mtbr member
    Apr 2007

Cannondale Rize Rear Travel Issues

For all you Rize owners out there, I'm having issues with the rear suspension on mine.

1. I'm 200lbs and can't reach full travel on the rear shock unless I run like 60psi in it that results in a 60% sag.

2. I released all the air from the rear shock to check the travel range and when the bike has reached full travel i notice that the knobs on the rear tire hit the front derailleur cable stop mount on the seat tube?

Anyone experiencing similar?

mtbr member
    If the tire is hitting the back of the seat tube, I'd say you are EXCEEDING full travel!

When you say you can't "reach full travel", you do know that "full travel" means the shock is taking a MASSIVE hit? Most shocks work at between 75-85% of their travel on an 'agressive ride' (large drops, short sharp hits etc).

Just what are you trying to do to get it to full compression?

(and what make/model shock are you running on it?)

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Surely the suspension system should limit the rear wheel travel at full compression so it does not hit the derailleur cable stop on the seat post? It is not that the tire hits the seatpost, but the knobs on the tyre hit the fd cable stop - im assuming its bad design.

It is a Fox RP23 which I also have on my SC Heckler so am very familiar with them.

On my other bikes I would use full travel atleast once every ride which is normal.

I have tried everything even dropping 2-3ft landing rear wheel first to no-transition landing with the shock fully open. The 'O'-ring on the shock sanction never gets further than 1cm from its maximum stroke length.

I can just only assume that the 'ramp-up' on the rear travel on this rize is so strong that you would never actually use the full 130mm travel and you may aswell have a 100mm bike that you can use all the travel on? Unless you want to run 60% sag....

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I don't have that problem on mine. I get all but about 2-3mm of the shock travel. Is there a bunch of oil in the air chamber for the shock?

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    yes same, I get all but about 2-3mm of shock travel if I remove all the air and compress it. Do you ever bottom out the shock whilst riding?

if you remove all the air from your shock and compress it through its travel does your rear tire hit the front derailleur cable stop? What tires are you running?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I'm putting on some 2.35 Ignitors tonight. I've been running the stock tires that came on my 2, and I also had some 1.95 Ignitors for a bit. I've never let all the air out, don't plan on it either. I know I've never felt the shock bottom, and all 5 of my buddies that have a Rize all end up with their travel stopping at that same point.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm running Nobby Nics that came standard.

Are you running the rize with the lefty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    yeah, lefty RLC. Another thing I thought of, 2-3ft to flat isn't much. I bet if you went 6ft to flat like they were doing when testing this bike you would find the bottom of the travel. A couple of mm doesn't bother me when the suspension feels bottomless like it does. My bike came standard with some Maxxis tires, the name escapes me at the moment.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Seems like we all are strugling a bit with the correct setup of the Rize. I have Rize 4 EU (with fox float rl fork). I guess I had put too much air in the shock and fork, as it didnt felt right, it was too nervous on the track, didn't feel plush. Now I have put 10% less presure in the shock and fork and hope it'll be better. Has anyone the setup for the shock and fork instructions? When I bought Rush they were beside the manual, it was froma cannondale (not fox) two tables, one for lefty and the other for the shock, differen weight and the correct presure. I foun that setting (ok, 5 ps less) to be ok for the Rush.
    Another thing that I don't like are stock tires (nobby nics). I was thinking of Maxxis Minion 2,35? Jay04cobra let us know how the ignitors are? I am not looking for fast tire (nobby nick are very fast), but am looking for tire that has a lot of grip on rocks stc. Another thinsg, I get flat allmost every time I go out on Nobby nick's, this rearly happened on my Rush with ignitor or larsen tt.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Sorry for type errors, was on work for 13 hours today... It'll be better tomorow..

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Well my rize 2 is now wearing the PBR all air lefty, I'm stoked to get it dialed in on my own with nothing more than a pump.
    Problem is right when we got the bike back together I suffered a ruptured bicep tendon so the bike has been like a piece of eclectic furniture in my house.
    Hopefully I'll have some numbers for you guys soon, I'm used to using all but about 15mm of the travel on my swinger 3 way equipped prophet.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Ok having big issues with this rize. I was running too high pressure and finally fond a good setup that allows rull travel.

Anyway, Took it for a spin earlier and just manualling off a few kerbs and the rear wheel has actually come up and hit the seat tube and left a big black tire mark.

Can one of you rize owners do a test to verify if mine is faulty. Release the air from your rear shock, compress the rear to full travel and see if the rear tyre makes contact with the seat tube?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay04cobra
    yeah, lefty RLC. Another thing I thought of, 2-3ft to flat isn't much. I bet if you went 6ft to flat like they were doing when testing this bike you would find the bottom of the travel. A couple of mm doesn't bother me when the suspension feels bottomless like it does. My bike came standard with some Maxxis tires, the name escapes me at the moment.
    Maxxis Rendez?

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by beavola
    Maxxis Rendez?
    yup, that's it. I've got the 2.35 Maxxis Ignitors mounted up tonight, there is alot of extra room left with these tires.