Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    josephr
    Apr 2010

Cannondale: Now at Target!

Ok...not Target, but might as well be....was driving through ATL and stopped at the REI store to see if they had any jerseys on sale. I haven't been there in a long while so I took a few minutes to look at the GTs and Marins....then I saw F5 on the rack and then noticed all the other Cannondales on the rack....WTF??? They had RZ120s, Bad Boys, CAAD8s, etc...

Even after they were bought by Dorel, Cannondale was supposed to remain committed to boutique LBS business model...but I guess that letting Trek bully their dealers around has finally beat them down.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    REI is actually a strong retail partner for Cannondale. They have been selling bikes there long before Dorel took control.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Dude do a little research. REI isn't Target or Walmart. They're a respectable higher end sporting goods store. Get a clue before you post sensationalist crap.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Agreed, REI is not Target, and they do offer great outdoor equipment of all sorts. I bought my first Cannondale from REI over 10 years ago and I am sure they were sold there well before then.

mtbr member
    My only issue with REI is that we don't have one near me....

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Love REI...great return policy and membership

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    REI is debt free. What a way to run a business.

Stewed Screwed & Tattooed
    Feb 2004
    Here is another tid bit...REI has actually hired a lot of former Cannondale manufacturing employees as their distribution center is based in Bedford PA. That will always make them pretty cool in my book. I realize that because of their buying power they can put a hurt on the IBD, however Cannondale is highly selective as to which stores can actually sell bikes. If it is going to directly impact a local dealer that is well established with Cannondale then they will not allow that store to compete with the IBD.

-R

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bad ronald
    If it is going to directly impact a local dealer that is well established with Cannondale then they will not allow that store to compete with the IBD.

-R
    Exactly. I am yet to see any Cannondale's at the REI here, I believe its because my shop is only like 6 miles away and we were Cannondale's number 5 top dealer last year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Stupid post, REI is not even close to Target, they sell top brands for mountaineering, snowboarding, camping etc..

mtbr member
    May 2007
    I agree, Cdale at REI is fine in my book. REI has a lot of top stuff in their realm. If I want good outer wear for bad conditions, I go there first. prices arent always the best, but when you are at the top of the ski lift and the snow is blowing horizontal, price is secondary.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

Genius
    Quote Originally Posted by josephr
    Ok...not Target, but might as well be....was driving through ATL and stopped at the REI store to see if they had any jerseys on sale. I haven't been there in a long while so I took a few minutes to look at the GTs and Marins....then I saw F5 on the rack and then noticed all the other Cannondales on the rack....WTF??? They had RZ120s, Bad Boys, CAAD8s, etc...

Even after they were bought by Dorel, Cannondale was supposed to remain committed to boutique LBS business model...but I guess that letting Trek bully their dealers around has finally beat them down.

HAHAHA!!!! Your a fool. REI has been selling Cdale's for many years. Get with the program bubba....
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Josephr,

You criticize REI /Cannondale, but what are you doing there? If they are so bad, why aren’t you looking for jerseys at your local LBS? Or better yet, if they are almost as bad as Target, shouldn’t YOU be shopping at Target's sporting goods department?

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by eaglecat
    Josephr,

You criticize REI /Cannondale, but what are you doing there? If they are so bad, why aren’t you looking for jerseys at your local LBS? Or better yet, if they are almost as bad as Target, shouldn’t YOU be shopping at Target's sporting goods department?
    OWNED!!!!

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    This is kind of trollish. Anyhow, REI is badass to the bone. They're more of an outfitter than a big box retail store. I wish they had one near me but I doubt Waco, TX has the market for it so if I ever want to hit one up I have to go to Austin.
    build a man a fire keep him warm for a day, set a man on fire keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mtbr member
    REI is a place that sells quality bikes. Now if you had said you saw them at The Sports Authority that would be different.

Can't stop the Prophet
    No Cannondale's on their website yet.

Can't stop the Prophet
    Ok...not Target, but might as well be....was driving through ATL and stopped at the REI store to see if they had any jerseys on sale. I haven't been there in a long while so I took a few minutes to look at the GTs and Marins....then I saw F5 on the rack ..............

Let's not forget the Diamondback's as well!!!

mtbr member
    they sell trojans at target too, and i put a whole lot of faith in them so no worries.

mtbr member
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by brows141
    No Cannondale's on their website yet.

You cant really sell cdales on line. You can purchase and pay on line, but you have to pick up at the store.
    Lead by my Lefty............... right down the trail, no brakes.

mtbr member
    Up here REI is mostly a Yippie/ rich folk clothing outfitter. Yes, they do have the nice selection of outdoor gear that you would expect to see at REI, but every time I ever go there to check out prices the store is flooded with people who look like they just took clothing off the rack yesterday or are there buying high end backpacking gear to take with them in their Rvs

I feel kinda scrubby when I walk around in there only wearing jeans and a tee-shirt. :

Besides arn't most REIs independently owned they can carry whatever brands work for them so long as its within corporates preferred list of approved suppliers???

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    REI's scratch and dent sales are awesome. $0.83 sales are almost as good.

gmk
    angels get bald too

"boutique LBS business modell" ??

what´s the reason of is this posting ...
    Last edited by gmk; 07-18-2010 at 06:28 AM.

"Show your bike some love and it will show the love back."
    Eric, niner bikes

the most important vehicle is a 29er bicycle

mtbr member
    Love REI!
    JRA Cycles
    My Trek HiFi
    NEMBA Racing
    SNEMBA
    I love learning new things in my pajamas.

mtbr member
    well...this thread didnt go quite how you planned...did it

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast