mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Cannondale... for sale?

Picked up from Competitive Cyclist's Interbike wrap up...

SRAM/Zipp, aside, though, thatís not even the juiciest piece of gossip. Rather, what blew us away was the chatter of Pacific Cycle buying Cannondale. Perhaps you've never even heard of Pacific. They own Schwinn, GT, and Mongoose. Rumor is that they're buying Cannondale, shutting down the US factory and turning it into a warehouse, and shifting the production of America's best big bike manufacturing company to Asia. It gives Pacific a high-end performance offering in their portfolio of generally dumbed-down (albeit highly recognized & profitable) brands. Sounds like a smart strategic move to us, though it's sad to see America's final sizeable maker of bikes go offshore.
    it's shocking news if there's any substance to it!

I am guessing the Pegasus people would be sniffing around to sell it to someone after their post-bankruptcy turnaround.. Surely they would realise such a move would be a massive blow to the "soul" of the company and its products.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    I bet you can guess where that rumor started....hint hint....the companies names start with an S (yes there are two sources).

Witty Title.
    I'll just throw this out there: I buy American-made Cannondales. If such a change were to go down, I'd never buy one again. End of story. There are plenty of quality Asian-made bikes. I'm not interested in buying them. Maybe we'll luck out and LeBron will buy it and keep it safe. Bring new meaning to "bike bling."
    --

~bc

member, nemba.org

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Meh, if they get sold, I'll buy used ones, or get a custom build with the 1.5 head tube. I won't by an imported one though.

mtbr member
    that could still just be a rumor. 08 is looking pretty good. but, you never know. but, if that happens i will never buy another cannondale.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    [QUOTE=nordeaster]I'll just throw this out there: I buy American-made Cannondales. If such a change were to go down, I'd never buy one again. End of story."

- What??? Like their "quality" frame pivot bearings that are made in China??? Or better still... Like their "superior" Asian made Coda hubs that they didn't tell anyone about? Who knows what is made overseas in the Leftys - Maybe Canondale isn't doing this anymore (my bet is that they still are since they now have Chinese frames too), but all it took was my last bike (out of three loyal purchases) and I'M done with them period.

That's a pretty harsh thrashing and PLEASE, don't take offense - I'm a PA native and took pride in C'dale BUT - They dug their own hole. I think their endevor into motorcycles is just a fortunate cop-out for the position they're currently in, in bicycling.

My next bike is going to be from Intense or Foes.

mtbr member
    well, i just hate pacific..

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by broomhandle
    well, i just hate pacific..
    Why?
    Schwinn and GT were circling the bowl when Pacific saved them from disappearing altogether. It would be nice to see someone do something with Cannondale while there's still some value left.

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    Ahhhh... I don't know for sure... But I think he meant Pacific (West) Coast - IE Foes & Intense (maybe I'm wrong though).

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    They were "circling the bowl" 'cause they had no good product. Rather than "harvest the brand equity" of C'dale, by offshoring the production, wouldn't it be nice to see them invest in good and unique product and celebrate the differentiation that a domestic factory offers? Having a special product is the other way to make more $.

I guess my point is: if Schwinn and GT had disappeared....who cares? If they eviscerate Cannondale, then we've lost something unique.
    Last edited by steadite; 10-09-2007 at 03:58 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rw420
    Why?
    Schwinn and GT were circling the bowl when Pacific saved them from disappearing altogether. It would be nice to see someone do something with Cannondale while there's still some value left.
    They should have let both those brands die with there good names still intact. All the brands that Pacific buys suddenly turns into something that is untouchable by any decent LBS that plans on staying open for any amount of time. Pacific is BAD news and if they buy C'dale, my LBS isn't going to be the only one that drops them!

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Is Cannondale even shipping any F1, F2 or F3 domestically produced frameset bikes yet?

All I have seen so far are the framesets welded overseas. Seems like there is a huge gap between the 07 and 08 production. None of the bike shops I have contacted have any Cannondale 26" hardtails in stock other than the low end F7-F5.

I have been waiting 2 months for an F2. I'm about to give up and look elsewhere if they cannot deliver soon. I cannot wait much longer as I am approaching a hard deadline for a race.

discombobulated SuperModerator
    Jun 2005
    Ive seen a couple F2's around here, mostly because they were that cool berzerk yelow...
    I like that bike so much....

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by CdaleTony
    Ive seen a couple F2's around here, mostly because they were that cool berzerk yelow...
    I like that bike so much....

Ahhh...but those were 2007's. The problem I'm running into is that none of the shops I have been checking with have any hardtail inventory. They are waiting on shipments from Cannondale. All that has been shipped so far are the low end offshore hardtails.

n3rd
    Quote Originally Posted by apacherider
    Ahhh...but those were 2007's. The problem I'm running into is that none of the shops I have been checking with have any hardtail inventory. They are waiting on shipments from Cannondale. All that has been shipped so far are the low end offshore hardtails.
    I've got an F2 29er on order that I am told by the shop shipped today and will be here Friday..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    God save C-dale!
    Last edited by schuster_md; 10-10-2007 at 10:46 AM.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    As I know, Rush carbon front triangles and Taurines have always been made in Asia (I have a carbon Rush and definitely would buy it again), so I don't think that the point is "where are the frames from" but if the philosophy of the company is gonna be preserved, hope it will...

Last edited by schuster_md; 10-10-2007 at 10:57 AM.

oof
    Jul 2006
    Pacific is the enemy of high end bike manufacturing and their is no way in hell that they will keep cannondale looking the same if they buy it. Asia/america is not the issue; company philosophy is
    stay calm