mtbr member
    Mar 2004

Cannondale stem - lighter alternatives?

I am trying to lighten up my Flash. In that connection I wonder if anyone has looked into the weight saving potential comparing the integrated Cannondale stem that comes with the bike, with the weight of a light-weight carbon stem parred with the steertube that can be attached to the Lefty so a standard stem can be used?

I am thinking about going for the steertube + stem version if it can save weight, but on the other hand I am also considering whether the integrated Cannondale stem may be stiffer than the conventional setup.

Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    Not too sure what handlebar is on your bike, but I will say that I swapped out my FSA K-Force Carbon bars with the C3 that was on my RZ120, and it made a huge difference, especially with the already pretty light Lefty DLR(120mm) fork on there. I think I may have gone too light, as my front end wants to come up a bit when climbing now, but is very nice for going downhill to get the front end up a little bit, and for maneuvering in the really tight stuff. Just my 2cents, but I found that to be the easiest route to shed a little weight.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by seismic
    I am trying to lighten up my Flash. In that connection I wonder if anyone has looked into the weight saving potential comparing the integrated Cannondale stem that comes with the bike, with the weight of a light-weight carbon stem parred with the steertube that can be attached to the Lefty so a standard stem can be used?

I am thinking about going for the steertube + stem version if it can save weight, but on the other hand I am also considering whether the integrated Cannondale stem may be stiffer than the conventional setup.

Any thoughts?
    A few people in here are using Mattias Carbon steerer, if you are not into carbon then you try the alloy version. Eliflap may have some alloy one's lying around.
    For sure, the Cannondale stem/steerer will be stiffer being that its 1pcs but it all depends on your riding style for it to matter. I do mostly hard XC with no problems with Mattias Carbon steerer.

I saved about 93g on my Flash , also the other good thing is that you can use a standard stem. In my case a 25.4mm stem. Some photo's for you do see

Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    A few people in here are using Mattias Carbon steerer, if you are not into carbon then you try the alloy version. Eliflap may have some alloy one's lying around.
    For sure, the Cannondale stem/steerer will be stiffer being that its 1pcs but it all depends on your riding style for it to matter. I do mostly hard XC with no problems with Mattias Carbon steerer.

I saved about 93g on my Flash , also the other good thing is that you can use a standard stem. In my case a 25.4mm stem. Some photo's for you do see

Looks great! I think the carbon steer would be awesome. Do you get it in 1 1/8" or 1,5".....guess it has to be 1 1/8" in order to compatible with most stems?

mtbr member
    Yep...1 1/8"
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep...1 1/8"
    Can see you have a Flash....any links to pics?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Yep...1 1/8"
    Btw, as you seems to know your Cannondale stuff really well, can you tell me what parts are actually needed in order to convert the headset from the current 1.5 into 1.125 in order to fit the carbon steer tube? Thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Btw, as you seems to know your Cannondale stuff really well, can you tell me what parts are actually needed in order to convert the headset from the current 1.5 into 1.125 in order to fit the carbon steer tube? Thanks
    Hi seismic...Seems to me like you dont quite get the point with this carbon steertube that are shown here. The point is that you dont have to change anything in the headset. you just hammer the steertube into place, the aluminiumpart on the pictured steertube are 1.5" this is forced into the headset with a hammer and the lefty clamps are clamped on there like any other cannondale specific steertube. When you got the steertube in place, you just put on your selected 1 1/8" stem on the 1 1/8" carbontube.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by borgenvik
    Hi seismic...Seems to me like you dont quite get the point with this carbon steertube that are shown here. The point is that you dont have to change anything in the headset. you just hammer the steertube into place, the aluminiumpart on the pictured steertube are 1.5" this is forced into the headset with a hammer and the lefty clamps are clamped on there like any other cannondale specific steertube. When you got the steertube in place, you just put on your selected 1 1/8" stem on the 1 1/8" carbontube.

Thank you for the explanation ! That was just what i needed.

mtbr member
    Has anybody weight from cannondale xc3 2011 stem/steerer?

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

Stem pics

here perfect for the Flash....

mtbr member
    Here's a couple around stem area

Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

Old School
    Notice you don't use Matchmakers, any reason?

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    and how much does it cost? that carbon tube for the lefty

mtbr member
    Sep 2006

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bourne4red
    Notice you don't use Matchmakers, any reason?
    I use too but I trying to save more grams plus I like the look of them

Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    XgreygOOse/ Scalpel 3000 Germany - please show us the complete Bike!