mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Cannondale Single Speed?

Anyone converted there cannondale to a single speed? I'm thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with it....thanx!

mtbr member
    I converted my old Taurine Team frame (parts all moved to my rush) to a single speed. I had a bunch of random parts laying around and decided to make a single speed. Running a 34x16 gear ratio and it is a blast. I know the chain looks slack in the pic, I broke the half link that I had to run with a 32x16 ratio. So there is a stick holding the chain together for the pic. 34x16 no half link needed.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    looks awesome man!! I have a 2010 F5 that I thought about making the switch with, just wasn't sure if the frame was worth putting a bunch of new parts on or not...

What parts did you use to make the switch? Was it expensive?

I rode my RZ 120 today as a SS and had no idea how much fun it could be, instantly made me want a true SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh
    What parts did you use to make the switch? Was it expensive?
    The only parts I had to buy were the single speed chain tension-er, ss cog, chain and single speed chain ring (has no pins or ramps) All together retail that was prolly around $100. I had the brakes, fork, wheels, tires, bars, stem and cranks all laying around. If your bike is complete right now, all you will need to buy is the tension-er, the rear cog and chain. You can use your current cranks and take off the granny and big ring. You may want to keep the big ring on as a bash guard as taking it off you will need to buy shorter chain ring bolts. Gear ratio is something to consider. How is your local trail? Fast and flat, slow and steep?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    trails are relatively fast and flowey (if thats a word...) A few hills but none that last long.

thanx man...really good info. the F5 is complete right now...so I'm definitely gonna swap out some parts and give this a try!

mtbr member
    Start off with your middle ring (32) and a 16 in the back. That will give you a 32x16 ratio. If that to hard go with a 17 in the rear, to easy maybe a 15.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryanhugh
    Anyone converted there cannondale to a single speed? I'm thinking about doing it and was wondering if anyone else has any experience with it....thanx!
    Going to do a Flash 29er carbon 2 this fall...

Looks like I can get a magic gear with a 32 x 20, having a 32T Ti ring made by Hellore.se and may eventually rebuild the rear wheel with a WI Eno eccentric hub so I can run different ratios without having to use a tensioner.

mtbr member
    I have been racing a Flash 29 as a SS all year. I just used an old Singleator I had laying around. I have a team SS from last year but wanted to try the Flash as a SS. I will put the gears back on this fall.

mtbr member
    I have a Taurine with a terralogic lefty. I use the White Industries Eccentric rear hub. I find since I built this thing, it's what I ride 90% of the time in the dirt.