May 2007

Cannondale take over rumours

This thread has been posted in the UK.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...0707&t=3270707

Like catnip for people
    Quote Originally Posted by Peteimpreza
    This thread has been posted in the UK.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/foru...0707&t=3270707
    I think this post below is quite old, could have possibly been around the bankruptcy time... Whether the rumour grew from someone reading this, who knows... But I guess it shows that Pacific "was" interested in CDale... Which could infer that they are interested again... Who knows!

Pacific pull out of race for Cannondale

Mar 19th

Pacific Cycle LLC acquired Schwinn/GT Corp. for $86m in a room packed with lawyers on the same day as terrorists flew into the twin towers in New York. Now, on the eve of a Middle Eastern war, Pacific has ruled itself out of the bidding for Cannondale. The highest bid out of the sealed envelopes wins Thursday's auction for the corporation.

Non-disclosure rules forbid Cannondale execs from revealing any concrete info until after the sealed bids have been opened. An announcement is expected late Thursday or early Friday.

Accell, Europe's second biggest bike maker, was hoping to be a front runner in the bidding.

Like many bike companies, Pacific looked at Cannondale's books and went on HQ tours, but the company is believed to have declined to make a bid.

LA CHÈVRE
    Since Cannondale are owned by suit and tie guys who don't care much about cycling but more about money, it wouldn't be surprising that they eventually sell the company. I just hope that, whatever company that would buy Cannondale buys it for what it is: an innovative company with creative and skilled bike designers, engineers and all the people that make a Cannondale what it is and what we love. If the owner let the people at Cannondale do what they do best, it's all good. If it turns into another Klein, that would be a very sad end to one of the most creative companies in the buisness...

Seeing what Pacific Cycles do with their current brand, doesn't seem that bad. They bought Schwinn while it was already way down and GT while it was down too... And they seem to let the people at GT try to do their own thing, check their DH bike that has been under developpement and prototype form for the last few years... It might not change one thing after all but anyway, it's just rumors.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    It would be cool if they sold it to the employees like Harley Davidson did back in 1982? or 1981? I had a 1980 AMF model wide glide for 22 years and compared to a, say, a 1985 wide glide was night and day. The company "took off" like a rocket with way better design and engineering and people started buying them. Not that Cannondale is in any dire straights I know of, but I think if you let the employees be "free" some "kick ass" designs can be born. Of course, I don't know how free the employees are now and maybe they are already. IMHO

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    I hope they realize this is the fastest way to lose ALL the buzz from the brand name. I'm always amazed when I come on to this forum the large # people viewing the 'dale section relative to the other brand sections....even brands which are much larger. They just have no buzz...."made in Taiwan pablum". Don't get me wrong, there's a place for "made in Taiwan pablum", just don't expect me to get excited about it.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by steadite
    I'm always amazed when I come on to this forum the large # people viewing the 'dale section relative to the other brand sections....even brands which are much larger. They just have no buzz...."made in Taiwan pablum".
    Good observation. In marketing speak it's called emotional attachment, and it's pure gold for a company. If your customers express some sort of emotional attachment to your product (i.e. pride--proud to be an owner), then you'll get great customer retention. If your customers are only rationally satisfied with your product (product functions well), then loyalty will be weak.

Cannondale's brand seems to have it. Other, smaller brands--like Surly, Turner, and Rivendell--definitely have it.

The downside for Cannondale is that those things that create emotional attachment for many customers, i.e. made in the USA and the Lefty, probably come at higher production costs. So, as with most business decisions, it comes down to trade-offs.

But yeah, I think you're right. Cannondale's brand seems to resonate more with customers than other larger manufacturers. For now, at least. . . .