Results 1 to 24 of 24
  1. #1
    Unicycles are for clowns
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    312

    Carbon Scalpel vs. Alum Scalpel weight!

    I see the posted build weights, but I'm curious as to the weight difference between a 2008 Carbon Scalpel vs. 2008 Aluminum Scalpel. I saw a thread on here with an aluminum build (looked great) and the poster said 30 grams heavier then the carbon (medium size?)!!! Anyone confirm?

  2. #2
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    304
    what i have heard the aluminium version is about 200 grams havier. but that is just what i have heard.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation: A-Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    223
    more like 300 grams not 30 i think he left off a ZERO
    one pedal stroke at a time

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    73
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...bon-2-08-28208


    Here's the link to a test article earlier placed in this forum and this is what is tells:

    ''The new model is available with either an alloy or carbon fibre mainframe. With Cannondale continuing to make some of the smoothest-looking alloy welds, it’s actually quite hard to tell them apart; only the warmth of the carbon to touch makes it clear which is which. Of course, there’s a weight penalty with the alloy, but not as much as you might expect. The Scalpel Carbon 2 weighs 25.90lb and the Scalpel 3 (alloy) weighs 25.97lb.''

  5. #5
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tond
    http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...bon-2-08-28208


    Here's the link to a test article earlier placed in this forum and this is what is tells:

    ''The new model is available with either an alloy or carbon fibre mainframe. With Cannondale continuing to make some of the smoothest-looking alloy welds, it’s actually quite hard to tell them apart; only the warmth of the carbon to touch makes it clear which is which. Of course, there’s a weight penalty with the alloy, but not as much as you might expect. The Scalpel Carbon 2 weighs 25.90lb and the Scalpel 3 (alloy) weighs 25.97lb.''
    That's with different builds though, doesn't mean much. I think the claimed difference is about 150 grams.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2
    150 grams is also what they claim here

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by rajaka
    150 grams is also what they claim here

    These are also different builds (october 2007), so?? (see Dan's post).

    But will there be so much difference between builds?
    Why are the weights from the MBR magazine not correct but the others are likely to be true?

  8. #8
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tond
    These are also different builds (october 2007), so?? (see Dan's post).

    But will there be so much difference between builds?
    Why are the weights from the MBR magazine not correct but the others are likely to be true?
    It's not that they are not correct, it's just that the complete bike weights doesn't tell much about the precise weight of the frames... Cannondale's claimed weights could be off too, we would have to weigh a couple of frames of each type to know for sure...

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  9. #9
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    It's not that they are not correct, it's just that the complete bike weights doesn't tell much about the precise weight of the frames... Cannondale's claimed weights could be off too, we would have to weigh a couple of frames of each type to know for sure...
    Allright Dan, I did'nt notice that these lbs weights were for the entire bike. But then it is even more strange: the complete Scalpel 4 with heavier components than the Scalpel 3 is just 30 grams heavier? What will the weightdifference be with the same components? Aluminim lighter than carbon? Or am I missing some part of the story?

    Anyway, my aluminium will be weighted soon, because we are expecting to get a new frame because the paintwork is not done properly (the stickers were loosened during the apply of the clearcoat, so the edges of the stickers are bubbeling. I will let you know.

  10. #10
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Tond
    Allright Dan, I did'nt notice that these lbs weights were for the entire bike. But then it is even more strange: the complete Scalpel 4 with heavier components than the Scalpel 3 is just 30 grams heavier? What will the weightdifference be with the same components? Aluminim lighter than carbon? Or am I missing some part of the story?

    Anyway, my aluminium will be weighted soon, because we are expecting to get a new frame because the paintwork is not done properly (the stickers were loosened during the apply of the clearcoat, so the edges of the stickers are bubbeling. I will let you know.
    What size is your's? I will try to weigh mine when it arrives (medium carbon).

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    What size is your's? I will try to weigh mine when it arrives (medium carbon).

    I have a medium too. So we'll have a proper comparison.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rumshcawheely's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    361
    Make sure you guys discuss whether you are weighing the frames with or without headset bearing and bb bearings. Ha ha. Anyway back to the total bike weight comparisons... Of course the total bike weights can differ by huge amounts. Tires and wheels alone can fluctuate a bike weight 2 lbs easily. This is why the prices jump so much from model to model. Does anyone out there have an AL version of a 08 Scalpel?? I haven't even seen one since the early prototype photos that were going around.

  13. #13
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    73
    Quote Originally Posted by rumshcawheely
    Make sure you guys discuss whether you are weighing the frames with or without headset bearing and bb bearings. Ha ha. Anyway back to the total bike weight comparisons... Of course the total bike weights can differ by huge amounts. Tires and wheels alone can fluctuate a bike weight 2 lbs easily. This is why the prices jump so much from model to model. Does anyone out there have an AL version of a 08 Scalpel?? I haven't even seen one since the early prototype photos that were going around.
    See thepicture-posting of my alu Scalpel in thread: Its finally here, the new Scalpel....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    Anyone ever get this figured out? I got a Scalpel 4 (aluminum frame version) as a leftover in 2009 and over the last year have upgrades it quite a bit, including getting bargains on Scalpen 1 take-offs for cheap (Carbon Lefty, Mavic SLR wheels and LOTS more). It's a wee bit under 23 pounds, but I've wondered what I may loose by making the jump to the carbon frame. Anyone?

  15. #15
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    Quote Originally Posted by Legba
    Anyone ever get this figured out? I got a Scalpel 4 (aluminum frame version) as a leftover in 2009 and over the last year have upgrades it quite a bit, including getting bargains on Scalpen 1 take-offs for cheap (Carbon Lefty, Mavic SLR wheels and LOTS more). It's a wee bit under 23 pounds, but I've wondered what I may loose by making the jump to the carbon frame. Anyone?
    You would loose some significant weight going with the new 2011 (and gain in stiffness and frame toughness) but in the previous generation, there isn't that much weight difference between the alloy and carbon Scalpel, I've heard around 100 grams but don't quote me on that. It's believable as only one half of the front triangle is different.

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    Hmmm, interesting. I'll have to take a look at the 2011, but I don't see any significant frame changes from the pictures.

    I thought the same (for the 2008 models) because the rear triangle is carbon on both so the only difference is going to be the front half, so how much lighter could it possibly be. From what I'm hearing it's not much. It's a fairly light duty design to begin with.

    If I could shed more than a pound with a 2011 model frame I'd think about watching flea-bay for a frame. Otherwise I'm very happy with what I've got going with the aluminum frame. If anyone has more detailed info on the 2011 frame weight I'm all ears.

  17. #17
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,755
    alu frame

    M size

    RPL shock

    english threads adapter ( 50 g )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Scalpel vs. Alum Scalpel weight!-dscn0706.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images

  18. #18
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,755
    carbon frame

    M size

    RP23 shock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Carbon Scalpel vs. Alum Scalpel weight!-dscn0613.jpg  

    Attached Images Attached Images

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    7
    Very nice, thanks!! 1/2 pound, doesn't quite seem worth the price, even in the used market.

    What year are these?

  20. #20
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,755
    2008

    i forgot to write both had same seat clamp and derailleur hanger

  21. #21
    LA CHÈVRE
    Reputation: Dan Gerous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,361
    And how much lighter is the 2011 again? Now that is worthwile upgrade!

    DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

  22. #22
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Posts
    447
    The reported weight for a large frame is 1365 grams and with shock(+226 grams RP23) is 1591 grams

  23. #23
    FIRENZE rulez !!
    Reputation: eliflap's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    3,755
    i do not want to weight frame at now ...only because it's all complete bike already assembled

  24. #24
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Posts
    17
    Great thread guys. I've been wondering myself! Thanks for the pics.

    I have a 2009 Scalpel 3 (alloy) I got a deal on and figured it would be a nice addition to my Rize One carbon. I upgraded the stock parts to the following: 2010 Speed Carbon 110mm lefty dlr, fsa k-force carbon bars, thomson seat post, Toupe' 130mm Ti saddle, juicy ultimate brakes, xtr cassette and xtr front der. All this shaved off over 3lbs, bike weighs 23lbs exactly (size L, no pedals). Wheels and cranks are stock. I will keep the DT rims but most likely upgrade the (heavy) fsa v-drive to a k-force carbon and new liter tubes which should be good for another 1/2lb.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •