mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Cannondale Seatpost + saddle with carbon rails?

just got a Fizik Aliante saddle with carbon rails (7x9mm) and suddenly discovered that it is not possible to use it with cannodale SAVE seatpost ? Am I right? What seatpost would you recommend instead? Will it work with FSA K-force?

sorry if i'm repeating the thread, could not find the answer.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Vasiliyg View Post
    just got a Fizik Aliante saddle with carbon rails (7x9mm) and suddenly discovered that it is not possible to use it with cannodale SAVE seatpost ? Am I right? What seatpost would you recommend instead? Will it work with FSA K-force?

sorry if i'm repeating the thread, could not find the answer.
    If you have "carbon railings" I would highly recommend a "full type clamping" found on Thomson post etc..

mtbr member
    You can use it but you have to purchase USE sumo clamps:

USE - Ultimate Sports Engineering:

Going to set you back somewhere around $40

mtbr member
    Bumping an old thread. I'm happy with my Save seat post and want to use it with a Specialized 7x9mm carbon railed saddle. It looks like this is the USE/Sumo adapter that I would need to get: SUMOBK9X7 9mm high, 7mm wide oval rail

Does anyone know where I can order one of these clamps? The contact info for USE is in the UK. Are these clamps stocked by any distributors in the U.S.?

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    here is their e-mail, info@use1.co.uk

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Which version of the SAVE seatpost (year) do you have?

The latest version should handle carbon rails without any modifications.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by the_marsbar View Post
    Which version of the SAVE seatpost (year) do you have?

The latest version should handle carbon rails without any modifications.
    I have the 2012 Save post. I "thought" the clamp only works on a round 7mm seat rail and the Spec saddle I'm looking at is 7x9mm.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    the new save seat post does not have the USE clamp. the USE clamp is deigned to clamp the seat rails from the sides - it was shite that is why c'dale stopped using it.

if you e-mail USE they should be able to provide you with contact details for a distributor.

or...

OS saddle clamping for Flash and Synapse - Dr. Cannondale

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by parkincake View Post
    the new save seat post does not have the USE clamp. the USE clamp is deigned to clamp the seat rails from the sides - it was shite that is why c'dale stopped using it.
    I guess they changed the clamp for 2013 as I still have the one with the USE. Once I understood how the clamp system works and knocking the two caps off before doing any angle adjustments I haven't had any issues with the seat post clamp for Fizik or Selle Italia saddles.

I did track down the U.S. distributor for USE parts.
    Exposure Lights | VDO Cycle computers | U.S.E. | Modolo
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Cannondale Seatpost + saddle with carbon rails?-save.jpg  

Mulleticious

New question here.

Quote Originally Posted by thatdrewguy View Post
    Bumping an old thread. I'm happy with my Save seat post and want to use it with a Specialized 7x9mm carbon railed saddle. It looks like this is the USE/Sumo adapter that I would need to get: SUMOBK9X7 9mm high, 7mm wide oval rail

Does anyone know where I can order one of these clamps? The contact info for USE is in the UK. Are these clamps stocked by any distributors in the U.S.?
    'drew' - I'm looking at this Cannondale Save seatpost to take the edge off my rigid build. I've read that the seatpost actually allows the saddle to move when you get sharp hits. Not sure I would like that - is it true?

My other option would be the Niner RDO carbon post...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    'drew' - I'm looking at this Cannondale Save seatpost to take the edge off my rigid build. I've read that the seatpost actually allows the saddle to move when you get sharp hits. Not sure I would like that - is it true?

My other option would be the Niner RDO carbon post...
    It flexes front to back and it does take the edge off hits. I know some folks don't like this motion but I'm happy since there are many times I'm seated and that extra bit of flex is welcomed.

Your 3rd option would be the Syntace seat post...
    Syntace

Mulleticious
    It flexes front to back and it does take the edge off hits. I know some folks don't like this motion but I'm happy since there are many times I'm seated and that extra bit of flex is welcomed.

Your 3rd option would be the Syntace seat post...
    Syntace
    I didn't know about the Syntace - thanks. With the Cannondale, roughly how much does it flex - several mm? Would this be more than on the RDO or Syntace?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by BigwheelsRbest View Post
    I didn't know about the Syntace - thanks. With the Cannondale, roughly how much does it flex - several mm? Would this be more than on the RDO or Syntace?
    Sorry I can't give you a quantitative value of how much the post flexes but I know if I press down on the rear of the saddle there will be some post movement. Add in any flex you get from the saddle rails and the pressure of the rear tire, I think they all add to the comfort level of riding a hard tail. I haven't experienced the other seat posts and can't add anything to those. (I actually didn't think the Niner is designed to flex at all but I could be mistaken).

Mulleticious
    Sorry I can't give you a quantitative value of how much the post flexes but I know if I press down on the rear of the saddle there will be some post movement. Add in any flex you get from the saddle rails and the pressure of the rear tire, I think they all add to the comfort level of riding a hard tail. I haven't experienced the other seat posts and can't add anything to those. (I actually didn't think the Niner is designed to flex at all but I could be mistaken).
    This is what their website says about it:

"Ninerís RDO seatpost is designed to deflect more than other carbon posts, offering a small degree of suspension that makes a big difference by the end of your ride"

Looking at the prices though, the Cannondale is quite a bit cheaper than Niner and Syntace...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    The SAVE Seatpost is engineered to flex up to 20mm, or just under an inch. This amount of flex is just enough to discernibly dampen bumps and chatter, but not at the expense of pedaling efficiency and power transfer.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    I guess they changed the clamp for 2013 as I still have the one with the USE. Once I understood how the clamp system works and knocking the two caps off before doing any angle adjustments I haven't had any issues with the seat post clamp for Fizik or Selle Italia saddles.

I did track down the U.S. distributor for USE parts.
    Exposure Lights | VDO Cycle computers | U.S.E. | Modolo
    The USE clamp shown is the "old" head which is not compatible with 9mm carbon rails. The new/current heads are compatible with 9mm carbon saddle rails. Our 2014 SAVE Seatpost, available later this summer, features a color scheme that really brings out the carbon construction of the seatpost, especially when mounted with carbon-railed saddles.