Thread: Carbon jeykll ?

mtbr member

Carbon jeykll ?

I just got a carbon jeykll frame, I wanna run a tapered fox fork. I wanna make sure I get the right headset the first time, any ideas where I could find some info, or any experiance here? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member

Re: Carbon jeykll ?

No-one ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mate I have done this and it works a treat. Replaced the standard fork with a fox 36 tapered. You need the following bearing kit.

After that fit fork and enjoy!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Mate I have done this and it works a treat. Replaced the standard fork with a fox 36 tapered. You need the following bearing kit. Cannondale Reducer Headset - SI/Headshok to 1.5"-1 1/8" tapered - KP205 - CannondaleExperts.com

Had to kick post count up to give link

my church is the woods

try here

Headset Fit Finder try this on for size.

I'm not sure about the headset mr_hyde linked, I would contact them before ordering, because I didn't think the SI/headshock headtube was the same as 1.5" standard.

On another note, I just ordered the Jekyll carbon downtube protector from cannondaleexperts.com, I'll review that after I've used it a bit.

mtbr member

I tried the cane creek finder deal, the jeykll isnt listed. I filled out the info and submitted it but they never emailed me ? Ill try cannondale experts and see what they say I guess? I was hoping to find part numbers or sizes, I probably dont need that whole kit.. Thanks for the helpful replies.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rustybkr View Post
    I just got a carbon jeykll frame, I wanna run a tapered fox fork. I wanna make sure I get the right headset the first time, any ideas where I could find some info, or any experiance here? Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I957 using Tapatalk 2
    If you're using a Fox fork you may want to contact Fox Shox and ask about having your tapered upper replaced with a 1.5 straight upper. Unfortunately replacing your uppers isn't cheap and Fox will probably charge you between 200-250 for the new uppers as well as a $125-$175 service charge to "rebuild" your fork.

In my case I actually had Fox build me a new Float 36 RC2 fork from scratch with a 1.5 straight steerer tube ,there was 25 dollars service charge on top of MSRP.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by mefistofeles View Post
    If you're using a Fox fork you may want to contact Fox Shox and ask about having your tapered upper replaced with a 1.5 straight upper. Unfortunately replacing your uppers isn't cheap and Fox will probably charge you between 200-250 for the new uppers as well as a $125-$175 service charge to "rebuild" your fork.

In my case I actually had Fox build me a new Float 36 RC2 fork from scratch with a 1.5 straight steerer tube ,there was 25 dollars service charge on top of MSRP.
    Wow, that seems excessive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    At the end of the day I realized that building a Jekyll (especially from a carbon frame) will never be cheap. If you look at the cost of Ibis Mojo HD or a Santa Cruz Nomad carbon you'll see that these bikes aren't cheap. In my case I wanted something that was comparable or better than either bike for a slightly lower cost.

I got a great deal on a 2012 Jekyll 2 carbon and proceeded to change a few key components:brakes,saddle and fork. Of course at the end of the day is my bike going to be 2.5 times as good as 2011 Jekyll 5,probably not. In fact I bet a good rider could probably smoke me on both climbs and descents with a Jekyll 5. So why bother building a superbike, I suppose at the end of the day it's about confronting the fact that hardware will get you so far. When you run out of hardware to upgrade you run into the fundamental of cycling:it's not about what sort of gear you're riding it's about how well you can ride your bike. Perhaps it's a long,tortured and circuitous path to realize that a great truth. I think Chuck Yeager said it best ."It's the man not the machine."

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    The tapered head tube conversion added $60.00 on top of the 160mm talas CTD 34 Fox.

I did the whole Carbon Jekyll build up from scratch with frame, hollow gram, XO every thing for $2,500 AUD.. I'm loving the USD vs AUD exchange rate ATM.

Looks **** hot rides even better