mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Cannondale Scalpel 29er Aluminium vs Carbon

Hi,
    I am wondering about buying Scalpel 3 29er 2012 alloy version.
    This will be my first cannondale alloy bike - 29er for test:-)

My question is about weight between scalpel 29er alloy and carbon? how much is heavier?
    and what is the difference in real riding in alu version?

Thank you for help.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Although there doesn't seem to be much 3rd party info on the Scalpel 29er Alloy, I have read (somewhere) that weight is approaching 30lbs, Carbon 2 is around 24-25lbs, Carbon 1 is 22-23ish...

I read this review.

I am also interested in anyone's opinions or experience with this bike. It (or the Carbon 2) have been on my wish list as machine #2 for a while now.
    Last edited by george_liquor; 12-13-2012 at 05:49 AM.

mtbr member
    From my experience the weights mentioned are pretty accurate. On the carbon bikes, the rear suspension uses a single pivot design and the carbon of the seat stays is designed to flex in place of the mechanical pivot of the aluminum version. I own the carbon 2 and it climbs extremely well even with the suspension fully open. I bought this bike knowing it was a race bike and hoping it had some trail bike characteristics as well, I couldn't be happier. It performs well above expectations. I would recommend the carbon version over the aluminum, the suspension was really designed with the flexing seat stays in mind. However I can't say the aluminum felt bad either.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I m interested on the alloy 3 too.
    My LBS weighted a medium scalpel 3 for me and it was about 27 lb not too bad considering those heavy wheels sunringle inferno,
    By the way I have a question about the scalpel alloy 3 2013 can I eventually change the stem with something shorter since the stering tube is a 1.5
    Thomson is about to come out with a x4 stem specific for lefty and I was wondering if there are any problems with the cannondale c1 headshock.
    thanks

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have been riding the alloy 3 for about a month now and I love it. I have also ridden the the carbon and liked it as well. I would describe my riding style as a " bull in a china shop" and I was concerned about the longevity of the frame. I will never race competitively and figured the extra weight will not hold me back to much. The bike rolls over everything, climbs like a champ and is real stable in the tight single track. My last bike was a cannondale prophet and I feel like a much better rider on the scalpel? I highly recommend it!