mtbr member
    Mar 2017

Cannondale scalpel carbon 2 eagle with quarq xx1 boost powermeter

Hey guys

Someone having a quarq xx1 boost powermeter on the new scalpel 2017?
    Seems to work but only with a max of 32T chainring.
    Correct? Or is there a 34T also possible?

Thanks
    V

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    BB30 SRAM cranks are highly adaptable. The two best current options to get a Quarq on a bike with Ai offset rear end.
    1- Install the boost crankset with a 2.5mm shorter driveside spacer. Use a 2.5mm spacer and a wavy washer on the non-drive side. This will place your chainline where it was originally designed for the Ai offset rear end. You should be able to run the normal range of chainrings. This means your crankset is off centre in the frame towards the driveside 2.5mm.
    2- Install the non-boost crankset with an Ai spindle (buy as spare part from Cannondale). You have to knock the original spindle out by disassembling the bolt marked ‘do not disassemble’. Use the original driveside spacer and your chainline will be where it is intended for the Ai offset rear end. You can run the normal range of chainrings. The non-driveside will require a 5mm spacer and a wavy washer or just the threaded preload ring. Your crankset will be off centre in the frame towards the non-driveside 3mm. Your q-factor will be 16mm larger. This is the method Cannondale have used to fit the XX1 eagle crankset OEM to their Team bike.
    You could also install the non-boost crankset straight into the bike by using the normal driveside spacer and only a wavy washer on the non-driveside. You get to keep your normal q-factor but the crankset is offset 5mm to the driveside.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Thanks a lot!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie_yeti View Post
    BB30 SRAM cranks are highly adaptable. The two best current options to get a Quarq on a bike with Ai offset rear end.
    1- Install the boost crankset with a 2.5mm shorter driveside spacer. Use a 2.5mm spacer and a wavy washer on the non-drive side. This will place your chainline where it was originally designed for the Ai offset rear end. You should be able to run the normal range of chainrings. This means your crankset is off centre in the frame towards the driveside 2.5mm.
    2- Install the non-boost crankset with an Ai spindle (buy as spare part from Cannondale). You have to knock the original spindle out by disassembling the bolt marked ‘do not disassemble’. Use the original driveside spacer and your chainline will be where it is intended for the Ai offset rear end. You can run the normal range of chainrings. The non-driveside will require a 5mm spacer and a wavy washer or just the threaded preload ring. Your crankset will be off centre in the frame towards the non-driveside 3mm. Your q-factor will be 16mm larger. This is the method Cannondale have used to fit the XX1 eagle crankset OEM to their Team bike.
    You could also install the non-boost crankset straight into the bike by using the normal driveside spacer and only a wavy washer on the non-driveside. You get to keep your normal q-factor but the crankset is offset 5mm to the driveside.
    I believe the AI offset moves the crank 6mm to the driveside (right and out) vs a conventional setup. Looking at the 3 options you lay out above, am I correct in that your crank will be moved out from 2.5mm to 5mm, depending on which option you choose? In other words, 1mm to 3.5mm inboard of the "ideal" AI chainline? And if that is correct, why wouldn't you just use the 3rd option, which seems to be the easiest to implement (just play with spacers and wavy washers) and your chainline is only 1mm off "ideal?" What is the downside? Is it that you've shifted the entire crankset 5mm so that you no longer have a balanced stance over the bike?

I love my 2017 Scalpel SI Team w/ XX1 Eagle but the difficulty/inability get a PM to work with the AI offset is a real bummer.

mtbr member
    Mar 2017
    Installing a gxp crankset with adapters and run a stages? Isn't that an option

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    What is the difference in the Eagle crankset found on the Scalpel Team vs those that SRAM is selling online in the conventional or boost version, just the AI spindle? I was interested in putting a Quarq powermeter on my Scalpel but I'm not sure which method would work the best. I asked my LBS the other day and they were going to check with SRAM as they weren't really sure either.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Buy the standard powermeter (not boost).

Take the Ai spindle out of the Eagle crankset that came on your bike.

Install your powermeter with the spindle out of the Eagle crankset.

If you no longer need the stock crankset install the spindle that came with the powermeter and sell it as a crankset that fits a standard non boost/Ai frame. I'd keep it though if you ever want to sell the bike and keep the powermeter.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Is there something special about the non-driveside arm that comes with the quarq crankset?

Why bother with knocking the spindle loose, cant you just use the non-driveside arm and spindle form the crankset that comes with the bike together with the driveside from the quarq crankset?

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    You can do that too. Will work perfectly.

This guy will just have X01 decals on non-drive and XX1 decals on driveside then.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Hello...
    I just bought my scalpel carbon 2 eagle upgraded to xx1 eagle. For that I loose both cranks and put the cannondale special spindle.
    To keep chainline I have 3mm offset chainring.
    I noticed that now I have my crankset moved to the left 3mm.
    I would like to get:
    1- cranks perfectly centered with the frame
    2- quark PM
    Is there a way to get both conditions?

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Get non-boost XX1 eagle quarq. Install with cannondale Ai 137mm spindle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Quarq guys don't ensure you right power data with this option 😔😔...

From dc rainmaker site...
    Cannondale’s 2017 Scalpel has the Asymmetric Integration (AI) offset rear triangle and drivetrain, which pushes the chain line out by 6mm. Quarq does not have a power meter designed for AI. We offer XX1 Eagle power meters in standard and Boost 148 configurations. Boost 148 pushes the chain line out 3mm. The Boost 148 power meter is what riders typically use on Cannondale’s AI bikes. You should be aware, however, that it is not directly compatible and shifting performance can vary. We recommend you seek input from other riders who are doing this before buying one

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Well you can install them with the stock spindle by getting 5mm less spacers on each side of the bottom bracket shell. That will mean your chainline is too narrow (6mm with standard, 3mm with boost). With small chainrings you'll probably be alright, but severe angle to smaller cogs on cassette. Bigger chainrings will probably hit the chainstays.

The only way around the chainline issue is to install a longer spindle, or have the crankset installed offset to one side in the frame.

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Well you can install them with the stock spindle by getting 5mm less spacers on each side of the bottom bracket shell. That will mean your chainline is too narrow (6mm with standard, 3mm with boost). With small chainrings you'll probably be alright, but severe angle to smaller cogs on cassette. Bigger chainrings will probably hit the chainstays.

The only way around the chainline issue is to install a longer spindle, or have the crankset installed offset to one side in the frame.
    Sure... definitely I'm using the cannondale,s specific spindle. At this point I suppose that Quarq is not an option because they don't give me any warranty of precission.

Any other suggestions for putting a powermeter on scalpel?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Sorry... but another doubt...
    When you wrote "This is the method Cannondale have used to fit the XX1 eagle crankset OEM to their Team bike." Are you saying that cannondale are selling a very expensive bike with crankset not centered with the frame??
    😓😓😓
    It will help to put a 3mm spacer on the non drive side and chainring with 6mm offset?

mtbr member
    Jul 2017
    Stages suggest to put an stages-SLK left crank with a stages E-spindle to have a powermeter on scalpel 2017. I will investigate deeper on this solution

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The SRAM crankset that comes stock has an 'Ai' spindle anodised black. They have a custom spacer arrangement though so I'd assume the crankset is centred.

mtbr member
    Jun 2017
    Stages E-spindle + Stages BB30 carbon works fine. Had to change driveside spacer (16mm) to a 13 mm spacer, and change chainring (6mm offset) to chainring with 3mm offset.