mtbr member
    Dec 2003

Carbon Rush Owners - Raven 2 to Carbon Rush experience (opinions wanted)

As an owner of a Raven 2 ('01) that is already '07/'08 component upgraded (including RP23) I'm thinking of going with the Rush Carbon 3. While I'm well aware of the issues the R2 frames had, mine has been utterly outstanding! I could never own a non-carbon bike again and love the razor sharp responsiveness they generally provide (like mine). I ride mostly tight technical trails.

I'm interested in hearing from those that might have owned a '99-'02 Raven that have also owned the Rush Carbon, but will listen to other opinions.

The part that makes me wonder how well a Rush can handle in super tight technical trails is the 69-degree head tube angle. My current bike is 71-degree (yeah, I know). I realize a 69-degree bike will be safer or more controllable during anything downhill (something I rarely do), I fear it will not be as responsive as my current setup.

ps. I am not interested in the Scalpel. It was too much like a HT for my taste.

ps2. My current setup is at 26.5lbs and don't want to go over 27.5lbs!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Never owned or ridden a Raven but have ridden and owned several XC bikes over the years and can tell you that my Rush Carbon 3 handles extremely well on tight single track and at low speed.
    I do most of my riding in the mtns of WV-VA where climbs can be long and steep and have been amazed at how well and efficient this bike climbs.
    The large fits my 6.0 frame to perfection.

The Lefty does effect my over-all opinion of the Rush in a positive way.

Not sure what a completely stock bike weighs but my mostly stock Rush tips the scales at 27lbs.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Also, can someone measure from the ground to the center of the BB? (with 26" and maybe 2.1 tires)

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I think you'll be happy with the upgrade. I know I was - my Super V was upgraded to 25.5 lbs. and the Rush is soooo much faster and smoother I was amazed! Don't be concerned with the 69 deg. HT angle, it steers quick.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn
    Also, can someone measure from the ground to the center of the BB? (with 26" and maybe 2.1 tires)
    12 3/8" to center of BB with 26" 2.1 tires.
    8 3/4" from ground to big ring.

These figures drop with proper sag which gives the Rush a relatively low BB but in return you get a better handling bike "lower center of gravity".

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Bird
    12 3/8" to center of BB with 26" 2.1 tires.
    8 3/4" from ground to big ring.
    Wow, that's even lower than my current setup (12.8"). However, I've been running 2x9 for 5 years and would continue on the next horse (10" to my big ring).

What is the measurement to the bottom of the head tube? What Lefty are you using?

Quote Originally Posted by Bob H.
    I know I was - my Super V was upgraded to 25.5 lbs. and the Rush is soooo much faster and smoother I was amazed!
    I too had a Super V back in '97 and said the same thing when I bought my Raven II ('02)

Thanks for the comments folks...keep them coming

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    28 7/8 to bottom of HT.......Lefty is DLR2 (bonded).

My Stumpjumper Pro has a lower BB then my Rush,i was surprised.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I too am interested on the comparison. Currently own a 02 Super V, mildly upgraded. Seriusly considering upgrading to either a Rush or a Rize. Have you considered a Rize? Has anybody who has owned a Super V or Raven switched to a Rize?

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by speedmetal
    Have you considered a Rize?
    If I had some fast downhill runs to ride or jumped bigger gaps, I certainly would have. Its more important for me to have better uphill control.

BTW: I stopped in at a LBS and lifted an '09 Rush 7 (aluminum)...that thing felt like a tank. I kind of expected it given the cheaper components and being 1/2lb heavier out of the gate.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RaveOn
    If I had some fast downhill runs to ride or jumped bigger gaps, I certainly would have. Its more important for me to have better uphill control.

BTW: I stopped in at a LBS and lifted an '09 Rush 7 (aluminum)...that thing felt like a tank. I kind of expected it given the cheaper components and being 1/2lb heavier out of the gate.
    Yea..They are quite heavy, 29-29.5lbs I think.