mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Cannondale Perp with a Vivid 5.1

any do it yet ? having issues finding appropriate mounting hardware, so before i go and buy it and modify it to fit is it worth it! ? anyone done it ? if so how bad did ya have to mod it ?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    the shock won't fit with the piggy in the rear if the links are identical to the judge ( are there anything machined out on the inside of the links? especially on the left side of the bike, if so they might), and i'm kinda doubting it would fit with it up front for the same clearance reasons the end of stroke rebound makes the piggy a bit wider), though don't quote me on that. The easier solution is just to push the van or dhx you got with the frame - and it is prob a superior solution as well (or i would say it is a superior solution as the shock then would perfectly match your weight, riding style and the terrain you usually ride, and it's not like one needs any propedal if you own the dhx..). I would say, no it is not worth modding the frame, send what you got to push (www.pushindustries.com)- especially as it is the cheaper solution as well.

isn't the mounting hardware the same as fox and marz use?

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    i was thinking about the push setup again.... i heard they work wonders with the Van R i did it to my old DHX 5.0 from my yeti and it worked great, i did wanna try a vivid for the adjustable top and bottom end rebound, the cost to me is abou tthe same either way *i get shop prices on parts, not at push though!*

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    too be honest, i have no idea how it would fit on a perp. The clearance issues from the judge doesn't seem to be so much of a problem when i look at the pictures of the perp, in fact i am willing to be there won't be any. The vivid only fits the one way and with the special links on the judge, but things seems to be a bit different with the perp. When comparing the two shocks it seems it will work fine.

If you get store prices you could try it and sell it on ebay afterwards without any loss if it doesn't work out. Besides, the spring for the vivid is hel-la heavy so factor in getting a titan spring. My vivid weighs at least 250 grams more than my dhx with the same spring, and no i have not tested them against each other so i don't know which is the better, though my plan was to try the vivid and send the dhx air to tftuned if it doesn't work out.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well i'm waiting for a call back from cannondale about the Vivid 5.1 mounting hardware / fitment issues, i am gonna have to replace the spring either way i think, i am using a 450 manitou spring *came with a 400, 450 was all i could find laying around the shop at th etime* and it still feels a bit light, i weigh about 215-220 geared up so i'm thinking a 500 maybe even a 550

any of you guys kickin around my weight with a 500ish spring? hows that workin ?

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    So I was really bummed to see this post, but really glad I did. I was also looking to put a top-notch shock on my Perp and was gonna go with the Vivid 5.1. Knowing that it doesn't fit, I am wondering what my options are besides the DHX 5.0 Coil. Does anyone know if the Cane Creek Double Barrel will fit? Also, how does the Roco WC compare to the DHX? sounds like very similar features...is it better/ worse....sluggish/responsive....thanks for the insight.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well after lookin around and without wanting to spend 1000 dollars on a shock i picked to push the Vanilla R, the bodies are the same as the dhx 5.0, if you were to buy a Fox DHX 5.0 send it off to get pushed, or just send your Fox Van R in to get pushed straight out they would come back the same.... which is pimp i'd recommend pushing it... i'm sure something like a rocco WC would fit, couldn't say for sure on the ccdb though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BBlazerSK5
    Knowing that it doesn't fit,.
    who says it doesn't fit? I think it does after reviewing some photos and seeing the perp in person again, but again - don't quote me on it. Has anyone actually tried attaching one on their frame and seeing if it does or does not fit? All i know is that you need custom links for the judge, but i don't think you do with the perp as the whole design is more open. The larger diameter spring might be an issue, but i don't think so. I'm just saying don't let my initial scepticism discourage you as i think i was mistaken

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    well cannondale themselves say it wont fit.... i'm sure u can make it fit.. but something will have to be modified either linkage or frame, and i'm not up for either of them this is what cannondale emailed me back after asking them about the vivid and perp together.

Hello.

Sorry but Cannondale does not recommend the use of the Rockshox Vivid rear shock on our Perp model. The Vivid will not work on the Perp without serious modification.

obviously vague, i hear rumors about the piggyback being slightly to fat but no i've never lined one up....

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    oh, go the push route then. It will prob work out just as well or even better anyway.

For the newcomer; go for a pushed van r eh or just send the shock you got with the frame to push and theywill sort you out. You don't really need the extra features on the dhx 5.0 anyway with it being custom tuned for you so the best bang for buck shock would prob be a pushed [insert the name of the shock you already got here ] (with a titanium spring )