mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Cannondale Stem size (steerer)

What size steerer is this? It has a syntace VRO stem which doesn't let me upgrade the handlebar as far as I can tell because it looks like it only accepts a very small diameter bar (25.4).

That said I was thinking of just replacing the stem with a normal one...but I noticed that this steerer is much larger diameter - perhaps 1.5" by my rough measure?

I don't see a whole lot of options with a large steerer size either?

Attachment 1134421

mtbr member
    You are correct. The VRO system is 25.4. The older Cannondale Headshok steer tube is slightly larger than 1.5"
    NOS is about the only way to find a HeadShok stem with 31.8 handlebar diameter and the correct steer tube size. I found one on eBay.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    So since mine is an old lefty, does it have the same diameter as a Headshok? so if I find a headshok stem (but doesn't say lefty)...it should work?

Also what degree rise do you think this is...from the handlebar to the steerer (not the stem angle)...

Attachment 1134685

mtbr member
    Yes to the first question.

Are you asking what the handlebar rise is? Tough one, as with the adjustments you can do with the VRO, you might have to get out a straight edge and do some measuring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    There's a 1.5" version of the VRO but it's shorter and, well, it's 1.5" not lefty...

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by grubetown View Post
    you might have to get out a straight edge and do some measuring.
    I was/did this, but quickly confused myself...should the straight edge be parallel to the floor or the head tube? I assume the floor but wasn't quite sure.

many thanks!

mtbr member
    I believe the rise is measured from the center of the bar where it clamps and then to the center of the end.

mtbr member
    Aug 2016
    The tube size is 1.56, I have a brand new Cannondale 60mm 5deg stem that fits 31.8 bars I'm looking to get rid of since it's too short for my bike. I have $57.99 in it

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Thanks all for the information. I found some NOS stuff on ebay for a few bucks and that worked out great!

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    A question. It has been argued by a Cannondale representative that the 1,5" and 1,56" standards are in fact compatible if the frame has a 4,5" headtube. As I happen to have an extra 1,5" stem which I bought by mistake, I was wondering if I could install a Lefty on a 2001 Jekyll using a 1,5" steerer. At the moment there´s an 1 1/8" straight Fox.

Or maybe I got this Definitive guide: Cannondale frame headset fork compatibility for mountain bikes and this Will a Lefty or Headshock fit in a 1.5 headtube? wrong, in fact you need different headsets.

Big Question, If I have a frame that originally took a 1,56" stem and a QHDST, is it possible to install a 1,5 and a KP119 for Lefty?

I´m quite certain that it would be easier to follow the original idea.
    Last edited by BB Holland; 06-08-2017 at 08:13 AM.