mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 25.4 mm question

I have a 06' Scalpel with a Cannondale XC3 HeadShok, 25.4 mm stem. I am wondering what is 25.4 mm a measurement of? I am thinking about switching to a lighter stem, and want to figure out what size/measurement should I be looking for.

I am also wondering if I am restricted to using Cannondale Stems only, or will other companies stems fit?

Thanks

LA CHÈVRE
    25.4 is the diameter of the handlebar at the center. There are 25.4 or 31.8 bars. Stem choices are limited, you need a Headshok/Lefty specific stem since the steerers are slightly bigger than 1.5" steerers and much bigger than the conventional 1.125" steerers. To my knowledge, brands that make Headshok/Lefty stems are Cannondale, Hope, Kore, Woodman and Syntace and their VRO stem-bar combos... Roel Paulissen has been spotted with a carbon FRM stem on his Lefty recently so maybe they have some stems too, or will release some eventually.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    And why he isn't using the integrated stem/steerer tube?

LA CHÈVRE
    Who knows but if I had to guess, it must be lighter. The FRM stem has a nice reputation, apparently one the lightest carbon stem around.

LA CHÈVRE
    Yep, add FRM to the list. 130 grams with Ti bolts, I don't know how light that is compared with other options...
    Worth noting is that they also make Lefty hubs and wheelsets, including a tubular wheelset...