mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Can't find brake pads for new f5

Hey guys, new member here. I made a rookie mistake and got lube on my brake pads. I'm having the darndest time finding replacement pads online. I have a Promax DSK-320 brake system. I've found other promax pads, like dsk-400 and such. They look like they'd fit, but it's hard to tell from a picture. Anyone have an idea? Thanks.

mtbr member

Did you try sanding the pads?

I don't know how much lube you got on there, but you can resurface the pads with 150-200 grit sandpaper and then clean your rotors with 99% isopropyl. This should be ok.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Yeah, I actually already tried boiling them and sanding them and then cleaning them with alcohol. I think maybe I didn't sand enough... I'm going to try again when I get home.

mtbr member
    Good luck

I'm not sure about the replacement pads though, sorry I couldn't be of more help

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Thanks. Yeah, the pad have been surprisingly hard to find. I've found DSK-400 on UK websites, but not american. It's kinda ironic, considering my bike says "handmade in america" in big letters across the side, hehe.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    If all else fails try the blow torch technique. Take the pads out of the caliper. Remove the spring and place the pad face up on an anvil (concrete floor works too) and blast it with a blow torch. it should glow red, but be careful not to overcook them as the pad could de-laminate. This should burn off any of the remaining oil. after they cool completely spray them with break clean and you should be all set. Put the spring back on them and then insert them back into the caliper. Breaks should work pretty good then.

-R

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Hmmmm, interesting. I might give it a try, thanks.

LA CHÈVRE
    But eventually, pads will be needed. I think they all use the same and that they are Hayes compatible pads... not 100% sure. You could call or write to them to make sure:

PROMAX USA
    18720 S.Normadie Ave.Gardena CA 90248 USA

TEL : 310-324 0065
    FAX : 310-323 0087
    E-mail : promax@promax-usa.com
    http://www.promax-usa.com

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Much appreciated.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Toaster oven

Some oil spilled on to my pads. I baked them in the toaster oven at 450 degrees for 10 minutes.

Just came back from Crankworx with these toasted pads and they worked great. This included runs from the Garbanzo which is the longest downhill I ever rode.

LA CHÈVRE
    No microwave though.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Put my pads in the broiler for about 15 minutes (not sure if this part helped much), took em out and did a figure-eight with them on the sandpaper, cleaned em with alcohol. Took the rotors off, cleaned em with dish soap, then with alcohol. Put it all back together and I'm good to go! Finally! Nothing more frustrating than having something brand new not work properly. Thanks for all the suggestions. I think the sandpaper was key. I had already tried that before but it was with pretty fine paper. I used real rough stuff this time and roughed em up good.