mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Cannondale V-Tech Grips, how do i remove them?

Hi people a dumb question, I decided to upgrade my grips and the thought had come to me that i have never removed grips before; the Cannondale V-Tech Grips were on my rush 2000 since I first bought the bike but now aren't comfortable anymore, I wanna remove them but not destroy them, might use them as spare or put it on another bike as they are still in pretty good condition, anyone have any advice on how to non-destructively remove them? thanks!
    Last edited by francois; 11-10-2012 at 10:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    If you have access to a air compressor you can usually blow em' right off without causing any harm at all. Just place the nozzle underneath the leading edge (closest to your lever mounts) and pull the trigger.

Ridin' dirty!
    If you don't have a compressor just slide something that will not scratch your handlebar (like a plastic knife) underneath the grip, squirt some windex in, pull the knife out, pull and twist and they'll pop right off.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Awesome, great suggestions guys! thanks Unfortunately don't have an air compressor to blow them off which is one i'd rather try ha So i'll go with cdalemaniac's suggestion heh Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Nocturnalnature View Post
    If you have access to a air compressor you can usually blow em' right off without causing any harm at all. Just place the nozzle underneath the leading edge (closest to your lever mounts) and pull the trigger.
    Be careful doing this if your compressor doesn't have a rubberized tip on the blower attachment! I scratched the heck out of my wife's bars by doing this once, because it's hard to get the grip "peeled away" from the bar enough to get the tip inside.

If your bike has bar-ends underneath the grips, I find that the best (and quickest!) way to get the grips off is to stick the blower's tip right into that little hole at the end of the grip, and then the grip just flies off!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Drop by your local pharmacy to get a syringe and needle (thickest so they don't snap so easily). Fill it up with water, prep the needle, insert into grip at the angle most parallel to your bars as you're comfortable with. When you feel that the needle is all the way through the grip and touching your handlebars, inject water. Grip would slide nicely out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Thanks guys for the input, i'm sure other people will find this useful!
    I actually used dishsoap in a spray bottle and used popsicle sticks to pry an opening and sprayed it in, worked it around the inside of the grips and they just wiggled off