mtbr member
    Feb 2008

Carbon Rush 08' w/ Fox 32 F100 RLC

I'm having difficulty deciding what fork to put on my new rig, Cannondale Carbon Rush 08. I can't decide between the lefty or a normal 2 legged fork. I enjoy racing/competing but I need to be able to do my own adjustments and maintenance. I have a Fox 32 F100 RLC on a hardtail Jamis Dragon and it's been a great fork. Considering buying another one....

I've read mixed reviews on the lefty and I don't plan on buying the Carbon SL due to the 1200.00 price tag. Is the lefty proprietary? Do you have to use Cannondale for repairs.? I don't mind doing an overhaul every season, as long as I can do it myself. I've also read that the fork is susceptible to moisture, which can cause premature lockout/corrosion.

I'm leaning more towards a 2 legged fork since Fox always worked well for me and I can do all of the maintenance myself. Also, the Fox 32 F100 RLC is half the cost of the top end Lefty.

Any advice...
    Last edited by tojnom; 07-29-2008 at 02:48 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Maintenance shouldn't be a concern, Leftys are easy to work on you just need a couple of special tools, and in case you need help there's a guy here that everyone says provides excellent service, prices & turn around times to Lefty forks. His name is Mendon Cycle Smith (Craig) try a search.

I haven't sent my fork to him but I sure will do it when my fork needs an overhaul.

About the moisture problem I don't have a clue, it's dry most of the year where I live.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    The Rush Carbon Team has a HeadShok Si. So this means I will not be able to use a traditional fork correct? I have to use a lefty?

According to their website, the carbon rush must use a headshok integrated headset, while the alloy rush uses a standard 1.5. Page 7 of this document explains it:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf

I like to ride my bike.
    I just put a Reba on my alloy Rush and it is awesome, I'm really excited about it.

I did not have the best experience with the Lefty, for me it was waaaay too much work to keep it working, you have to play with a bunch of stuff inside the fork to get it to feel right and the brake mounts are weak. A few other small annoyances. But, it barely has any flex.

I think the Lefty is a cool concept, but there is a lot that can be done to make it better. I got a Woodman reducing headset and put the Reba on. It's a U-Turn and the distance from ctr of axle to bottom of headtube is the same with the Reba at about 110mm...just like the Lefty. So, the 100mm Fox would work well.
    I like bicycles. Bicycles make me happy. Riding them makes me even happier.
    Scott Bicycles
    Maxxis Tires
    Team Blog

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tojnom
    The Rush Carbon Team has a HeadShok Si. So this means I will not be able to use a traditional fork correct? I have to use a lefty?

According to their website, the carbon rush must use a headshok integrated headset, while the alloy rush uses a standard 1.5. Page 7 of this document explains it:

http://www.cannondale.com/asset/iu_f...plement_en.pdf
    As far as I know, this is incorrect. The Cannondale Rush 3z Carbon (USA) has a reducer headset. You would have to order a Cannondale Integrated ORBIT Z headset from your local cannondale dealer. This is (as far as I know) the only integrated reducer headset that can be used with Cannondale carbon Rush's.

Why not go with the lefty though? Its a great fork. Extremely Stiff, light and well balanced. The only problem is that the SL is $1200. I would say go with a Lefty Carbon SL if you plan to do any racing on it due to its adjustability.

I have a lefty speed dlr2 on my rush and it is perfectly tuned with the rear fox shock. As of right now, I cant see myself getting another fork. The Lefty Speed is a little cheaper than the SL, $800, but only a couple hundred grams heavier. This fork can compair (price wise) to a F100.

Go Lefty.