mtbr member
    Dec 2005

carbon flash 29r flex

bought a new carbon flash 29r 2 about a month ago and have an issue with chain popping off under heavy load. it happens when running middle ring in front and mid cogs in the back. during hard cranking chain pops off back cogs. thought it was the front jumping but rider that was behind me the other day said it came off rear. when it first happened a week or so after buying it lbs did some crankset alignment? and pulled a link and found a loose cassette. it went away for a week maybe and is now back again. switched to a sram 990 cassette as tech thought it may be the cheaper 970 flexing. have not had a chance to test latest fix but curious if others are having the same problem. i am around 180 ibs so not thinking weight is an issue.
    anyone have the same problem?

mtbr member
    Check the derailleur hanger with a real alignment tool (visual alignment doesn't work). It is soft and can be bent easily with a moderate slide out crash. I'm sure that Cannondale is just trying to protect the expesive carbon frame. I have had problems with chain skip under load twice. It was fixed perfectly with the hanger alignment both times. Hammer as hard as you like, it's not a frame flex issue.

I recommend carrying a spare hanger or two in your bike bag or tool kit. I have broken two hangers since February. If you bend one severely, it may crack when you pull it back straight.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    thanks for the tip. 2 hangers in 6 months wow, guess they are not as tough as the paragons on my other ride. did you find an aftermarket supplier or have to go oem on the hanger? btw we are neighbors of sorts, south dallas rider here.
    later 1

mtbr member
    I think the oem hanger is the only one available. It's a pretty unique U-shaped frame attachment with two small allen bolts.
    I ride in S. Dallas area pretty frequently. I love Big Cedar, OCNP, and Boulder. Cedar Hill SP not so much. I live up in Plano, but the S. Dallas trails are the best. Did you race out at OCNP? I am an old guy. I race Cat 1 - 50+. I am going to be out of town for the Sansom race, but I plan on trying Big Cedar. That should be tough!
    I know it might be a long way for you, but Plano Cycling and Fitness can fix your problem. Tell them that Tom with the Flash Carbon 29er sent you.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    missed oc race due to complications from the northshore 100 thingy. i was going to run cat 1 50+ for the 1st time at oc. i'm thinking i know who you are. carpet viper?

mtbr member
    No, that's Chris. He's a fast rider, but he wasn't feeling well at the OC race. He just came back from CO and had a bee sting on his hand the day before. I got lucky and won. Most of the fastest guys weren't there. The whole tough crowd will probably be there at Big Cedar and I'll get my butt whipped. I'm leaving for a week long vacation on Saturday (no biking). I hope I can get into shape before BC. Those climbs are brutal!
    You're not DL, are you? If so, you are going to personally kick my butt at BC.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    nope i am 1+1=1. have not done a xc race in years and it will be my first on gears so no threat from me. sounds like they need help at sansom so i may wait till bc to start my xc racing again, will wait and see. good job at oc it was a tough day for old guys like us.