mtbr member
    Feb 2010

Cannondale Perp Frames

I'm thinking about buying a cannondale perp but my old man is trying to convince me not to because he thinks cannondales crack a lot and they require special cannondale brand only components.
    Now I know no free ride bike lasts forever but were the perp frames any more prone to cracking then other frames designed for the same use? I know there was some problems with c-dales few years ago with their xc stuff but are their dh/fr frames strong for the most part?
    Also would the perp require any weird cannondale specific parts? I think that was true for their lefty and headshock stuff but that's it.

rebelssof@yahoo.com
    OK I have one of these bikes and love it and that being said It is a freeride bike and Cannondale frame do not fail more than any thing else. Now to some parts, it does take some different parts, but the parts are standard for FR/DH and are not what is specked on XC/AM bikes. The special parts needed for this build would be 83mm width bb/crankset and a 150mm rear wheel and either a 180mm single crown fork or a 200mm double crown fork. every thing else is pretty much off the shelf stuff except some of the frame parts such as bushing and so forth and those are available from C-dale.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    no cannondale frame is required to run any cannondale specific parts - all frames can be used with off the shelf parts from other manufacturers without any issues what so ever.

the perp is a stury bike that is def not prone to cracking. It stalled the fatigue test machine three times before they got it to snap while testing it, so it's a tough little fellow. It can take a lot of abuse. The cannondale crack'n'fail nick name is about as out of date as people claiming carbon frames/parts are unsuited for mtb use which is pure rubbish. The perp has a very good design and has frequently scored very well in test like freeride magazines annual test of freeride bikes (Freeride magazine is the freeride version of the highly acclaimed Bike magazine a german mag known for their thorough tests). If you like the look of it, go for it. THe suspension and geo is really dialed. Personally i have a judge, the bigger brother of the perp, and ii love it to bits.

happy trails.

mtbr member
    @klinkekule: enough said bro'! @ J.f.maxw: Buy it, love it!