mtbr member
    Jun 2006

carbon rush, 3 small issues

just showing the new bike
    pretty stock except
    xt shifters en back gears
    control tech seatpost, bar and barends scandium and titanium
    (still need to cut the bar to right size)
    needed the 400mm seat post 300 to low for me even on XL frame
    headwrench
    cateye speedo
    selle italia titanium seat white
    egg beaters C
    ----------
    edit:
    oh yeah : bike weight = 12 kg or 26.45
    (with carbo lefty, carbo cranck and mavic SLRs one could loose another 1.5 kg but price will be about double )
    ----------
    did the first ride yesterday and must say the full suspension : me likes
    (never rode a fully or front susp before on a long ride for the last 16 years )
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by joske; 04-30-2007 at 12:13 AM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    just a few questions issues :

the back disc brake tends to scrape a bit after corners, normal ?
    during a rough section the backgears moved down 1 sprocket on 2 occasions, normal ?
    everytime I stop pedalling the chain blocks up and makes a distinct clicking sound, normal ?

are these issues that come with Fsusp bikes in general or should I get the bike back to my LBS speedo ?

Huge Tracts of Land
    hey Joske

just sounds like new bike teething problems - cables stretching etc.

Whip it back to your LBS for another tune and expect things like this for the first few weeks.

I hope to have a carbon rush in the next couple of weeks - great looking pics

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by joske
    just a few questions issues :

the back disc brake tends to scrape a bit after corners, normal ?
    during a rough section the backgears moved down 1 sprocket on 2 occasions, normal ?
    everytime I stop pedalling the chain blocks up and makes a distinct clicking sound, normal ?

are these issues that come with Fsusp bikes in general or should I get the bike back to my LBS speedo ?
    Hi again,

nice one

1+2. not normal, should be fixed by your LBS
    3. didn't guess what you mean?

First of all your LBS should trim the hoses. Front brake hose is way to long and will scratch your frame. Rear shifter hose also is much too long. This could lead to ghost shifting, maybe your problem No 2.
    --
    happy trails
    redbyte

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    let me rephrase 3 :
    when pedalling, as soon as i stop pedalling but still rolling, it sounds like the chain clocks up and it hits the back chainstay... I guess, not sure what really happens ?
    anyone else has this happening ?

i asked the lbs about the scraping of the back disc, the told me this should be normal...?
    I not sure what to think?
    redbyte, there can be no scraping sounds what so ever?

thanx for the tip mtbrat, i'll let them shorten the cable when they deal with the rest.
    i did use the transparent protection decals where the cables hit the frame, somehow i missed the cable from the front brake.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

brake hosting cable

On your trip to LBS, maybe you want them to cut the hosting cable of your front brake. It looks excessive.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hi,

as I have the same bike as you do, except with sram, I had the same problem with the Avids 7.
    I think that they need brake in first and second really good alignment.
    Do not follow the instructions on the brake manual, just try to do it so when you turn the wheel the brake pads do not touch the disks. If not readjust. It can take some time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    that's the thing : when turning the wheel they do not touch the discs
    only after corner or bump it scrapes a little for 2 or 3 times and then al is back to normal
    I can imagine that's hard to adjust? should that be normal or solved by LBS ?or do i need to be patient and wait until they brake in ?

i did move the brakelevers and gearshifters inward because the handlebar needs trimming imo.
    so the cables got about an extra Inch or 3cm. regardless they still seem to long.
    they finished the bike up when I was unpaitently waiting in the shop mabey rushing them was not that good of an idea
    Last edited by joske; 04-30-2007 at 12:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    I think it' s better to wait for brake in and then see what happens.

LA CHÈVRE
    Quote Originally Posted by joske
    that's the thing : when turning the wheel they do not touch the discs
    only after corner or bump it scrapes a little for 2 or 3 times and then al is back to normal
    I can imagine that's hard to adjust? should that be normal or solved by LBS ?or do i need to be patient and wait until they brake in ?
    I would first check that everything is tight in the caliper area: caliper on the frame, rotor on the hub, hub's quick release and make sure there is no play in the hub, that the hub bearings are preloadded fine. I cannot see what rear hub you have but it could be slightly loose.

As for your other issues, new chains often come in a thick gooey grease and if they rushed the build, it might still be there, use some degreaser, clean the chain and lube it correctly. It might be what makes the chain keep rolling after you stop pedaling. Also, yes, new cables do stretch after a while so you need to readjust the derailleurs after some break-in period. Your chain moving on the cassette on rough stuff might be due to that or to the same problem causing your disc brake rub: a loose hub.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    thankx for the tips all of you guys
    i'll drop by the lbs and ask him the works, now i know for sure what to ask for and what not.
    i'll drop a post to tell how it turns out

i must say beside these 'brake in' issues i'm over the moon with the new bike
    it just slams over anything in it's path like a breeze.
    and the coolfactor alone just gives you wings