mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Cannondale Wind Titanium Rear/FreeHub - Serviceable?

I have a Cannondale Wind Titanium freehub that is developing play/wobble. The axle is also starting to sound bad. Is this hub serviceable, or worth servicing? There are no allen/hex key sockets; it looks like the small round nuts at each side must be loosened with a very narrow wrench to remove the axle. After that, how is the freehub removed, and what is the recommended service method? What type of bearings are in it?

The hub is laced to Mavic 819 rims, which are awesome. The mechanic at my LBS recommended riding it until it is toast and replacing it with something better.

Thoughts?

LA CHÈVRE
    What year bike was it on? Depending on the year, they were either made by DT Swiss (a good thing) or later by Formula (crap). If it's a Formula-made, I tend to agree with your LBS.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    It's on a 2005 Prophet. I'm not familiar with either of those hubs, so I can't say who made it. I'm familiar with Shimano and Mavic freehubs.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    So, I looked through some pictures of DT Swiss internals, and it sure looks like that's what I've got. However, I can't seem to find what model of hub I have. I also can't find how to remove the axle. Is there a special wrench that fits into the extremely narrow nut on the drive side?

LA CHÈVRE
    I think the 2005 were Formula made...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I had the same year Prophet and wheel set...the Wind is junk and mine toasted after just one year. Replaced with a Hope bulb hub relaced into the same spokes/819, and the pair is still going strong (now on another bike). Replace the Wind now before it strands you in the middle of nowhere like mine did (and if you can afford it) IMHO.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Thanks. That's my plan right now. Considering what junk everyone thinks these hubs are, I guess I should be stoked I got 5+ years out of it!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Climber Rob View Post
    Thanks. That's my plan right now. Considering what junk everyone thinks these hubs are, I guess I should be stoked I got 5+ years out of it!
    Mine still running well since 2005. Changed both bearings twice in 6yrs ($20 for 2 bearings) and make sure to check they never get play. Awesome wheels, and now they're my backup wheels... Seems like they will last forever. By the way, this hub is completely serviceable. I asked a few yrs ago for maintenance trick on this very same forum so with the search option you should be able to find everything you need to know how to rebuilt it for less than $30....

Bonne chance
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by surf418 View Post
    Mine still running well since 2005. Changed both bearings twice in 6yrs ($20 for 2 bearings) and make sure to check they never get play. Awesome wheels, and now they're my backup wheels... Seems like they will last forever. By the way, this hub is completely serviceable. I asked a few yrs ago for maintenance trick on this very same forum so with the search option you should be able to find everything you need to know how to rebuilt it for less than $30....

Bonne chance
    Do you mean your Wind Titanium hub? I have searched on Google and MTBR and have not found much info on it. Can you point me to the old thread you're referring to?

mtbr member
    Does it look like this (page2) :

http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/20...echnote_en.pdf

Mine was an '05 also, replaced with King.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by milt k View Post

You got it. A set of bearing cost me $20. Drop by a bearing shop and showed the original's one and they gave me better quality for that price
    08 Rush 4 - 650B
    10 Synapse 5 Carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by milt k View Post

Yeah. That's it. The freehub is actually OK, but bearings need to be replaced, and the axle is almost destroyed. I would love to rebuild it, so I might see if I can get the parts.

As much as I'd love a King, that's a lot of coin for just a hub, and then I have to rebuild the wheel...