get out of wack when you consider the higher bottom bracket of FS and short wheelbase of a small frame makes the handling of turns real sketchy?
    Hard to believe that 1" makes that big of difference, but it did for me.

Thanks again.

Members who have read this thread: 0