mtbr member
    Feb 2007

The Cannondale Raven Thread

Is there one?
    I remember lusting after the first gen Raven, how it was so sick. I was a big fan of the Super V, and the Raven just took the concept even further.
    Never had a chance to own one, as they were out of a starving student's reach.
    But now there might be one up for sale, a first gen with the cool blue finish and a Headshok, for $300. Is that a good deal? What do you guys think?
    Yes, I know. Very, very old technology.Everything seems to work, but I think the fork does need servicing, and with V-brakes, I'm not really counting on it working as well as a new bike. But it sure feels nice and light, in a way that a Super V never felt. So what do you gus think, is it worth it?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Hello? Anybody home?

Ridin' dirty!
    Save yourself the hassle and get something else.
    First gen uses a special shock in the rear, so replacement options are almost zip and 2nd gen had recall(s) that cannondale "fixed" with a band-aid like procedure....
    http://cdn.cannondale.com/Manuals/20..._recall_en.pdf
    Get a regular Super V...much safer...
    "Common sense isn't always that common!"
    Custom Prophet and Custom Delta V

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Thanks for the reply. I guess an Uber V may be a better choice...

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

From A Raven owner.

I have had both the original Raven and currently have the new version. They are great bikes. Anything will break if you abuse it. And you can buy aftermarket shocks for these bikes. Take advice from someone who has actually owned these bikes and not some hater, they are great! Go for it!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by nosajdr View Post
    I have had both the original Raven and currently have the new version. They are great bikes. Anything will break if you abuse it. And you can buy aftermarket shocks for these bikes. Take advice from someone who has actually owned these bikes and not some hater, they are great! Go for it!
    The Recalls are out there for a reason and fact is they are more prone to fail than the Super V.
    I've seen plenty of broken cannondale carbon frames/parts in the early days since i worked in a cdale shop back then.
    The Raven(s) and the Super V's with the HCV440 swing arm had a bunch of issues.
    On top of that I said the rear shock for the first gen is not available anymore.
    You probably only posted this because you're trying to get rid of your Raven.....

mtbr member
    Jul 2011

Chinadale and his superior knowledge of the Raven....

Sorry contradict your vast and superior knowledge of the Raven particularly pertaining to the imposable to find or nonexistent first gen rear shock Chinadale but Risse Racing makes three first gen models. I bought one but donít take my word for it check out Risse Racing yourself. Please feel free to enlighten us more, it is good for a laugh. I am sure there are guys out there that have broken the same frame model you ride as well. And about me wanting to get rid of my Raven, actually I am looking for another Raven but nice theory!

Ridin' dirty!
    Quote Originally Posted by nosajdr View Post
    Sorry contradict your vast and superior knowledge of the Raven particularly pertaining to the imposable to find or nonexistent first gen rear shock Chinadale but Risse Racing makes three first gen models. I bought one but donít take my word for it check out Risse Racing yourself. Please feel free to enlighten us more, it is good for a laugh. I am sure there are guys out there that have broken the same frame model you ride as well. And about me wanting to get rid of my Raven, actually I am looking for another Raven but nice theory!
    Yeah, so somebody on a budget buys an old raven and needs a new shock that'll cost almost as much as he paid for the bike.
    On top of that you should really check your attitude as I wasn't referring to aftermarket shocks like WP, Risse, CC and others!
    Maybe you can provide us with a vendor that sells a new Fox shock that came on the Raven for the the same price as a regular 6.5" goes for maybe?
    There is no way you can upgrade the first gen with an up to date shock like a pro pedal etc. which on the other hand is possible for the 2nd gen raven.
    And on the other hand I don't think it's a laughing manner if someone buys a recalled raven frame that has never had my so-called "Band-Aid" fix done to re-enforce the bb area and then just snaps in half while riding!
    A lot of folks out there use this forum to inform themselves, so maybe you should remove your pink glasses referring to this subject to ensure that folks are educated and made aware of potential dangerous frame failures.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I know this is an old thread but are the 98' and 99' model Ravens any good? There's a Raven Super V3000 for sale in my area that I'm interested in.

All Lefty's, all the time Moderator
    What the 'maniac refers to is correct. They were problematic.

That being said, if you can get one cheaply, and don't mind riding what could be a time bomb for your wallet, go for it. The parts kit will swap to many different bikes, so look at it from that perspective. Nice old XTR is still nice old XTR if it's on a frame that's gonna fail...

Can't recall (sorry, bad pun) the years for the first gen, but I think that's a 2nd. If the front tab on the shock is split, 1st gen. No split, 2nd.

Also worth noting, the 2nd gen frames used the "new" geometry, with longer TT's. First gen's are all short and weird feeling for their size, like Super V's. Hence, I'm a large in a "modern" Cannondale, but would run an XL in a Super V or 1st gen Raven, but a L in a 2nd gen Raven.

Also, shameless plug, there's a Raven at my shop in need of a home. parts are beat, not rideable as it sits, but the frame is in nice shape.

Want a time bomb, drop me a line, it's here on consignment, so I make nothing to speak of on it's sale....
    This is a Pugs not some carbon wannabee pretzel wagon!!

- FrostyStruthers

www.mendoncyclesmith.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Thanks for the response. I'm still researching these full suspension bikes. Just looking for a good deal on a great older bike. The Raven here is selling for $650. I think I'm gonna pass. I have read that there are concerns about that frame. Still wouldn't mind picking up a regular Super V. What are some other choices that you all might recommend for a really good older full suspension bike? I keep seeing bikes that were once 2-3k selling for $800 or less. Tough to decide but I'm a research freak - that's helps to avoid making a big mistake. Looking forward to you guys opinions. God bless!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Raven 2 broke

Hi, I have been a proud owner of a Raven 2 with Lefty since 1999. I love the bike and it has served me well since yesterday.
    I was riding through the woods and on a descent heard a funny noise. Will waiting for my friends to catch up I glanced at the bike, saw nothing strange.
    When my friends caught up and I got back on the bike there was a loud crack and the big tube completely broke off the bottom bracket. This frame I fear is total loss.
    I need to contact Cannondale, the bike had the recall fix and I am wondering if there is any warranty. Some manufs give lifetime warranty on frames.

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Hello. I have a brand new never had components on it frame only. I sold composite manufacturing equipment years ago and they gave me a frame to display at trade show. What I do not know is if it's a 1 or 2. It has yellow forks not blue. I just pulled it out looking to build it up for my son. I took it to a bike store and they thought $1000-1200 in parts to put it together with average gear. Not hi end gear. The guy also suggested looking for a broken frame and scavenging the parts. Lastly I could sell the thing but I have no idea what the frame is worth.

Again it's show room new never had components on it. Any thoughts,suggestions or questions?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

1998 and 1999 Super V Ravens at the trails in Miami

13 and 14 year old bikes on the trails in Miami.
    Attached Files Attached Files