mtbr member
    May 2013

Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience

I decided to showcase my recent negative experience with Cannondale's "lifetime warranty". As my case of warranty claim got rejected, although in my and also LBS's opinion, this should be by the book frame replacement, I will go through the whole process step by step, supported by images and actual discussion between our country importer and European Cannondale distributor/warranty service.

First of, sorry for my English, it's not my 1st language.

Before we start the story, here are some information about the bike:
    - Cannondale Claymore 2 (2013)
    - purchased 31. May 2013
    - 1st owner, with the original bill etc.
    - the bike parts that were changed since new: brakes, shifter levers, bar, stem, grips, crank arms, saddle+ seatpost, 20T chainring front

Bike fresh from the store
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034214.jpg

The bike was since then used for AM riding and 3 bike park visits (light use) - I had DH bike (Spec Demo) for abuse...

On 13th of February 2015, while doing service (of course, till then, I already spent ~400usd for parts and service, including the Fox Dyad shock), I noticed a crack at the conjunction of toptube and headtube at the weld.
    There has been similar cases of the crack, seen on the internet, which have been replaced under warranty.
    For example:
    - Foto: SAM 0483 - MTB-News.de]Foto: SAM 0483 - MTB-News.de
    - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canno...469131/page-63
    - http://www.mtb-news.de/forum/t/canno...469131/page-66

Photo of the bike and the crack
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034246.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034249.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034248.jpg

Of course I immediately went to the store, where I bought the bike and the seller took the bike over and sent a warranty claim request to the importer, which then forwarded it to EU distributor.

Reply from the Cannondale warranty service EU (Cycling Sports Group Europe B.V.)
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034258.jpg

The rest of the conversation between Slovenia's importer and Cannondale EU is as follows:

Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034272.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034273.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034330.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034275.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034276.jpg
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034277.jpg

This was the last email between importer and EU distributor since then (as I know) and on my request they send me the above shown conversation.
    On 12th of March (10 days ago) I sent my reply directly to Cycling Sports Group Europe B.V. and EMEA-warranty, as shown below. I didn't get any reply yet, and will now try to reply via importer.

My reply to Cycling Sports Group Europe B.V. and EMEA-warranty
    Cannondale ''warranty'' - negative experience-p4pb12034311.jpg

As you can see, I'll do my best effort to make this warranty issue, which should be solved without a question, go through!
    I also hope this example will help and aware other people about the problem. If anybody has had similar case, especially with the Claymore (solved or rejected), please post it in this thread or post a link.

Thanks for reading.
    Daniel

mtbr member
    May 2013

mtbr member
    I am no expert regarding frame damage, but it certainly looks like there is more evidence of poor manufacturing given that other bikes are experiencing nearly identical failure.

Sorry to see this and I hope that the Cannondale rep reconsiders. It appears that his actions are stubborn and may hurt the image of the Cannondale brand
    There is a season, turn, turn, turn
    And a time for every wheel to turn through it

mtbr member
    Wow, I hope you can sort things out, I only know that a buddy of mine had some very minor issue compared to yours with his Trigger frame and his shop got him the next years model frame in no time.
    That was here is the US which might make a difference and/or his shop knows someone at Cannondale.
    Anyway, good luck.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I was at my LBS this week and he showed me an F29 carbon frame that was replaced without a hassle in no time. He (and anyone who knows this case for that matter) doesn't understand why they don't replace mine.

One theory is because Claymores are out of production as of 2013 (I wonder why?), but I would be happy with Jekyll as well, if they would offer it...
    On the other hand, they are offering "crash replacement" - but I won't accept it even if they give it for 100eur.

I was happy with my LBS and importers service and availability of parts... too bad they only offer Cdale's and Trek's as we most likely won't be doing anymore business unless I choose Trek in the future.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    Sounds like the problem is with your importer. I suggest to contact Cannondale USA directly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    You go to the tail and you get shit on. You want results forward every thing to cannondale USA.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Both times I've had warranty claims with Cannondale have been positive experiences. No hassle at all. I'm sure this is a result of the professional relationship between shop and manufacturer. I'm with the others here, contact Cannondale directly if your local shop isn't meeting your needs.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Yea, it sounds like your importer is totally useless. The Michael Jackson comment is totally unprofessional and just weird. Stop dealing with that person and go to the top!

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I discovered the same crack on my 2012 Claymore this morning, looks just like the one on the pic you attached of the 2012 black and silver Claymore...I did not crash it to cause the crack and I just dropped it off at my LBS for warranty claim.

I will post up to let you know how my experience goes.

mtbr member
    I didnt even read any replies, just your OP. Utter ******** and their service sucks too. That customer service rep needs to be fired. Id be livid.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Regarding contacting Cannondale US... I've already tried that - forwarded the above conversation and mentioned the problems I have with this "EMEA warranty" guy and him not answering my email. I also added the addresses I was sending it to: servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com and emea-warranty@cyclingsportsgroup.com .

Their answer was I should try contacting "servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com".

This was done on Friday, didn't reply to them, but will be doing it this week and will try to make the problem more clear.

I did forward the above shown reply with included links to this topic and the one on PB to my importer which then sent it to this warranty guy. That was done on Monday and am currently waiting for response.

Quote Originally Posted by rec32 View Post
    I discovered the same crack on my 2012 Claymore this morning, looks just like the one on the pic you attached of the 2012 black and silver Claymore...I did not crash it to cause the crack and I just dropped it off at my LBS for warranty claim.

I will post up to let you know how my experience goes.
    Sorry to hear that.
    Looks like Claymore's have an serial defect and I think they are well aware of this problem.

Please post some photos if you can and how the thing goes... hopefully better then mine.

I will be updating this thread regulary and keep you up to date with the procedure. We'll see how long it takes to (hopefully) solve it...

Thanks for the comments!

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by acer66 View Post
    Wow, I hope you can sort things out, I only know that a buddy of mine had some very minor issue compared to yours with his Trigger frame and his shop got him the next years model frame in no time.
    That was here is the US which might make a difference and/or his shop knows someone at Cannondale.
    Anyway, good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by dani_b View Post
    I was at my LBS this week and he showed me an F29 carbon frame that was replaced without a hassle in no time. He (and anyone who knows this case for that matter) doesn't understand why they don't replace mine.

One theory is because Claymores are out of production as of 2013 (I wonder why?), but I would be happy with Jekyll as well, if they would offer it...
    On the other hand, they are offering "crash replacement" - but I won't accept it even if they give it for 100eur.

I was happy with my LBS and importers service and availability of parts... too bad they only offer Cdale's and Trek's as we most likely won't be doing anymore business unless I choose Trek in the future.
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Sounds like the problem is with your importer. I suggest to contact Cannondale USA directly.
    What mudsnow said.

I had a road frame replaced within a week for a minor crack and I even go my choice of color.

So, my experience has be great with Cannondale warranty service.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MudSnow View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dani_b View Post
    Regarding contacting Cannondale US... I've already tried that - forwarded the above conversation and mentioned the problems I have with this "EMEA warranty" guy and him not answering my email. I also added the addresses I was sending it to: servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com and emea-warranty@cyclingsportsgroup.com .

Their answer was I should try contacting "servicedeskeurope@cyclingsportsgroup.com".

This was done on Friday, didn't reply to them, but will be doing it this week and will try to make the problem more clear.

I did forward the above shown reply with included links to this topic and the one on PB to my importer which then sent it to this warranty guy. That was done on Monday and am currently waiting for response.

Sorry to hear that.
    Looks like Claymore's have an serial defect and I think they are well aware of this problem.

Please post some photos if you can and how the thing goes... hopefully better then mine.

I will be updating this thread regulary and keep you up to date with the procedure. We'll see how long it takes to (hopefully) solve it...

Thanks for the comments!
    Is there any kind of Euro style small claims court you can file a complaint with?

Sometimes di-ck head company reps need to have their actions evaluated. It sounds like this Euro imported company rep is just one of those di-ck heads.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    I have had nothing BUT bad experiences with cannondale Customer service/ warranty claim.

In the past I pushed them really hard to prove I was right, now I filed a warranty claim for a 1yr old F29 Black inc. They also responded negative. Other similar cases were replaced with no questions.

I called the head of EMEA and he said that I was a pain in the ass and this was their revenge.

It makes me sad, they do no realise that people have to pay an enourmous amount of money for a bike like that and we are not all millionaires. We expect quality and durability! For me this is a serious financial hangover... mentally as well to get treated like that!!!!!

mtbr member
    Wait a second...Michael Jackson is still alive? Hide yo' kids...

On a more serious note -- I would've been enraged at that "don't believe everything you read on the web comment..." I applaud you for keeping it 110% professional. Hope it works out for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by WA-CO View Post
    If you bash it, what do you do? Walk? Don't be a puss. Get back up there and try again.

Ridin' dirty!
    European warranty laws are pretty straight forward and legally everything is covered for 2 years and the seller must Provide evidence that the customer is not telling the truth. So, if they can not provide any evidence that this was caused by a crash then they have to honor the warranty claim. I said it before and I say it again that I heard through a reliable source after the Dorel takeover that cannondale will get away from their lifetime warranty. They already started it with their gravity bikes. So, read the fineprint and you will actually see what I mean. Cannondale is in for the profit now, so warranty claims will be harder and harder to push through. Anything to keep the share holders happy. Time to look for a different brand. My next one will not be an imported, foreign piece of cannondale junk, that's for sure. Good luck with your claim, keep us updated.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Time to look for a different brand. My next one will not be an imported, foreign piece of cannondale junk, that's for sure.

so you'll be changing your name then?

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    so you'll be changing your name then?
    Not as long as I will keep riding my beloved Prohet and my good ole' trusted Delta V like a maniac.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by cdalemaniac View Post
    Not as long as I will keep riding my beloved Prohet and my good ole' trusted Delta V like a maniac.

good on ya!

mtbr member
    Try putting your warranty experience on their social media, facebook, twitter etc.

Those replies are shocking and unbelievably unprofessional.

You wouldn't get that kind of treatment from much smaller outfits such as Turner, Pivot, Ibis etc.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Daniel,

I have no idea why you received a warranty claim rejection. It must be bad business practice because you are overseas and go through a distributer. I am sure someone who works for Cannondale looks at this forum from time to time.

I have not had any warranty issues other than they no longer make Claymore's and what they do have is only in small and medium. I ride a large. So, I am getting a discount towards a 2015 Jekyll.

I have had zero issues, same crack, no accusations of me crashing my bike from Cannondale. There must be a way where your LBS can directly contact Cannondale.

Regards

26er
    I just went through the warranty process and it was amazingly fast and painless. Took a half day to get the warranty approved. New bike shipped the next day. This is in the US with a longtime Cannondale dealer.
    Live to ride!
    15 Cannondale Jekyll Team
    09 Transition Bottle Rocket
    13 Cannondale Trigger Carbon 2
    09 Niner MCR 29er