mtbr member
    Aug 2007

Cannondale Prophet 5 - Shipping to Australia

Hi Guys,
    This is an interesting one . A mate of mine lost my good old Super V400 (2001). To make a short story long, the bike fall of a rack on the freeway between Melbourne and Sydney (Australia) . Anyway, I took the opportunity to checkout the new range and I think Prophet 5 will suite my riding style (and budget). The only problem is that Australian importers are making a packet over the Cannondales so I organize someone to get me one from a shop in NY. Now I only left with the shipping and size.
    1. My height is just over 510 (do I need large of medium?)
    2. Any ideas how to ship it in a cost effective manner? I thought it might fit in 2-3 US postal boxes?

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Like catnip for people
    I thought about doing this.

Just remember you'll lose your warranty as the bike can only be warrantied on the same continent...

But with the money you'll save I guess you could buy two prophets.

From memory I think you'll most likely be paying quite a lot of money on shipping... I was told it could range anywhere from $300 USD to $500 USD (Check out EBay to get an idea on shipping costs)

I'm 5'11 and ride a medium... It's comfortable, but with afterthought I probably should have gone with a large...

100% recycled
    Quote Originally Posted by radikaly
    Hi Guys,
    This is an interesting one . A mate of mine lost my good old Super V400 (2001). To make a short story long, the bike fall of a rack on the freeway between Melbourne and Sydney (Australia) . Anyway, I took the opportunity to checkout the new range and I think Prophet 5 will suite my riding style (and budget). The only problem is that Australian importers are making a packet over the Cannondales so I organize someone to get me one from a shop in NY. Now I only left with the shipping and size.
    1. My height is just over 510 (do I need large of medium?)
    2. Any ideas how to ship it in a cost effective manner? I thought it might fit in 2-3 US postal boxes?

Any ideas?
    Thanks.
    Sizing: I have a problem with doing this, but you may not: test ride at the cannondale dealer closest to you.

Warranty: Cannondales warranty is ridiculous. If you are living in a country and move to another, the warranty will not be valid. I emailed their customer service about this very matter 4 days ago, and have yet to receive a reply. If the frame does fail, at worst, you are looking at ~$100 to ship it back to be replaced. Just make sure you buy it from an authorised dealer, and you get a printed receipt.

Option 1:
    Get someone to bring it back from the States via plane. Via Qantas, you can bring back two wholes bikes (but no other checked pieces) if you want. For legal reasons, you should declare the bike when you come through customs, and pay the gst and customs duties (I dont know how they can prove you didnt take the bike with you ).

Option 2:
    Pay for the shop to ship it to you. Cost varies from $150 to $500 for a complete bike, $100-$150 for wheels, frames and forks. It pretty much depends on the shop as to the rates.

Option 3:
    I would buy the frameset from the US (shipping= $100-150). Buy the components from the US and Europe (you will get a better kit for less), the wheels from certain stores that have cheap wheel shipping rates (www.starbike.com is best, also www.cambriabike.com), and either pay a mechanic $150AUD to put it together, or buy $50 worth of tools and do it yourself- you can additionally save $100USD by lacing your own wheels.
    For build kits:
    www.cambriabike.com
    www.pricepoint.com
    www.jensonusa.com
    www.universalcycles.com
    For the cheapest shimano mtb (and good wheelsets) in the world:
    www.starbike.com

If you give me a budget, I can put together a good build for you.