mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Cannondale Rebuild

I need some help from all of the techies out there....

I have a 1997 Cannondale F900 which I am looking to rebuild over the coming months. Right now, the bike is 100% stock (less the tires), including the original 60mm Headshock.

My questions.....
    1) I know Cannondale has a wider headtube than most manufacturers, but is it possible to add a standard fork to this bike? (I assume there is some type of converter or reducer available) I'm not looking to add too much travel as I believe it will throw off the geometry of the bike...maybe 80-100mm max.

2) Aside from the headtube, does this bike have any "non-standard" sized tubes or fittings, or can I go with components that are available on the market today?

I'm not looking to spend a great deal of money on this rebuild....just something to do over the upcoming winter months.

Thanks in advance!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Several companies make 'em.
    Look here and search for reducers

http://www.bikeman.com/
    93 M900 Hardtail
    96 Super V 700 Carbon
    98 Super V 400 SL

Cannondale Snob
    The Fatty and Lefty are the best forks out there, why not go with a 80mm Fatty Ultra DLR or 110mm Lefty DLR? You can often find them on E-Bay for reasonable prices.
    '06 Cannondale Rush 1000 4" travel 27lbs
    '04 Cannondale F600 SOBE -STOLEN!
    '96 Cannondale Uber-V 6" travel 30lbs

mtbr member
    I've got an 80mm Fatty M (coil sprung) that i'll get rid of for cheap. its bright green though...

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Thanks!

Thanks for all of your help guys. I knew this is the place I could turn to.

Unfortunately, the 1997 F900 is a bright orange color, so the green fork may not look that hot. I did check out eBay and I found quite a few headshocks....maybe I'll give that some more thought. Actually, there is nothing wrong my my 60mm headshock, other than the fact that it's 60mm and 10 years old, but I just wanted something with a little more travel.

Thanks again.

mtbr member
    Look at the "post pics of your Uber Vee" segment. Ihave a 1999 Super Vee 900 and found some interesting mods there. I have an extra set of adapters to reduce the 1.5" headtube diameter to 1 1/8". I paid $50 for them. I am in the process of swapping my headshock to conventional fork for the extra travel. The LBS was very hesitant to talk about changing the fork, but when they saw I eas serious, opened up a bit. The longer fork length raises the front of the bike and "slows" the steering response due to the different rake angle....but consensus seems to be that is a good thing. I am also planning to re-drill the frame mounting point for the rear shock and put on a 6" eye-to-eye shock instead of the original 5 1/4" shock. I agree with my LBS that the new frame geometry is superior to the 8 year old frame, but budgetary constraints limit me to modding my present bike and waiting a while longer before I upgrade. I am currently searching for a decent used fork....a little fearful of getting burned on ebay so looking locally first. Good luck to you!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    The Cane Creek Double XC shorty reducing headset is very nice if you're wanting to run a standard 1 1/8" fork.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by heartfixer
    Look at the "post pics of your Uber Vee" segment. Ihave a 1999 Super Vee 900 and found some interesting mods there. I have an extra set of adapters to reduce the 1.5" headtube diameter to 1 1/8". I paid $50 for them. I am in the process of swapping my headshock to conventional fork for the extra travel. The LBS was very hesitant to talk about changing the fork, but when they saw I eas serious, opened up a bit. The longer fork length raises the front of the bike and "slows" the steering response due to the different rake angle....but consensus seems to be that is a good thing. I am also planning to re-drill the frame mounting point for the rear shock and put on a 6" eye-to-eye shock instead of the original 5 1/4" shock. I agree with my LBS that the new frame geometry is superior to the 8 year old frame, but budgetary constraints limit me to modding my present bike and waiting a while longer before I upgrade. I am currently searching for a decent used fork....a little fearful of getting burned on ebay so looking locally first. Good luck to you!
    You don't need to drill the tabs on the 1999 Super V frame. Just get a jekyll swingarm and 7.5x2 shock. 150mm travel

Mine is the bright green one in that thread. Its also a 99.