mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Cannondale Super V to Uber V? What do I need?

I'm a 57 y.o. fitness/leisure rider. Have been riding the same mtb, a pre-2000 Super V 700 Comp, for three years with no plans to change bikes. But recently, while investigating a switch to disc brakes, I learned of an "Uber V" conversion involving the replacement of the swingarm with that of a 2000 and later Super V, Jekyll, or Raven II. Apparently these swingarms are disc brake ready and also allow room for a 7.5"x 2" rear shock. (Presently I have a Superactiv swingarm and a 5.25" (measured eye to eye) Fox shock.

So my question is, is all that is necessary to make the conversion the swapping of swingarms, rear shock, and running new cable housing and cables? I already have a Marzocchi Bomber front fork that is disc ready.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Super v to uber v

So pretty much yes, that is all you need. I am sure since you posted this and did some searching you probably came across tryon bikes- uber v forum ( has since been archived) but you can search through that and you will find pretty much everything you need to know bout what to expect and what you need. For the most part yes you need a swingarm, longer stroke shock,cables, disc brakes and disc wheels. I have dabbled with these a bit and it's perfect for updating an "old workhorse" lol. Hope this helps you!

mtbr member
    I did the uber v thing 10 years ago, and I thought it was an old bike then. Mine was a 99 and it required no mods other than shock and swingarm. Anyway, there's at least one giant uber v thread that should have most if not all your answers. I'd use the search and start there before you go buying parts. I think the earliest Super V frames can't be ubered, so its worth looking before spending money..

I wound up cracking the jekyll swingarm and moved on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Thanks. Since my original post I have read that thread and have been blessed by several nice people sharing their info.

My main goal was to add disc brakes. I have two friends who are excellent tig welders. After discussion I've decided to attempt welding disc brake mounts to my existing swingarm and to modify the shock mount tabs on the frame to accept a 6.5" pro pedal shock. We figured that if I was determined to get disc brakes, if the mounts break off my stock swingarm, all I've lost is fabrication time since I would have needed a disc mount swingarm anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ryguy79 View Post
    I did the uber v thing 10 years ago, and I thought it was an old bike then. Mine was a 99 and it required no mods other than shock and swingarm. Anyway, there's at least one giant uber v thread that should have most if not all your answers. I'd use the search and start there before you go buying parts. I think the earliest Super V frames can't be ubered, so its worth looking before spending money..

I wound up cracking the jekyll swingarm and moved on.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jfenn View Post
    Thanks. Since my original post I have read that thread and have been blessed by several nice people sharing their info.

My main goal was to add disc brakes. I have two friends who are excellent tig welders. After discussion I've decided to attempt welding disc brake mounts to my existing swingarm and to modify the shock mount tabs on the frame to accept a 6.5" pro pedal shock. We figured that if I was determined to get disc brakes, if the mounts break off my stock swingarm, all I've lost is fabrication time since I would have needed a disc mount swingarm anyway.

I'd think through that just a bit. If the mounts break off of the swing arm, you may loose more than fabrication time. I'd hate to have something as large as a brake caliper break off in close proximity to a spinning rear wheel/rotor.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I've thought it through. If I were a clydesdale, or if there wasn't a front brake already doing most of the stopping work, I wouldn't try it. Also, I think it is highly unlikely that the whole caliper would break off in a single application of the brakes. More likely is that cracks in the weld(s) will occur. We may decide to heat treat the weld, in which case, if done properly, the weld will be as strong as the rest of the 6061-T6.

mtbr member
    Of course you'll also need replacement hubs to house the disc rotors. Will you be rebuilding your wheels with replacement hubs or replacing the complete wheels?

I have been rebuilding my own wheels and its quite satisfying, you can re-use the existing rim brake rims or select from the many good deals out there for new rims. I'd recommend a wide rim, at least 21mm or 23mm so that the wheel can easily take a nice fat 2.4" tire