Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2004

Cannondale's "Great" Customer Service

For those you who venture onto other boards you may have already seen this. For those that haven't I'd be interested to hear your comments.

Here's my original posting:

What a bummer! I was getting all pumped up to get this thing built up the way I wanted it and I come across what seems to be the very thing that gave the company its now infamous nickname.

Closeup of previous

Closeup of previous

What do you think? The welds on the outside look absolutely perfect but paint can cover up flaws so that's not the best indicator. Am I making a mountain out of a mole hill or should I really be concerned?

I've already emailed Cannondale so I'll see what they have to say I guess.

Brand spankin' new, too :angry:

So, of course I contacted my dealer and emailed Cannondale about the situation. Everyone was ranting and raving about how Cannondale was going to take care of me and how great Cannondale would handle the situation.

Well here's the latest update:

So, it's been a little over a MONTH since I sent my frame in. Status: STILL no frame and STILL no word yet on when they'll replace it. They tried to "hook me up" with a new black front triangle. Hmm...black front triangle and yellow/orange swingarm. Can you say....ghetto?! I could understand if this was a frame I had beat up on for awhile but for crying out loud I didn't even get to ride the thing! It's a brand new frame why can't they send me a BRAND NEW replacement? Oh, that's right, they don't have ANY in stock, I'm told.

At first I tried being nice and patient about this but I think I've been patient enough. I've constantly been told how "great" Cannondale's customer service is, but if it's been a MONTH and still no frame yet, I'd hate to see what there customer service would be like if it was "bad".

Take this Cannondale...:nuts:

Rant over...

Lucifer rides an mtb

How'd you find this out?

Looks like a potential problem and something they ought to step up to. BTW: I was just wondering... why did you disassemble a brand new bike to inspect the inside of the head tube?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Big K
    Looks like a potential problem and something they ought to step up to. BTW: I was just wondering... why did you disassemble a brand new bike to inspect the inside of the head tube?
    I really only wanted the frame but I bought the complete bike because the owner would give me a better deal rather than him just selling me the frame. My plan was to simply take the parts I didn't want, sell them, and replace it with parts I wanted.

If it hadn't been for that I probably wouldn't have noticed. I probably would have ridden it for quite sometime w/out any problems, but I hate to think of any issues that might have developed 2-3 years down the road considering this bike was "designed" for more aggressive riding.

I even considered not saying anything 'cause I really like the frame, but when I thought about it I figured I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's just a shame that it's turned into such a hassle.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Hope Comiserations

Did you buy it off a dealer, they say sometimes that your money back option new bike would be from the dealer. I'm awaiting a new front triangle and shock for my gemini 04 2000, will be getting the new darker coloured 05 model, hopefully here in four weeks, I'm paying for a new rear to match the new front. How good is your dealer?

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    If you bought it from "some guy" and not directly from a dealer, your warranty may be toast. I'm not sure the warranty is transferrable. That could be the problem.

Lucifer rides an mtb

source may cause you some trouble

I'm with GrantB... they may only offer full coverage to people who buy new from an authorized dealer... if you bought it off a third party and they do cover it, I think you'll have to give C'dale some extra credit. I'm not aware of other bike brands that offer transferrable warranties. Good luck!

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by GrantB
    If you bought it from "some guy" and not directly from a dealer, your warranty may be toast. I'm not sure the warranty is transferrable. That could be the problem.
    It was bought at an authorized dealer.

Problem with a refund is that since I was told that it would be a quick process, I went ahead and sold the parts I didn't want and figured that I could prepare to buy the new parts I wanted so that when the replacement came I'd be ready to go. Obviously that hasn't happened yet.

Really at this point the best I can do is wait it out, try and nudge C-dale and my dealer a bit, but other than that I'm pretty powerless.

Poser
    From what I can tell on these boards and other sources, Cannondale generally does the right thing, but the speed with which they communicate and act is atrocious.

In the end, it seems to the net effect is too little, too late for anybody to be happy.

Lucifer rides an mtb

Factory rep may be the key

I get the feeling from my LBS that the factory rep plays a role in these decisions. This was specifically mentioned in the case of replacing my BB and spokes (2 seperate incidents). You might ask what's up with the factory rep and maybe even ask if you can talk with that person. Sometimes, it helps that they associate a person with the problem.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Earlier this year I had to have the swingarm on my Jekyll replaced under warranty. It took them 6 weeks to the day that I brought the bike in. My shop was good enough to install it the day it arrived too. I couldn't get an answer from anyone on the progress of my part until it arrived. They did a good job on the part, but I can understand your frustration. This has been the only negative thing on the C/S part of Cannondale that I can complain about though. Everything else has been great.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

Good job! 6 Weeks

Thats the time scale I'm looking at as well to get it to Holland then to the UK.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by bob24250
    Earlier this year I had to have the swingarm on my Jekyll replaced under warranty. It took them 6 weeks to the day that I brought the bike in. My shop was good enough to install it the day it arrived too. I couldn't get an answer from anyone on the progress of my part until it arrived. They did a good job on the part, but I can understand your frustration. This has been the only negative thing on the C/S part of Cannondale that I can complain about though. Everything else has been great.
    That's what I’m almost afraid of. They’ll simply send whatever frame they have and not give me ANY options for what I’ll get. I asked the owner numerous times to ask them what they’re willing to make available to me. But he says the Cannondale rep never gets back to him.

The reason I want to know is so I can weigh my options and make a decision from there. For instance, are there ANY new old stock frames available. I’d love to get one in the original color of Tangello but that was an ’02 and highly unlikely that there’d be any. But I don’t know that. Then there’s the ’04 models. The only comparable model to what I had was a 900 and those were only available in all Black or Siemens Replica. Well, the all black has those stupid “Gemini Girl” decals which I found out are permanent. So since that was the case I’d rather have the Siemens. But again, I don’t know what is available so I really can’t make a decision. Plus, all the ’04 900 came with a Vanilla R shock. Yes, it has ProPedal, but I’d much rather have back the Vanilla RC that came with my new ’02 1000 and have the possibility of getting the shock Pushed. Again, no info on what they’re going to do.

Then let’s say they have no ’04 frames left and they’ll give me an ’05. Well, that’s cool and all, but none of the ’05 Geminis have a standard QR rear axle. Big deal, you say, I’m getting upgraded, right? Yes, but until I know what I’m getting I can’t order any wheels. So even if I get my frame tomorrow it will still be a week or so before I can get the wheels, build up the bike, and ride.

Man, reading all that really makes me look like a whiner. Still, it’s just frustrating not knowing what’s going on and what my options are, if any. Plus, even if I get hooked up with a sweet new ’05 frame, do I really want to keep it knowing what a hassle it will be if there are any issues down the road? Tough call. My other choices before deciding on a Gemini were a Yeti AS-X, Bullit, Saber, or a used RFX. Only problem with that is going through the hassle of selling a Gemini frame…they don’t seem to sell for very much at all, even new.

Who knows. I guess I’ll just have to wait and see…

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

I understand

I know what your going through, my 04 2000 geminithey didnt have the same colour front triangle in small so I'm getting the 05 front triang and the correct shock that will fit the small frame, it's up to me to buy the rear to match. costing me quite a bit in uk pounds, am selling my old rear as its coming back to me, If I were you get the new 05 esp with the 12mm rear as its far superior, see what they say about the wheels. with me its appx 4 weeks to go and I'm counting the minutes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I was given the option of color for my swingarm. Something I should have mentioned earlier, they custom built a 3rd generation short travel swingarm for me. When mine arrived it had minimal stickers on it too. My shop advised me they do that on purpose to flag the part as a warranty replacement if it ever comes back.

If they give you a new frame you should get your choice of any of the colors they offer. I seriously doubt you will be able to get the original color though. Be very careful on the rebuild of your frame. I had to have the shop completely fix my bike or it was no longer covered under warranty. That is on your dime too.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Colour

Yeah the original raw silver colour for my 04 in silver wasnt available, they nearly gave me a 900 frame but realised mine was the 2000, therefore I hae had to wait until this years are there, and a new 3-way shock by progressive. I still cant see why I have to pay for a rear to match as it would have looked odd with a different two toe of silver and the new darker colour.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    other manufacturers are just as slow and you can't always get the right color. it's not just cannondale. I've had good quick service and slow service. the slow service I accepted because my bike shop and Cdale rep hooked me up.

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... colour

Never expected to get the same colour esp at this time of year. Could have had any other bike but even them would have taken a long time due to coming into country, and none of them could compare to the gemini, thats why I'm spending near on $500 getting the rear to match.

mtbr member
    silly monkey, this thread isn't locked.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Well, it was this whole afternoon.

I might as well quit while I'm ahead, right?

No more comments from me...Cannondale rocks!

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Thread locked?

Why would this thread be locked?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    Why would this thread be locked?
    Well, since you asked...

It was locked for me earlier today. I was locked out from any replying or even posting on mtbr. Don't know why, but my guess it had to do something with this:

Update:

The madness continues. If you're really bored, or you hate Cannondale, you won't mind reading through the following correspondence between me and Cannondale.

After still not hearing from Cannondale or my dealer the rest of last week, I sent this email this morning:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 4:20 AM
    To: Michael Rosson; Tim Corbett
    Cc: custserv@cannondale.com
    Subject: 5 weeks...Still waiting...Cracked '02 Gemini
    Importance: High

Dear Mike and Cannondale,

Today it has been 5 weeks since I sent in my BRAND NEW Gemini frame that appeared to have a crack. 5 weeks and STILL no word on what is being done about it. I've asked Mike several times to call the Cannondale rep and ask what is being done/what can be done/ how long will it take to get done. Mike has been very good about getting back to me, however, his answer is always the same: The rep hasn't gotten back to him yet...

There seems to be a huge lack of communication in this situation and it's getting more frustrating each passing day. So far the best I've been able to find out is that you're out of stock of small Geminis. OK, sooo, WHEN will you have something ready, WHAT are my choices as far as color and configuration, etc.? These questions still have yet to be answered.

I can totally understand that there are a number of reasons why you might not have any replacements in stock, or why it's taking so long. But it begs the question, WHY would ANYBODY want to go through any of this hassle ever again? Forget the great warranty, I'd rather not ever have to use the warranty, especially given this latest fiasco. No offense Cannondale, but none of us would be in this situation if you had simply done a THOROUGH inspection of the frame before it ever left the factory. OK, so we all make mistakes, but geez 5 weeks and still nothing to show for it? I just can't comprehend how anybody would come out of this with a positive opinion of Cannondale. I could understand if I had ridden the bike and beaten it up causing a failure, but geez I didn't even get to ride the dang thing! The lack of communication is what's really making it frustrating.

I really don't think I'm asking too much. I at least know that I'm not the only one that feels this way either:

Cannondale's "Great" Customer Service
    http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/sho...3&page=1&pp=15

Could somebody PLEASE get in touch with Mike and let me know what is being done and when it will be done? I'd really appreciate more information on what's going on so I can get back to what's really important...riding.

Sincerely,
    Bruce Buck
    El Paso, TX
    60Hz Productions
    www.60hzproductions.com

OK, so I seemed a tad pissed. Well sure enough I start getting some responses right away:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 6:15 AM
    To: 'azonicbruce@byu.net'
    Subject: RE: 5 weeks...Still waiting...Cracked '02 Gemini

Bruce,

We are sorry but we do not know every dealer by name. What is the name of the dealer? Do you have a phone number for the dealer?

I politely reply:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 10:20 AM
    To: 'Tim Corbett'

Sorry. Here is the info:
    Michael Rosson - Owner
    The Bicycle Company
    El Paso, TX
    915-544-2453
    Email: bikeco1@aol.com

The response:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 11:14 AM

Bruce,

After checking with the dealer and the rep we find the reason for the 5 week delay is they shipped you a new Gemini frame and you sent it back because of the girls decal.

The new frame with NO GIRLS DECAL will arrive as soon as it is built.

Hmmm, this isn't entirely accurate/true. So I guess I need to clarify and set the record straight. So I send back this email.

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 12:09 PM
    To: 'Tim Corbett'
    Cc: 'BIKECO1@aol.com'

Thank you for getting back to me.

Again there appears to be some confusion. This is what I was told in emails:

Regarding the frame
    Sent: Monday, September 13, 2004 4:03 PM
    To: azonicbruce@byu.net
    Subject: Re: FW: Gemini Frame
    Hey Bruce
    I talked to my inside rep at Cannondale and he could not give me an answer on the frame, but he is sending a black main frame like what comes on the Gemini 900. I hope this is OK, it is the frame or main frame they have in stock. Your swingarm and shock should bolt right up. Let me know if this is not acceptable and we can go from there. I apologize for the inconvenience this has created.
    Mike

Here Mike is telling me that you're ONLY going to send the Front Triangle, not a complete frame, to which I responded that a Tangello swingarm and a Black front triangle would be completely ghetto. I asked him if you could send just a whole new frame, and told him about my concern for the decals. His response:

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 1:48 PM
    To: azonicbruce@byu.net
    Subject: Re: FW: Gemini Frame
    Hi Bruce
    I was told that this frame did not have the Gemini girl on it. Cannondale isn't hesitating to replace the whole frame, they just don't have any complete frames in stock right now. If you don't mind waiting I should be able to get you any color frame they offer, I just don't know how long that will take and was hoping to get you on your bike asap. Would the Siemens replica be your first pick? Cannondale does realize the fact that this is a brand new bike and they want you to be happy with it's replacement.
    I have called Cannondale and I'm waiting on a return call to ask when and what else can be done. I'll let you know what's up as soon as I hear.
    Mike

To which I responded:

Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 2:50 PM
    To: 'BIKECO1@aol.com'
    Subject: RE: FW: Gemini Frame
    Oh, ok. I was told by Tim Corbett of Cannondale customer service that all of the matching color '04 frames only had those decals, so that's why I assumed that. Perhaps the rep is talking about one of the newer '05 frames.

Why don't we do this: Find out exactly what frame styles/color/model year they are willing to make available to me, and how long they estimate it will take to get. I'll try and make a decision from there.

Of course I'd love to be back on a bike as soon as possible BUT if it means that I'll be able to get what I would really like and want, then I think I'll be willing to wait. I'm trying to hold out for the new Fox 36 or the '05 Marzocchi Z1 150mm and neither are available at this very moment, so it's not like I'm totally going to be stressed out. Although my love handles aren't exactly getting any smaller either...

Thanks for your help.

Bruce

At that point is when I hadn't heard any news since. So again, I'm still in the dark as to what my options are, if any.

Thanks,
    Bruce Buck

OK, so I'm thinking NOW everybody should be on the same page and we can all get going on this issue. Well HERE'S the KICKER! This is the response I get from Cannondale:

Sent: Monday, September 27, 2004 12:47 PM

Bruce,

Cannondale does not replace swing arms when the front triangle is all that needs to be replaced. You never asked if every frame came with girl decals you just asked if they could be removed, without explaining the situation to me.

This will have to be worked out through your dealer and the rep.

Soooo, basically they telling me that they want my new shiny ride to look like this:

Maybe some of you think it looks pimp, but I think it looks ghetto. If I bought a brand new car that was Red and the door panel was defective, do you think ANY car manufacturer would get away with sending me a Black door as a replacement?

I think this is going to be the staw that breaks the camel's back. Whatever they end up sending me, I AM selling it and getting something else. Why in the world anybody would want to have to go through this again is beyond me...

Well, I've calmed down quite a bit since earlier today. Still confused but oh well. Life can't always go the way you want all the time

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

... and if we just ... Oh I see.

By the way what height are you? Mine is a small gemini as well?

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by catnash
    By the way what height are you? Mine is a small gemini as well?
    I'm 5'6" 30" inseam.

That's one of the reasons I liked the Gemini so much. The small has TONS of standover clearance, 28.5" compared to a Small Yeti ASX with 30" standover. Same with similar competition. It just felt like it "fit" better.

The top tube was also similar to my old Chameleon which I loved as well. Another thing going for the Gemini is the adjustable travel. If I ever move somewhere where it's more X-country then I can rock it at 5".

Too bad I'm not so sure anymore whether I'll keep it or not

Bike Breaker.
    Jan 2004

I see.

I hope you will keep it once it comes, once that first ride is under your belt. I have put a 50mm diabolous stem on it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2004
    Yeah I was thinkin either that or getting the new Thomson X4 stems

We'll see

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast