mtbr member
    Jul 2004

Cannondale Rize and Saris Bones 3 rack

I have bought a Saris Bones rack for my Opel Antara, the only one I can use in combination with the hatch huggers. The only problem, with the design of the frame I cannot put my Rize on the rack.

I wondered if anybody knows if the Saris Bike Beam, Yakimy Tubetop or Thule bike frame adapter works. When looking at them I am not sure if I have enough room on my stem to install them.

I know a hitch mounted rack is better, but I have a company car and with the milage I do I change my car every 2-3 years and a tow bar is an expensive option. Used the clipon High till now, but that does not fit my Antara.

Grtz,

Marc

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Any of these should work fine, plus be less direct wear-and-tear on the frame. I have most experience with the Yakima Tubetop, but as long as it fits and stays in place, you should be fine. You've named the big three of bike rack companies, so all should be solid.

If I had my druthers, I'd pick the hitch mount myself, particularly the ones that mimic a roof rack tray, but being a company car, you're kind of stuck (unless you have money to burn).

mtbr member
    I use a Saris Bones rack with the Saris Bike Beam for my Scalpel.
    Works just fine
    Should be no problem with the Rize.
    Cannondale: Team Scalpel, Flash Ultimate, Hooligan 9
    Lynskey Pro26 with custom Lefty head tube
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    I have had problems with this rack and now refuse to use it. Make sure you watch out where you put the bike on it. While I was driving, on multiple occasions, the pro pedal knob was knocked off my Rush by the bones rack. Its not expensive to replace it once, but it adds up every time you loose one.

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    I use a Saris Bones rack with the Saris Bike Beam for my Scalpel.
    Works just fine
    Should be no problem with the Rize.
    I just came back from the store and apparantly it would not work as there is not enough room between the frame and stem. What year is your Scalpel from. Any chance of posting a picture?

thx.

Marc

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mcoen
    I just came back from the store and apparantly it would not work as there is not enough room between the frame and stem. What year is your Scalpel from. Any chance of posting a picture?

thx.

Marc
    Sure no problem. I don't know what stem you use but it should fit fine.
    I have a Team Scalpel 09 and I use the Saris Bike Beam all the time so i don't know why your LBS said it doesn't fit unless I'm missing something.
    Will post some pic's tomorrow morning for u.
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by XgreygOOse
    Sure no problem. I don't know what stem you use but it should fit fine.
    I have a Team Scalpel 09 and I use the Saris Bike Beam all the time so i don't know why your LBS said it doesn't fit unless I'm missing something.
    Will post some pic's tomorrow morning for u.
    that should look the same. Looking forward to the pic.
    thx

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I use a Yakima Tubetop bar and it works fine for me. You just have to be careful and not pull it too far apart otherwise it looses rigidity.

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    i use my bones 3 w/ my rize with little problems. not the easiest to put on, but it's not that bad. I've got a large frame, maybe that helps? I put the one side through the small opening above the rear shock and loop the strap around the seat tube only by bending it behind the linkage. no problems so far.

mtbr member

Like I said, fits fine . I don't use the "Anti Sway belt". Too hard to fit around the seat-post, Instead I just tie each end with the nylon rope to my wheels so they don't rotate and stops the bike from swaying around.
    Santa Cruz Nomad carbon

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    [QUOTE=XgreygOOse

Like I said, fits fine . I don't use the "Anti Sway belt". Too hard to fit around the seat-post, Instead I just tie each end with the nylon rope to my wheels so they don't rotate and stops the bike from swaying around.[/QUOTE]

Great. Thanks a lot for the pictures. I will be getting one myself

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by crazylax42
    i use my bones 3 w/ my rize with little problems. not the easiest to put on, but it's not that bad. I've got a large frame, maybe that helps? I put the one side through the small opening above the rear shock and loop the strap around the seat tube only by bending it behind the linkage. no problems so far.
    I tried that, but mine is a medium. it does not fit the opening is to small