mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 1

Anyone have any experience with this bike? I am going to make my first *big* purchase and am eyeballing this bike. I have a Cannondale F-500 in perfect condition I am going to use this season (my first season)

Even tho I am new to the sport, I feel I will progress pretty quickly. I am a avid snowboarder and a lot of the same principles apply (picking your line, shifting your weight etc). Went on my first group ride the other day and even the guys I rode with said I was doing pretty good for never been on a trail.

Anyone have any experience with this particular bike? I saw a review for the Trail SL 29er 2 on this board (2012 model) and about $300 less than this. Cant find any real reviews on this besides a couple on C'Dales home page

TRAIL SL 29ER 1 - Trail SL 29er - Hardtail 29er - Mountain - Bikes - 2013

I think my first bike is going to be around $1600-$1800 budget range. Pretty sure I want to try 29er over 26, thinking hard tail. I think if i go FS i would want to shell out serious cash ($3,000+) which i simply can not do right now, there are like 10 FS bikes I want on the cannondale site haha. I think the above bike would also be something I could keep for a longg time to complement my FS bike further down the road. Have a HT and a FS depending on my mood and riding situation

So my plan is to rock my F-500 for this season, save up some dolla bills then upgrade to a new bike in the fall (clearance sale). I am going to be doing trails in Eastern Virginia. So a lot of roots, mellower down hill, smaller jumps. Not a lot of rocks. Interested in trails, some distance and just having fun, riding hard.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 1-cannondale-f-500.jpg

Just A Mountain Biker.

Cannondale Trail SL 29er 1

That's a great choice, and solid thinking on saving up. You should be able to get one for 1499 or less by the time the fall rolls around. I have a 2012 SL2 29 and love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    26" isn't dead, it just got FAT

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Man so I went to the LBS at lunch today, this shop used to be a flagship cannondale dealer...now they were saying cannondales are no where near what they used to be.

They weren't "hating" on the bike i linked about, they were just not for it by any means.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have the trail SL4, I love mine! It creaks a little... But people do call them creak'n'dale.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    If you're in doubt, check out the latest issue of Mountain Bike Action. They said the Trail SL 29 might be most recommended bike of 2013.

mtbr member
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2013 Cannonale Jekyll 3 M

mtbr member
    Looks like a really solid rig. REI is having their spring sale and I've got a $200 credit. I might have to pick this one up. My first season of mountain riding ahead.

mtbr member
    Do you have the results of the test? Aside from the SL-1 with the taco'ed wheel, were there any further comments on that bike?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Just picked up the SL 1 29er from REI. The sale does't cover Cannondales, unfortunately. Anyway, the bike is downright sick - well balanced, quick as hell for a 29er and solid overall. Mountain Bike Action Magazine (current issue) just gave it awesome reviews and said it might be the most recommended bike this year. Pull the trigger, you won't be disapointed.

mtbr member
    MBA showed the weight of the SL 1 29" as 28 lbs. Can you confirm that? I have a non-Cannondale 24 lbs 26" HT and would be tempted to try a 29er if the weight of the SL 1 really was about 28 lbs. That way it would at least not out weigh my 26" FS which is also 28 lbs. In any case, good luck and enjoy your new bike. It really appears to be an awesome ride.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Newbie to mt bike but I just pick up a Trail SL4 for $600 brand new from my LBS. This was my first mt bike.