Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cannondale Super V

2K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  mtnbkr57 
#1 ·
Has anyone been experiencing the back end of a super V bike slipping while trail riding?

#4 ·
slipping

:( The back end of my bike always slides &/or slips out. Whether going around a curve on a relatively flat trail, going downhill around a bend, or even just riding over uneven obstacles (like roots). I have changed out the back tires, consulted the experts in the bike stores, tried adjusting my riding position but nothing has seemed to work.

Unfortunately I recently had a serious back injury on the bike when the back end slid out & catpulted me into a tree. Spent 5 days in the hospital, broke multiple ribs & snapped off pieces of 4 vertebrae. Just wonder if anyone has heard of others hurt when riding V-frame type of FS bikes. Thanks.

#5 ·
Super-V's have been around for about 10 years and they are not known for "slipping" as you have described. They don't have any inherent problems.

The only thing that could be causing what you are describing is:

* Worn pivot bearings
* Too low air pressure in tires

I've never heard of a bike's back end "sliding out" and causing it to catpult the rider. On any bike for that matter (except rear skewer failure). I suppose if the pivot bearings were completely worn it would cause something similar to what you said. The rear swings-arm should only pivot up/down and not side to side!

#9 ·
VintageFolly said:
Hmm, sounds like someone trying to find fault in a product, rather than take responsibility for their own actions. Fishing for similar stories, maybe trying to put a legal suit together.. Has a suspicious ring to it, anyways.
I had a 97` superV500 small that I mounted 2.1 Ritchey Moby-Bite slicks onit. I would ride it around in the hood on the city streets and I have leaned over hard on a turn at 20+ MPH and I have been thrown off this bike a few times. Its a 2 piece frame for heavens sake! It is going to twist and untwist its self on extremely hard fast turns especially on pavement!

I also have a 98` superV400 small that has a 1" longer front triangle than my 97`. I have had this bike have some wicked power slides on some S turns and even had the backend come around. Freaked out the racers behind me. The wheel base and short top tube + a higher bottom bracket than their hard tail brotheren, makes turns alittle sketchy. Sound like I am describing my SUV. But the sweet ride over roots is sooo smooth. I upgraded the rear shock to a Cane-Creek cloud 9 with a Jekyl swingarm and it was under 25lbs.
I loved my superVs` but I just changed out my superV frame for a hardtail Furio frame and I love it even more. I have never riden a hardtail before (because all my buddies are giants compared to me with their seats way up i the air), and what I had read over and over is that riding a hardtail makes you a better rider(?). But what I found out for me self is that I learned to ride on a superV, and the superV made me a better rider for a hardtail.
I have riden a superV for 3 years and raced it for 1.5 seasons. Won alot of races on this antique and have only wiped out alot on just the fast turns. But hey, these are Free-Ride bikes! I have even jumped it off a 6 foot drop and the rear shock bottomed out and made the backend flip me and the bike over the front. I have the rebound set reeeaaaal slooooow now!
Riding out of control can be both fun and dangerous!

#10 ·
Rear Tire Skid On Super V 800

I gave my stepson my Super V 800, and regretted doing it, afterwards. So I went out and purchased another bike.

When I rode the Super V 800, I was upgrading from a GT Outpost - big difference! The Super V 800 came with Hutchinson's Mosquitos and did well for hard pack. I never sped down any trails - always feathered both breaks going downhill and placed my body weight on the pedals and handle bars. I never noticed skidding in a standing-riding stance, but if I sat down, I would notice skids in turns and skidding in downhills.

The last time I rode w/my stepson, I noticed (trailing behind him) he was always skidding in downhill turns - with regards to his rear tire. I asked him if he was using both breaks, and he said 'no, just the back break.' I suggested to him to try to feather-brake with both brakes, and try to rise up off the seat, so as to weigh the bike down in the center - between both wheels. I think he tried it once - and did not notice the rear wheel skidding.

I think it's more riding technique than bike engineering. Neither one of us races. But I think this was a great bike to own for general, cross-country trail riding! And, I know my stepson enjoys the bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.