Avenger of Evil

To Carbon Lefty or not to Carbon Lefty

I have a chance to get a new Carbon Lefty Max for my Prophet. The " bling" factor of the carbon alone is pushing me to buy it. The big question is, Will the Carbon Lefty be much lighter than my current Lefty Max? According to the Cannondale website, the difference is only 0.35lb (170g). Is this what others are experiencing? Does the Carbon Lefty have the ti spring?
    Please help me justify my purchase.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    New Lefty ???
    HHmmmmm - some LBS insider conections maybe ?

If you do it Troy , I was talking to a guy in Windsor looking for a Lefty .
    If you do go for it , I know of the perfect pair of socks for you ....

http://i19.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/73/b7/67_1.JPG

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    While the bling is certainly there, the wieght drop can be achieved with a Ti spring in your current unit. A solid 1/4 lb drop between ti and steel. The broader question is, can you keep your old fork? If so, what is it, TPC, or SPV? The carbon will be SPV, which, in my oft stated opinion, licks donkey dung. So if you have a TPC unit right now, switch you stuff in, drop the SPV in your old one, and off load it as an "upgraded" fork
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

Avenger of Evil
    Thanks Mendon.
    The Lefty Max that I have right now is a SPV. I know what you mean about the TPC. I have a Jekyll with TPC and was hoping that the SPV had the same small bump absorption.
    I just thought that the difference between the carbon and the aluminum would be more than 197 grams. If I could get the Lefty Carbon Max TPC..I would not have started this thread, and would be ordering it right now...
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Quote Originally Posted by 1440Brad
    I just thought that the difference between the carbon and the aluminum would be more than 197 grams.

Yeah, with the only carbon being the outer tube, it's not possible to lose too much weight. Now if they could just fill them with helium.....

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MendonCycleSmith
    Yeah, with the only carbon being the outer tube, it's not possible to lose too much weight. Now if they could just fill them with helium.....

They really don't carry enough air volume to have the gas type help the fork weight. However, you could use hydrogen and have a dual purpose fork.

Since 4th of July is coming up, you could open then valve and ignite the hydrogen into the air. There is that tiny explosion factor that could occur. So, try this at your own risk.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Quote Originally Posted by ziscwg
    They really don't carry enough air volume to have the gas type help the fork weight. However, you could use hydrogen and have a dual purpose fork.

Since 4th of July is coming up, you could open then valve and ignite the hydrogen into the air. There is that tiny explosion factor that could occur. So, try this at your own risk.

Or use Methane, and have a James Bond-esque ability to make people get off your tail......

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

LA CHÈVRE
    Now, you can't get more helpful tips than that!

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :