mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Is the Carbon Lefty worth it?

Hi there-
    I have the standard Lefty PBR 29er that came on my 2011 Alloy Flash 1.

Was looking at upgrading a few things while trying to lighten up, and considered the carbon version of the lefty. Is it worth it to go with the carbon fork, or, am I more likely to make better weight reductions elsewhere (i am getting some new wheels already), than in the fork. The carbon is only 200 or so grams lighter (it appears on line)..so not sure if it's worth it.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    New wheels will make a bigger difference that you can feel. I have a carbon Lefty, and an alloy version coming for a new build. The difference in weight can be made up somewhere else for less money.

I do wonder if the carbon version will be stiffer. Anybody that has been on both care to comment on that?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    New wheels will make a bigger difference that you can feel. I have a carbon Lefty, and an alloy version coming for a new build. The difference in weight can be made up somewhere else for less money.

I do wonder if the carbon version will be stiffer. Anybody that has been on both care to comment on that?
    CyclingCentralVa.org

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    David nailed it. Go with wheels if you want a worth while, noticeable upgrade.

As for carbon Leftys, yes lighter, not by a huge chunk, and no they are actually a tad less stiff than the alloy. Nothing most folks notice, but the inner legs on carbon versions tend to get scuffing in the ano from flex, that the alloys don't.
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    If you have to ask whether it is worth it or not then chances are it is not. A carbon lefty really only worth it if you feel it is, as the weight to cost ratio kinda high.....

jms
    mtbr member

Thought so.

Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith View Post
    carbon Leftys are actually a tad less stiff than the alloy. Nothing most folks notice, but the inner legs on carbon versions tend to get scuffing in the ano from flex, that the alloys don't.
    I thought so. I did actually notice it, having one of each now after recently purchasing the aluminum version for my hardtail. My impression was the Aluminum version was a bit more precise. Thanks for confirming that.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Is the Carbon Lefty worth it?-img_0899.jpg  

Last edited by jms; 10-26-2011 at 06:59 AM.
    My Favorite Peeps:

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Word! Thanks for all the tips