Sweater

Cannondale warranty is pretty good

This is good for me because I've broken 3 of their frames now. In each case though I've ended up with an upgraded frame, at least in terms of value. I started out with a Rush 5z back in 2008. I broke a chainstay on that at the end of 2009. For that I got a 2010 RZ120 frame, I thought it rode quite a bit better. Handling was close but pedaling was quite a bit better than the Rush. So that RZ lasted a while, about two years. Then one day while giving it a once over before a ride I noticed some cracks on the rear triangle bridge. Turned it in for warranty and the replaced the entire frame for a 2012, including the new Fox rp23 with the boost valve. Another ride improvement in my mind. This frame didn't last so long, only about 8 months. Cracked just about all the way through on the seat tube near the main pivot. It had been making some noise that I was having trouble tracking down, but all my Cannondales have done that so I guess I was used to it. Well it finally began flexing so bad that the chainrings were rubbing on the stays. Turned it in for warranty and asked for another RZ frame. I guess they're all out of RZ frames and not making anymore. So they gave me this:

A complete 2012 Jekyll 4
    It pedals and rides great. It's quite heavy compared to what I'm used to but it's got an extra 1.5" travel too
    Here's the carnage of the donor bike:

All out of S**** and down to my last F***
    I think I strained a pucker muscle

mtbr member
    Wow lucky you mate.

mtbr member
    Damn,it's almost 2014 models time, I feel like i want to go out and beat the crap out of my F29 and see what happens
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by Devastazione View Post
    Damn,it's almost 2014 models time, I feel like i want to go out and beat the crap out of my F29 and see what happens
    Definitely. I'm not saying abuse the bike, but go out and give her hell. Wring every ounce of fun out of it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzzaro View Post
    Definitely. I'm not saying abuse the bike, but go out and give her hell. Wring every ounce of fun out of it.
    Ah,who am I kidding ? I treat my F29 like a princess. I'm not even riding it these days as we've had so much rain,trails are a mess. My Stumpy gets the occasional mud treat but it's all road bike now, I've never tested my F29 on ultra dry-fast conditions,I can't wait
    '13 Stumpy fsr Elite 29 pimped
    '15 Tarmac Sworks

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    They replaced my Rize Carbon with a Jekyll carbon. I have cracked the swingarm on that and am waiting to hear what they are going to do...

Sweater

Wow, cracked the Jekyll as well? Any idea how or JRA?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I gave my Rize a BEATING. Jekyll didn't see anything heavy at all, was REALLY let down when I saw the crack. Like I said, it is in the swingarm near the pivot.

Sweater

Where do you ride and what do you weigh? I'm only asking this to see how we compare and prepare myself mentally

Icebiker
    ^^ Buzz...I was wondering the same thing about you....I'm an XL, weigh 205. Just went back to C'dale after three bikes from the '90s (all of which were solid, made-in-USA, never gave me any trouble), but now rocking a new Trigger 29'er...LOVE this thing, but given your history with the newer (C'dales) has me a tad concerned, as I ride pretty technical stuff.

How do you compare weight/riding-wise?

Sweater

Weight we're similar I'm closer to 220-230 most of the time. I also ride aggressively through technical terrain. Northern California: Tahoe, Downiville, Auburn and the Sacramento area trails mostly. So far my experience has been good with the warranty though. I just ride what, where, and how I enjoy riding provided the wife says its ok. When something goes wrong with the bike, I take it to the shop. In 2-4 weeks I've got a bike again. So I don't think you should be too concerned, especially if you've got a backup bike.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I weigh around 200 and live and ride in NY (Long Island and Catskills). Heard from the shop yesterday, they are sending a swingarm/seatstay. I believe I cracked my Rize on a trip out west (Utah/Arizona/Colorado) and at the time, I had to wait for the new Jekyll frame for a while but it was new and there were all kinds of supply issues at the time (Cdale did offer me a frame to "borrow" while I was waiting for my replacement). So, I can't really complain about their customer service.

Sweater

Yeah, all three times my LBS has offered me a demo bike to ride at no charge as well. So between my shop and CDale, I really haven't been out much riding time.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Cannondale was great in my case! My 2 year old 2011 Trail SL4 29er developed a crack in the weld between the top tube and the seat tube. I took it back to the LBS where I bought it, (University Bike Shop in Tampa.). Cannondale didn't have a frame to send me so they replaced it with a whole new bike! They didn't have any more Trail SL4's so they replaced it with an upgraded 2013 SL2 29er! The whole process was painless and swift, all orchestrated by my most excellent bike shop staff! Now, if it will only stop raining, I'll get a chance to get back out there. Thanks Cannondale!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Anyone can advise whether frame crack due to fall can be covered by the warranty ?

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by aw94309 View Post
    Anyone can advise whether frame crack due to fall can be covered by the warranty ?
    Why say anything about a fall? The frame cracked. That's all there is to it. Did you fall while riding off the top of the Empire State Building, or while going down a mountain bike trail? Shouldn't a mountain bike frame be able to sustain a fall? Now a car crash, or jumping 6 busses Evil Kenievel style may be another story.

Sweater

Quote Originally Posted by aw94309 View Post
    I was just riding along.....

Don't finish that sentence

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The scratches on the crack spot would give it away.
    The crack is on the swing arm of my Scalpel 29er, that area is pretty skinny so i guess that's why it couldn't withstand hit to a rock.