I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Cannondale Should Further Improve Headshok

One thing I still cannot accept about the Lefty- is that massive fork stanchion, braced to the head tube. I know because of carbon, they are reasonably light- but I still think the existing Headshok technology can be brought to another level, in terms of travel, strength, and lightness.

I am an aerospace engineer, who has spent countless hours studying landing gear technology for military, and commercial aircraft. I am convinced if Cannondale were to remove just one leg of their existing Headshok DLR fork- the end result would be the lightest front suspension, on the planet. However, the remaining leg would obviously need to be made of an entirely different metals composition/construction. I would recommend a flat Scandium, or even Ti forging, as the "new Lefty" brace. Then, add another 20-50mm of air-sprung, oil-damped travel......and this new fork will be a world-beating setup.

Carefully examine the front landing gear of any fighter aircraft, to see what I mean. One brace is all that's needed to safely bring down an entire $50million jet. A mountain bike can be brought down with much less odd-looking hardware. Thoughts, ideas, comments?

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    An un-suspended version already exists. It's called the fatty solo. I can only imagine that there is a suspended version in the works.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I actually perfer the "odd looking" hardware of the Lefty.

Avenger of Evil
    I like my lefty too....but that looks Cool!!!!
    I just ordered a F29 One, but now I'm having second thoughts.
    Where did you find that?
    Have I not been surfing the Cannondale website enough?
    Famous Last Words....."Hey, watch this!!"

mtbr member
    the ridgid lefty is europe only.

Kanonkuglen.dk

Yes...

I really think that Zachariah has a good point about the room for further developing the headshok forks, the combined headshok/lefty version as he suggest. And of course it its also very interessting to consider the way that aircraft suspension is designed an how much materiale really is needed:-)! Even though we all love the Lefty and Headshok there is allways room for improvement, and maybe Cannondale could improve the suspension and develops something even more spectacular. So it's and guys with boundrypushing ideas like Zachariah the world need:-)!
    Got the Cannondale fewer - my cycling blog: kanonkuglen.blogspot.com

7hz
    Old newbie
    New stuff and good ideas are always cool.

However, I think that the lefiy is the way it is because they can't get any more travel than the 80mm of the headshok into that design without compromising strength (very tiny headtube). That's why the lefty has everything in the leg and not in the headtube like the headshok.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    The last time I looked, Cannondale was searching a composite engineer. Apply to the job I would say...
    Further, I also remeber something like 7hz said. Still, I can very well imagine that it's possible.
    If you want to integrate more travel into a Fatty, either parts have to go into the fork leg or the head tube should be longer. Then, by stuffing everything into the left tube things become easier.

LA CHÈVRE
    The Lefty came out for several reason but one of the main thing was that the Headshok design limited the amount of travel possible. Add too much travel to the Headshok and you would end up with a sky high front end. Not because they need to stuff parts in the headtube, but the travel has to happen between the fork crown and the lower headset. I could see a light and stiff carbon Fatty but still at 80mm for XC racers... but since the Lefty can be made very light (remember the SL is lighter than the Fatty and the rumors about a 300gr lighter SL next year) while having room for better, more detailed internals, I don't see too much happening to the Headshok.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

Music & Bikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Gerous
    The Lefty came out for several reason but one of the main thing was that the Headshok design limited the amount of travel possible......
    I remember reading somewhere that the firsts lefty prototype were the Moto forks cut in half.

Missy Giove , water in the fork..... Good memories !
    "There is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over" -FZ

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sjef
    The last time I looked, Cannondale was searching a composite engineer. Apply to the job I would say...
    Thanx for the heads-up......but I love my job at Lockheed-Martin.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

No good

Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    An un-suspended version already exists. It's called the fatty solo. I can only imagine that there is a suspended version in the works.

That must ride like a Rock!

Singlespeeds are supposed to be Steel!

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NEPMTBA
    That must ride like a Rock!

Singlespeeds are supposed to be Steel!
    NEPMTBA, obviously you don't like Cannondales (based upon your ongoing comments on the topic about Cannondale being sold) so why are you posting here? Go visit the forums on stuff you actually like.

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by vitaccop
    NEPMTBA, obviously you don't like Cannondales (based upon your ongoing comments on the topic about Cannondale being sold) so why are you posting here? Go visit the forums on stuff you actually like.
    Word.
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom "Leftified" Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    A modern coil spring version of the Ultra DLR would be great. No risk of air leaks and no need for a shock pump. Also, willing to trade the lock out feature for a robust and wide range compression setting.

From a basic trail bike/urban commuter standpoint, it would be nice to exchange some weight savings for durability and simplicity. All this while using a standard front hub.