mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Is the carbon Flash structurally sound for a 300lb Clyde?

Just as the title says. I'm a 300lb built fella that has his eye on a 2011 cdale flash carbon 3.

I have no experience with the carbon frames and am a little worried about the structural integrity of carbon vs aluminum. Rode aluminium frames since I could remember.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    just flicking through the manual, it stays 300lb is the limit. so if you are cock on 300lb i guess you're okay.
    this might help answer some of your concerns...

Carbon Fiber Q & A

LA CHÈVRE
    What I'm wondering is... at that weight, do you really need a bike as light as a Flash Carbon? Not even sure a few pounds in the bike will be 'feelable' when riding...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous View Post
    What I'm wondering is... at that weight, do you really need a bike as light as a Flash Carbon? Not even sure a few pounds in the bike will be 'feelable' when riding...
    +1. At 300lbs, I would not ride a carbon bike and I would probably be a little nervous on aluminum.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Getting on a bike is a great way to lose those extra pounds. Maybe start riding with a tougher frame (steel), and then reward yourself with that carbon Flash when you've lost a good bit of weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Im not a fat turd guys!, im pretty built "big boned" and muscular, fat wise i could loose maybe 20-30lbs

No good in rock gardens..
    Quite apart from the frame, you need to remember that the rest of the components on the bike are aimed at a particular area of usage - that being lighter riders riding smoother terrain. Light wheels, light tyres, light bars, seatpost, etc.

That would not be a bike I'd suggest for a heavier rider.

Quote Originally Posted by Rnd0209 View Post
    Im not a fat turd guys!, im pretty built "big boned" and muscular, fat wise i could loose maybe 20-30lbs
    I for one am not assuming you are - but 300lbs is 300lbs and if you are a strong, hard charging and fit 300lb guy that probably makes a spindly racing hardtail an even poorer choice.

Put it this way - you could buy the lightest HT out there and be forever wondering if / when you are going to have a frame or component failure OR you could spec one that's 3lbs heavier in the right areas and never look back.

Just MHO.
    My Cannondale Lefty keeps failing....

A guy on a bike Moderator
    It doesn't really matter if it's from fat, bone, or muscle--300 pounds is a heap of weight to throw over a lightweight bike. If you are happy being 300 pounds, you need a frame (and components) that can handle it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Sideknob View Post
    Quite apart from the frame, you need to remember that the rest of the components on the bike are aimed at a particular area of usage - that being lighter riders riding smoother terrain. Light wheels, light tyres, light bars, seatpost, etc.

That would not be a bike I'd suggest for a heavier rider.

I for one am not assuming you are - but 300lbs is 300lbs and if you are a strong, hard charging and fit 300lb guy that probably makes a spindly racing hardtail an even poorer choice.

Put it this way - you could buy the lightest HT out there and be forever wondering if / when you are going to have a frame or component failure OR you could spec one that's 3lbs heavier in the right areas and never look back.

Just MHO.
    I totally agree! That is why i am asking this question. I am currently riding a 2010 C'Dale Flash 1 26er with the Carbon Lefty and love it, i was thinking instead of spending the $2k on a brand new bike why not put some money into the wheels and drivetrain of my current ride.

I feel that the 26 wheels are what i should be riding in the first place, stouter and easily replaceable.

I was thinking a set of Stan Flows, upgrade the Rear hub to something stouter. I am currently running DT Swiss 470 wheels, havent popped a spoke yet.

mtbr member
    Sure. You're three inches taller than me and double my weight. You're a whole other human. Even if you're built like Dorian Yates your priority while making a new purchase should always be strength. Actually if you're 300 pounds of muscle you would destroy the Flash even faster than a fat guy would.

Get a bike that's built for you not someone half your weight.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    A Harley.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    A Harley.
    Thanks. Lol. I think I may pull the trigger on a superfly. And if I crack the frame ill get it replaced under warranty

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Just as the title says. I'm a 300lb built fella that has his eye on a 2011 cdale flash carbon 3.

I have no experience with the carbon frames and am a little worried about the structural integrity of carbon vs aluminum. Rode aluminium frames since I could remember.
    Rnd, I am in your weight class also. 6'4" and 295lbs. I've asked the same question at several bike shops and they've all told me no problem. Not just C-dale, Specialized and Trek also. A couple of shops suggested upgrading the wheelset. Most shops told me there is no weight limit. You might want to take a look at the Santa Cruz Highball. According to Santa Cruz they have no weight limit due to new carbon manufacturing process.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    I'd probably worry more about components like stem, bars, saddle, fork and wheels. One of those may fail before the frame would unless you make the right choice. I'm 177lb and there is some components I would not use.

mtbr member

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead!

Thanks. Lol. I think I may pull the trigger on a superfly. And if I crack the frame ill get it replaced under warranty
    The problem here would be the availability of a new face or set of testicles in the crash associated with the failure.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Wow rough crowd. Cannondale should have no weight limit on the frames. The advantage with Cannondale is that the ballistic tech carbon will stretch farther and have a higher fatigue point compared to standard carbon fiber. Wheels would be the weak spot. I would run the stock wheels until they wear out or bend. Than I would build something stupid strong. Don't worry about weight.

Helmetless Crasher
    A lot of it depends on how and where you ride. If its relatively smooth XC riding, you should be fine. If you are getting a lot of air/impact, then you need to go with a stout FS bike with a stout custom wheel set.
    '95 M2 StumpJumper FS
    '11 Cannondale RZ 120-two

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    I just checked one of my Cannondale factory issued manuals. It states that the Scalpel, Taurine, Carbon Rush (along with other models) are rated for a 300lb rider and 5 lbs of gear when used for the intended use of Cross Country (from a 2009 manual).

Additionally the All Mountain models (Rize, Prophet, Jekyll, Moto) have the same rating for their intended use.

I have to think that Cannondale did some testing and they (and the legal department) think that is a safe number.

In fact I would expect that even at 300lbs the frames are probably not at max stress. As a general rule most engineers provide for excess capacity when providing specification for failure rates.

I know neither is a Carbon Flash but I bet the Flash manual has a listed upper limit on rider weight.
    Forks are for eating, Lefty's are for racing,