mtbr member
    Sep 2011

Cannondale Trail 6

I've been looking at everything to see what a good entry level MTB would be great to get. I tried the Trail 6 out at my LBS when I dropped my other bike for a tune-up. It's light and felt great and is in my price range(the highest I can possibly go) @ $550.00.

Here is the thing. I won't really be tearing up single tracks and taking big jumps.Just the usual small downhills and off the beaten paths that are rooted,rocky and sandy. Eventually single tracks once a month but only the easy routes.On disability(bad back is part of it)so taking too many jolts isn't possible.

Just some newbie questions to those that know Cannondale.

Will this bike hold up for years ?

Is it worth it to upgrade later to better shocks,tires,and maybe rims? Does my riding style even require it? I have a feeling it's just the part of me that likes to show off a bit sometimes.

Is it silly to go from 21 gears to 7(if it can be done)? I'm thinking it will be easier maintence-easier for me to keep everything shifting correct and not half top drop it off at the LBS

Sorry if it seems like a lot. My stuff is selling on ebay and getting this bike seems possible to get sooner than I expected...so I'm really getting excited.It's been a long time since I have been this motivated.

Thank you everyone. This place is quite the motivation tool as well.

Eatin' aint Cheatin'
    Quote Originally Posted by Littlewolf77 View Post
    I've been looking at everything to see what a good entry level MTB would be great to get. I tried the Trail 6 out at my LBS when I dropped my other bike for a tune-up. It's light and felt great and is in my price range(the highest I can possibly go) @ $550.00.

Here is the thing. I won't really be tearing up single tracks and taking big jumps.Just the usual small downhills and off the beaten paths that are rooted,rocky and sandy. Eventually single tracks once a month but only the easy routes.On disability(bad back is part of it)so taking too many jolts isn't possible.

Just some newbie questions to those that know Cannondale.

Will this bike hold up for years ?

Is it worth it to upgrade later to better shocks,tires,and maybe rims? Does my riding style even require it? I have a feeling it's just the part of me that likes to show off a bit sometimes.

Is it silly to go from 21 gears to 7(if it can be done)? I'm thinking it will be easier maintence-easier for me to keep everything shifting correct and not half top drop it off at the LBS

Sorry if it seems like a lot. My stuff is selling on ebay and getting this bike seems possible to get sooner than I expected...so I'm really getting excited.It's been a long time since I have been this motivated.

Thank you everyone. This place is quite the motivation tool as well.
    IMHO, I think you should lean on your lbs to get you a 2011 trail sl 3 for that price range being as the 2012's are coming. I had a 2010 F5 which is speced the same and it was a great bike. The fork is better the brakes, shifters, derailers, etc. And yes, even if you don't do hardcore trails you will appreciate the better componentry. Then you won't need to do much if any upgrading. I will say the black and green sl6 looks sweet. Good luck!
    2011 Trek Fuel EX 8
    2010 Cannondale F4

Just Ride
    I have the trail SL4 29er. I think the frames are the same. If not the same they are built the same. Different size obviously between 26 and 29, but other than that. I'm gonna convert mine to 1x8 as soon as I get the tool I need to remove the chain rings. I don't see the point in all the extra gears either.

When I got mine, they informed me that cannondale has a lifetime warranty on the frame and a year on components. I've had the bike almost 2 weeks now and ride the hell out of it every chance I get! So far nothing has broken. Anything I can do on the trails around here, the bike can handle with ease! It's even forgiving on the landings from bigger drops. I've had to adjust the brakes a time or 2, to be expected, but the shifters have stayed well adjusted. Course that could be because I don't use them much!
    SS ==> Nut up or Shut up!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the replies. I can get a '11 SL3 for 670.00 or a '10 F5 for 650.00 @my LBS(with free life time tune ups)...that may be pushing a bit..lol but you never know. It gives me something else to look at. Today they showed me a '11 Trail 5 that was on sale @ 529.00 down from 629.00. I had to leave immediatley before I put a couple bikes on my CC...lol. I am however going to go from 3X9 to 1X7 or 1X8....it just seems easier. Since I am in FL and not AZ anymore or where there are large mountains to climb....don't think I need 27 gears.