mtbr member

Bonking ... not feelin' well Cannondale value for money???

I love my cannondales as much as the next guy, I'm considering buying my third as we speak.
    I am just having trouble seeing how they can charge so much, I've always paid it and haven't thought too much of comparisons, just a break down of frame here, cranks there, lefty here etc.

So I want some people to chime in on HOW these bikes can cost so much when you can get an italian motor bike for less!

Front suspension: “Marzocchi” Upside-Down telescopic hydraulic fork
    Fork leg diametre: 40 mm
    Fork travel: 120 mm
    Rear suspension: “Sachs” progressive with hydraulic shock absorber/spring pre-load
    Rear wheel travel: 133.5 mm
    Brakes front: 320 mm “Brembo” floating disc with 4 piston “BREMBO” calliper
    Brakes rear: 230 mm Single disc with “Brembo” calliper
    not to mention the motor!

VS

enough said

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I tend to disagree about Cannondales being overpriced. I think ten years ago this had more truth to it. When I bought my Rush 4 last year is was comparably equipped to most other bikes in the price range.

If you want another gas-burning machine then feel free. I have one and that's enough for me.

NEPMCPMBA President
    Jul 2007
    "economies of scale"

Look it up.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RoyDean
    "economies of scale"

Look it up.
    Well aware of the principals behind it, this was just a fun look at what the dollars ACTUALLY get you.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sp3000
    Well aware of the principals behind it, this was just a fun look at what the dollars ACTUALLY get you.
    More plastic on the Gas thing
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mad aussie
    Cannondales prices arent higher than anyone else in the major parts of the industry. A Specialized Epic S-Works carbon is around $6300 (overseas sourced frame), a Trek Top Fuel SL goes for nearly $7500, and all of a sudden the Carbon Scalpel Team doesnt look so bad.............

We are also looking at the very high end of bicycles here. For example to get a motorcycle to race at a world championship level would require a lot of very expensive parts and a big budget, whereas the Scalpel is ready to line up at the starting line of a world cup race. Friends who have raced with motorcycles, quads and cars think our sport is really cheap!

Kevin

LA CHÈVRE
    With bikes, you also save on insurance, gas, gym fees and bigger pants...

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

The Martian
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying Wombat
    Cannondales prices arent higher than anyone else in the major parts of the industry. A Specialized Epic S-Works carbon is around $6300 (overseas sourced frame), a Trek Top Fuel SL goes for nearly $7500, and all of a sudden the Carbon Scalpel Team doesnt look so bad.............

We are also looking at the very high end of bicycles here. For example to get a motorcycle to race at a world championship level would require a lot of very expensive parts and a big budget, whereas the Scalpel is ready to line up at the starting line of a world cup race. Friends who have raced with motorcycles, quads and cars think our sport is really cheap!

Kevin
    +1 Cannondales simply are not more expensive than comparable Trek, Giant, Specialized, Turner, Titus, Yeti, etc (you get the picture)

Comparing an absolute top of the line bike offering to what is likely a low to mid range motorcycle (I know little about motorcycles, but I do know the nice ones go for much more than the Scapel) is not exactly comparing apples to apples...

mtbr member
    I am new to mountain biking and was shocked at the price of bikes in general (looked at Trek, Gary Fischer, Specialized, Cannondale) but after thinking about it the prices where about the same as other better sporting goods golf, ski, tennis......

Also I would have thought that the Cannondals being the frames are american made would have cost more but it seems they where pretty competitive against the others.

After reading the specs on the Cagiva it seems like a very slick looking commuter more than a performance bike, but luckily Ducati has you covered with the GP7 a at around $30,000 US (if you can find one)

besides at 6'3" the Cannondale came in XL, I would be a a little cramped on that 125CC

regards
    Ray

I love my cannondales as much as the next guy, I'm considering buying my third as we speak.
    I am just having trouble seeing how they can charge so much, I've always paid it and haven't thought too much of comparisons, just a break down of frame here, cranks there, lefty here etc.

So I want some people to chime in on HOW these bikes can cost so much when you can get an italian motor bike for less!

Front suspension: “Marzocchi” Upside-Down telescopic hydraulic fork
    Fork leg diametre: 40 mm
    Fork travel: 120 mm
    Rear suspension: “Sachs” progressive with hydraulic shock absorber/spring pre-load
    Rear wheel travel: 133.5 mm
    Brakes front: 320 mm “Brembo” floating disc with 4 piston “BREMBO” calliper
    Brakes rear: 230 mm Single disc with “Brembo” calliper
    not to mention the motor!

VS

enough said

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    After just going through the process of comparing several bikes from various manufacturers and buying two Cannondales, I can say that they are very competitively priced and equipped comparably or better than their competition at their price points. I’m not talking top of the line team editions but meat and potatoes $1800-2500 bikes.

I will say that Rocky Mountain appeared to be the most over priced for what you got component-wise. I liked the Elements but they were about 20-25% more for the same “trim level”……..

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I gotta say the worst is Iron Horse...yeah dw link is nice, but come ON! Also, I believe that just the drop in '08 prices has been pretty nice for cannondales.

Music & Bikes
    You'll be a lot faster on the C'Dale than the Ducati on muddy trails.....
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

mtbr member
    Purchased my Prophet 1000 in Aug 2005, it WAS over priced compared to the Competition BUT I got it for £1600 and it should have been £2300 Plus it had a lefty and no other Manufacturer had one of those on their bikes!! Bike is Stock and still rides like new, LOVE IT, and still stand and stare at it when I get my car out of the garage every morning!

I used to Motorbike but cant be bothered anymore, Motorbikes in UK are like Clitoris's, every C@^!$ got one!

mtbr member
    I am in total agreement that Cannondale is priced well against other bicycle companies. I understand that high end bikes are made in far fewer numbers, but last year (and I'm pretty sure a few years back as well) bicycles out sold cars in Australia. This comparison was just a different way to look at things, as I've said i have 2 Cannondales and maybe a third one on it's way! All highly spec'd models.
    I just think it's funny to ACTUALLY put the two bikes side by side and justify price, I've got Formula brakes on mine the cagiva has massive brembos in comparisons, I have skinny little mavics on mine with 2.1 tyres it has monster rubber, I have a cable actuated duraileur it has a 6 speed gear box with a cluth, etc etc.. I could go on all day!
    I'll never buy a motor bike and I'll surely own plenty of mountain bikes but my point is only that for what you physically get we do pay alot!

mtbr member
    I hear ya

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by prophet_1000
    I hear ya
    Finally someone that gets this thread!!!
    I guess this means I'm not crazy, so I'll be ordering that new Cannondale now...

Avenger of Evil
    I am in total agreement that Cannondale is priced well against other bicycle companies. I understand that high end bikes are made in far fewer numbers, but last year (and I'm pretty sure a few years back as well) bicycles out sold cars in Australia.
    That is probably true. The only issue is the majority of bikes purchased are not high end name brand bikes, rather low end steel bikes that some company purchases complete, and "slaps" a name on it. That is why some bikes can be sold for under $100.00. Very high voume in the low end.
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

Like catnip for people
    Finally someone that gets this thread!!!
    I guess this means I'm not crazy, so I'll be ordering that new Cannondale now...
    Relax, I hear ya too!

Speaking of Motorcycles, I wouldn't mind a Ducati.

I could have purchased a fecking Car for the price I paid for mine. Let's all take a moment to consider the people in Europe debating whether to purchase a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Cannondale...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Thanks alot sp3000, now i want a motor bike. )

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The comparison between cars motorbikes and cycles is interesting and whilst I am not normally a fan of legislation, it is the introduction of minimum standards that has raised the quality of all cars and reduced the cost of better ones.
    Cheap bikes are just rubbish and will fall to pieces if used regularly by adults. So whats the problem? Apart from being a danger to the user they are also a danger to others when used in a public place. Whilst its illegal to use a bike in this country without brakes there is no minimum performance standard they have to meet. They can range from feeble in the dry to non-existant in the wet. Lousy materials which break when you try to make adjustments only add to these bikes unroadworthyness.
    Whatever your opinions on pollution, global warming, congestion or public health I think its a one way bet that increased bicycle use will become part of our future. These bikes need to be fit for purpose.
    So how does this affect the buyers of our choice of quality sports equiptment? Raised minimum standards will vastly increase the volumes of better quality cmponents and reduce their price. Adopting an elitist attitude will leave us paying through the nose.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ar1981
    Relax, I hear ya too!

I could have purchased a fecking Car for the price I paid for mine. Let's all take a moment to consider the people in Europe debating whether to purchase a Porsche 911 Turbo or a Cannondale...
    That's so true Great point!! now this is getting to what I wanted this thread to be, a bit of a laugh at us Cannondale nuts!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by squads
    If you want another gas-burning machine then feel free. I have one and that's enough for me.
    You could buy a Dirt Bike, sell the motor, battery, clutch, gearbox, headlight etc install some cranks and you'd be well cheaper than a judge with better suspension and brakes! Think about that!! It might be a bit hard to push up hills but without the extra bits it could be OK

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Cagiva Mito vs Cannondale Scalpel Carbon Team

CM=$7500 [ CSCT=$6900
    500lbs [ 22.5lbs
    roads only [ go anywhere
    6 gears [ 27 gears
    no Lefty [ Lefty
    maintainace
    cost- you don't [ minimal
    wanna know

OK, now lets compare apples and oranges