Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Cannondale Rush5 07 or Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 07

5K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  BIGTEXASPETE 
#1 ·

Anyone help me out on any big pro’s or con’s against these two bikes?

I’m going to be riding heavy rocky downhill singletrack trails, jumps and drop off’s but I’ll want to ride comfortably up hill as well..

Cheers.

Pete

#2 ·
BIGTEXASPETE said:

Anyone help me out on any big pro's or con's against these two bikes?

I'm going to be riding heavy rocky downhill singletrack trails, jumps and drop off's but I'll want to ride comfortably up hill as well..

Cheers.

Pete
good question, I think someone else posted this before so you could probably do a search and find it. Being a huge cannondale fan after a demo ride I bought the Rush. The BB height is low to the ground and really gives you control of your bike when you are riding fast. Riding at slower speeds I never felt a difference in bikes, which there could be but I never felt anything. The Rush also climbs very nice. People have complains about losing traction but it is just a matter or adjusting yourself to the tires.

#3 ·
Test-rode them both a couple of weeks ago (SJ FSR Comp/Rush w/Lefty)

The ride/feel itself is similar. Rush maybe a little more plush (probably also depends on the specs/model). BB on the Rush is lower. The SJ seemed to climb a little better. But this is ME. Anyway, if I had to choose on a budget, I'd probably take the SJ because a similar spec'd Rush over here in Europe is at least 1/3 more expensive. If price wouldn't matter, it probably would be the Rush (Lefty, single pivot).

I think you can't go wrong with either bikes.

#4 ·
I can't comment on the new Stumpjumpers but I had a FSR back in '01 and have a Rush now so here're my comments and hope it helps.

Climbs: FSR bobs a good amount unless you remain seated, very good traction but you pay the price if you stand as it will bob like crazy. Rush climbs great, good traction but have to move your weight back and fort a little bit so it remains hooked up, I never use the propedal lever in the shock as I can't feel any bob going up.

Flats: Rush wins here, the bike simply pedals better with very little pedal bob, almost never use Propedal.

Going down: for me it's a trade off; FSR feels better, specially in fast downhills as the rear brake doesn't affect the rear suspension. Rush has a lower BB height, feels ok going down.

In the end both bikes are good, it depends on what do you plan to do with it. In my case, I ride in mixed conditions and I think the Rush is a better overall bike (for where I ride) but if I was more into going down I'd choose the FSR.

#5 ·
Both bikes are the same price, well the rush is actually £50 cheaper.

Here are the specs.

Can you lock out the suspension on the rush front and back?

On the SJ there is some kind of clever different settings on the rear shock which some people have said are good.. But a couple of people have said they don't like the triad and that's the rear shock so I'm lost there..

How much lower is the BB I've just done a quick Photoshop and couldn't see much in it.. I'd hate it to be low enough to keep clipping the floor..

I'm really going to be pushing the bike and myself hard on fast technical downhill but this will be over the period of a day's ride I'm not going to be getting a lift or driving to the top of these descents. So the bike still need to climb and cross country well but I really want to feel the biggest gains down hill.. (Not pushing as in walking LOL :))

Cannondale Rush 5 2007

• Frame: Rush 110mm
• Forks: Lefty Speed 110 DLR2
• Gears: Shimano LX front and SRAM X-9 rear derailleurs
• Shifters: SRAM X-7 Trigger
• Chainset: FSA Alpha Drive with 22/34/44 tooth rings
• Brakes: Avid Juicy 3 with 160mm rotors
• Wheels: Mavic XM117 Disc 32 hole rims built on Cannondale Lefty front and Shimano M475 rear hubs
• Tyres: Hutchinson Spider 26x2.0 inch
• Handlebars: Cannondale Fire 20mm riser
• Stem: Cannondale XC3 Headshok
• Saddle: Cannondale XC
• Seatpost: FSA Sp-FR-270
• Pedals/Extras: Wellgo Clipless pedals

Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Comp 2007

• Frame: FSR M5 manipulated alloy frame with 120mm of travel and Transform monocoque top tube with sealed cartridge bearing pivots and rear shock mounts.
• Fork: Fox Float 120 RL
• Gears: Shimano M581 LX dual pull front and SRAM X9 long cage rear derailleurs
• Shifters: SRAM X-7 Aluminium trigger shifters
• Chainset: Truvativ Stylo 2 piece crank
• Brakes: Avid Juicy 5 hydraulic disc with G2 Clean Sweep
• Wheels: DT custom for Specialized X430 rims built on Specialized Stout disc front and Shimano M-525 rear hubs
• Tyres: Specialized Resolution Pro 26x2.1 dual compound tyres
• Handlebars: Specialized XC low rise bars
• Stem: Specialized adjustable rise forged stem
• Saddle: Specialized BG Rival seat with hollow Cro-Mo rails
• Seatpost: 2014 butted alloy post
• Pedals/Extras: Shimano M-520 SPD pedals

#9 ·
BIGTEXASPETE said:
hmm cheers woodsguy,

does anyone on here ride the Cannondale Rush 5 07?
I do, great bike. You can lockout front fork, rear shock only has 2 propedal settings (open & closed, which still takes some bumps), never noticed any pedal bob even with open shock. Lefty feels great imo, much better than a "regular" fork. BB isn't low, at least for the type of riding I do (XC with technical sections in between), but the bike really isn't meant for bombing rock gardens.

+'s for Rush:

Lefty
Lifetime warranty on the frame
Great geometry
climbs like a goat (I've actually started to like climbs more than descents cause of this bike :) )

-'s:

none so far :)

#10 ·
Hello all,

I went down to the bike shop at the weekend, and after chatting to the guy he said the riding I’m looking at doing I should be looking at the Prophet rather than the Rush.. But he said the Stumpy would be up to the job... So those who said it you were right

So now I’m just playing the waiting game. He needs to get hold of some (well he’s getting back to me with what he can get hold of) so I can get a look at them… he was saying it’s going to be hard to get hold of the 2007 models so I need to wait and see what he says about that. But he showed me the 2008 Prophet in a brochure and it looks really good..

My only concern is there is no lock out option just soft or firm.. How does the bike cope with riding uphill? Does the bike bob up and down all the time?

Cheers

Pete

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.